Crown Royal Hand Selected Barrel

R-Savage
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎18‎:‎36‎, fishnbowljoe said:

Taste- Very sweet on entry. The vanilla is definitely there, along with a pecan like nutty undertone. The mid-plate is where the rye/spiciness becomes apparent. It's warming, but not too much so. The finish is what mystifies me. The spice is still there, but along with that is some light oak and smoke too. (Possibly from being aged in new charred oak barrels?) The finish isn't all that long either, especially considering it's a 103 proof, supposedly 7 year old, rye based whiskey. What gives here? Like I said, it mystifies me.

Nice review. Just remember this is a mashbill reported to be more like a bourbon with a majority of corn and only about 30% rye. If you go in looking for a straight rye whisky it is not likely to be what you expect.

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/canadian-whiskey/crown-royal-hand-selected-barrel-review/

That said it is not exactly like what one might expect from a high-ish (OGD level) rye bourbon mashbill either. The sweetness still make me wonder about the potential mystery of the undefined 9% that makes all Canadian whiskey a bit suspect.

• 1 month later...

I bought a bottle of this from the PA State Store in York, PA. It's not bad, really. I've only sampled my bottle a few times, but it's good. There is more dry oak instead of toffee but it's really interesting stuff. It's not deep or potent, but it's certainly a cut above most of the standard Canadians. If it were less than $40, I would probably go back a buy a few more bottles. I'll stick to my cheapo CR Black or JP Wiser Rye.

• 2 months later...

Thread bump here - Gary Gillman's recent thread re: the new Wiser release which he started last week prompted me to revisit some Canadian whiskey, specifically some CRs, I have sitting on my shelf before I expand my selection by buying the Wiser.  I reread this thread and, after sipping on neat CR HSB in order fortify myself so I can grill chicken outside in the rain, I have to say - I do sort of like it, BUT -

See Tot's comments, Joe's comments, tanstaafl2's comments, and my comments above.  ALL those things we said still apply.  I also had a thought: this CRHSB is so sweet it could be used in a classic Old Fashioned withOUT adding a sugar cube or any simple syrup, and I bet it would be a good Old Fashioned, not just a use-it-up cocktail.  And, it sure does not taste like a 100+ proof whiskey, so be careful.

19 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thread bump here - Gary Gillman's recent thread re: the new Wiser release which he started last week prompted me to revisit some Canadian whiskey, specifically some CRs, I have sitting on my shelf before I expand my selection by buying the Wiser.  I reread this thread and, after sipping on neat CR HSB in order fortify myself so I can grill chicken outside in the rain, I have to say - I do sort of like it, BUT -

See Tot's comments, Joe's comments, tanstaafl2's comments, and my comments above.  ALL those things we said still apply.  I also had a thought: this CRHSB is so sweet it could be used in a classic Old Fashioned withOUT adding a sugar cube or any simple syrup, and I bet it would be a good Old Fashioned, not just a use-it-up cocktail.  And, it sure does not taste like a 100+ proof whiskey, so be careful.

Harry, I've been drinking some Canadians recently as well.  I'm really liking them.  I'm a fan of CR NHR and I'm really liking Lot 40 recently.  Please let me know if you see the new Wiser around. I'd like to try it.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle of this a couple weeks ago at Total Wine.  I've really been enjoying it.  It's a good dessert whiskey.  Not much of a nose but to me, it tastes like vanilla ice cream with bananas (real bananas, not the artificial banana candy-like flavor I get from JD) and a hint of coconut. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/13/2016 at 8:33 AM, meadeweber said:

Picked up a bottle of this a couple weeks ago at Total Wine.  I've really been enjoying it.  It's a good dessert whiskey.  Not much of a nose but to me, it tastes like vanilla ice cream with bananas (real bananas, not the artificial banana candy-like flavor I get from JD) and a hint of coconut. 

Enjoyed reading this thread and was pleased to read Joe's notes as to me they're spot on.  ^Agree here too -- I find myself often reaching for this at the end of the evening.  The sweetness and (seemingly) light body are a perfect way to prepare one's head for the pillow.

• 2 years later...

I have been researching Canadian whiskey a bit, as it seems closer to American styles than the whiskeys made by our European friends. Up to now, the only Canadian stuff I can recall drinking is various iterations of Whistle Pig and a small taste of Lot 40. Unfortunately, Virginia ABC does not seem to carry many Canadian whiskeys. Even more unfortunate, Canadian whiskey seems to largely be bottled at 80 proof.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn of this 103 proof Crown Royal product and it generated enough interest for me to buy a bottle, even though $55 is high for something I was pretty in the dark about. I am also pleasantly surprised by the contents of the bottle. This is the bottle selected for Virginia ABC if that wasn't clear.

The whiskey is lighter in color than most bourbons. The nose is a bit sweet, but pleasant. The flavor is good, I detect some candied sweetness and a marshmellow flavor. The finish is where some rye spice comes in, but it is disappointingly short. I would never guess this was 103 proof and it is quite easy to drink. While it is certainly sweet, it is not overwhelming. I am pretty sensitive to sweetness and have a general aversion to overly sweet alcoholic beverages, but enjoyed this one. So my verdict is: good, but not as good as comparably priced bourbons. I could be convinced to try other nicer Crown Royal products, but would be cautious about paying too much for them. Any suggestions for good Canadian whiskeys at a decent proof I might reasonably be able to find in the DC area would be appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

Any suggestions for good Canadian whiskeys at a decent proof I might reasonably be able to find in the DC area would be appreciated.

I personally think the Crown Royal Noble Collection 13 year Blender's Mash is a fantastic whiskey. Some of the Forty Creek LE's have been pretty tasty though they could all benefit from some proof the Copper Pot isn't bad either. Aside from Whistlepig, Masterson's also bottles ADL Rye and at least here is a bit cheaper though also a bit lower proof though. As a cheapie I actually really like the JP Wiser's triple Barrel Rye, I haven't seen it in NJ but I have bought it a couple times from PA State liquor stores for under $20 it is also 90 proof. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

Any suggestions for good Canadian whiskeys at a decent proof I might reasonably be able to find in the DC area would be appreciated.

I think your best bet is a Whistle Pig store pick in DC or Maryland (although supposedly a good number of them are MGP).  

15 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I really like CR Northern Harvest Rye.  I would also recommend that you give Lot 40 another try.

On 1/12/2016 at 6:18 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, I finally decided to break down and buy a bottle of this. :unsure:  I just happened to spot it way behind the checkout counter at a local place I frequent. It was $46.99, which was $6.00 dollars less than the "sale" price at a local grocery store chain. 

I've tried it a few times now, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of this. Interesting to say the least.

Here are my tasting notes, as best as I can do for now.

Color- Fairly light amber, with a slight reddish hue.

Legs- Not much at all. They slide down the glass fairly quickly and in basically one fell swoop. Not much separation at all.

Nose- Heavy vanilla with hints of caramel.

Taste- Very sweet on entry. The vanilla is definitely there, along with a pecan like nutty undertone. The mid-plate is where the rye/spiciness becomes apparent. It's warming, but not too much so. The finish is what mystifies me. The spice is still there, but along with that is some light oak and smoke too. (Possibly from being aged in new charred oak barrels?) The finish isn't all that long either, especially considering it's a 103 proof, supposedly 7 year old, rye based whiskey. What gives here? Like I said, it mystifies me.

Many years ago, I cut my teeth, so to speak, on CC and CR. I like CR. I like CR Black even better, and I thought the CR Cask 16 was very good. I was really looking forward to a 103 proof CR product. All in all, a bit of an odd bird if you ask me, and a slight disappointment. Not bad by any means, and drinkable for sure, but not at all what I was expecting. Probably worth a try if you're looking for something kinda different to try. As for me, I probably won't be buying another bottle unless the price drops by at least $10-$15 a bottle. 

Cheers! Joe

An addendum here. Since this post, I’ve tried a few other things that have recently been mentioned in this thread.

A very, very short summary of my thoughts:

Lot 40-definite pass. I shared a sample of this with our local bourbon/cigar group a while back. A unanimous thumbs down.

CR Harvest Rye-a little better than the Lot 40, but also a pass.

CR Bourbon Mash-different, doesn’t really suck, different....:huh: Kinda depends, but more than likely still a pass. BTW, I said different twice for a reason. <_<

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

An addendum here. Since this post, I’ve tried a few other things that have recently been mentioned in this thread.

A very, very short summary of my thoughts:

Lot 40-definite pass. I shared a sample of this with our local bourbon/cigar group a while back. A unanimous thumbs down.

CR Harvest Rye-a little better than the Lot 40, but also a pass.

CR Bourbon Mash-different, doesn’t really suck, different....:huh: Kinda depends, but more than likely still a pass. BTW, I said different twice for a reason. <_<

Biba! Joe

I haven't had a Lot 40 since the 2012 release which I still have a few pours of, I can kind of see in it what some people dig but I'm kind of with you it's not really for me. Same for CR NHR, CR Bourbon Mash/Blender's mash is really no better for me but the 13 year they did is in my opinion a real good option for the price.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It looks like next time I'm able to take a field trip I might be able to get the CR 13yr bourbon mash. I've seen Masterson's, but this seems basically the same as WhistlePig. I recall seeing Lot 40 in a Virginia ABC, but it no longer appears in their online inventory.

Pendleton Director's Reserve is 20 years old and $130, but still only 80 proof. Maybe I am focusing too much on proof, based on experience with bourbon, but I have a difficult time believing I'm gonna be happy spending that much on an 80 proof whiskey. I will say that in my limited experience with them, single malt Scotch seems fine at 86 proof, if not 80. Man, if this branching out into Canadian whiskey doesn't yield interesting results, I might actually slip and fall into exploring Scotch more.

No offense to my Canadian Grandmother but the Scotch exploration is probably far more rewarding. 

How about some cask strength NCF Scotch Single Grain Whisky with some age on it? A generally unloved category-- but I have some very interesting and rewarding bottles.

• 8 months later...

Hadn’t tried one of these yet, but I know a friend of my brother is a big CR fan, so if I don’t like it, I might be passing it along.

IMG_0113.JPG

On 10/21/2019 at 2:51 PM, lcpfratn said:

Hadn’t tried one of these yet, but I know a friend of my brother is a big CR fan, so if I don’t like it, I might be passing it along.

Not sure how consistent they are from barrel to barrel (and not entirely sure they are really a single barrel for that matter. Nobody from Diageo ever would give us a straight answer. Shocking I know.) but I have had a couple different ones and they were certainly better than standard CR.

I know, I am damning it with faint praise...

• I like it 1

On 10/21/2019 at 2:51 PM, lcpfratn said:

Well, some years ago I decided to give one of these "special" CRs a try after reading some comments here on SB.  Could have been a post from the drunk parrot guy - I don't remember - that pushed me over the edge.  Or maybe Paddy.  It was SOMEbody here.:o 

IN SUM - You all are NOT going to get me to bite again, at least until I can get a sip or two for FREE.  I do like the canvas bags these things come in, though.  They are great for storing corks and screw tops.  EDIT - Oh, yeah, that previous purchase also involved such a bag - complete with THONG which some of you thought was really funny hahahaha when I mentioned it.  That wasn't enough to outwiegh the fact it took me about six months to finish off that one 750.  Late at night after my taste buds were fried.  Newbies BEWARE.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

A half and half blend of this and Northern Harvest fixes the proof issues of NH, and adds some of the fruity sweetness of the NH to the HSB. 

Pro tip or hack job - you decide. But I like it.

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:51 AM, Marekv8 said:

How about some cask strength NCF Scotch Single Grain Whisky with some age on it? A generally unloved category-- but I have some very interesting and rewarding bottles.

I missed this the first time around, but now that I see it, any suggestions on stuff I might find that fits this description?

I had a pour of a 27yr single grain SMWS bottling from I think Girvan. It was pretty good.

This Eadie Cameronbridge is quite nice

23 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I missed this the first time around, but now that I see it, any suggestions on stuff I might find that fits this description?

I had a pour of a 27yr single grain SMWS bottling from I think Girvan. It was pretty good.

This Eadie Cameronbridge is quite nice— a very recent buy so bottles should still be afloat. 

3EA0203C-22D6-41E9-ABEF-DA9D858CE05E.thumb.jpeg.785867c379229904bcd887dc65ca7f7b.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 1/12/2016 at 6:18 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, I finally decided to break down and buy a bottle of this. :unsure:  I just happened to spot it way behind the checkout counter at a local place I frequent. It was $46.99, which was $6.00 dollars less than the "sale" price at a local grocery store chain. 

I've tried it a few times now, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of this. Interesting to say the least.

Here are my tasting notes, as best as I can do for now.

Color- Fairly light amber, with a slight reddish hue.

Legs- Not much at all. They slide down the glass fairly quickly and in basically one fell swoop. Not much separation at all.

Nose- Heavy vanilla with hints of caramel.

Many years ago, I cut my teeth, so to speak, on CC and CR. I like CR. I like CR Black even better, and I thought the CR Cask 16 was very good. I was really looking forward to a 103 proof CR product. All in all, a bit of an odd bird if you ask me, and a slight disappointment. Not bad by any means, and drinkable for sure, but not at all what I was expecting. Probably worth a try if you're looking for something kinda different to try. As for me, I probably won't be buying another bottle unless the price drops by at least $10-$15 a bottle. 

Cheers! Joe

Well, I bought another one of these a while back. It was on close out for $32.99 so I figured why not. I had a small pour after lunch today. My notes from above pretty much still hold true. The only difference is that the nutty pecan undertone has been replaced by one of peanuts.

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.