Arturo Fuente Anejo Extra Viejo #50

MikeD
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Arturo Fuente Anejo cigars are made with the same filler and binder as the Opus-X cigars and are just about as hard to find, too, except they're wrapped in a dark Connecticut broadleaf wrapper that's aged for one year in oak cognac barrels. The result is a full-bodied cigar with a complex and unique flavor that only Arturo Fuente could create. If you're lucky enough to find them in stock, don't pass them up.

In one word.... awesome!

This robusto (5 1/4 x 50) was given to me and is from the 2002 batch, so it has a year of humi time. I just scored 4 Anejo #46 cigars, so I figured it was time to burn this one. I matched it with a nice glass of Old Weller 107 proof burbon on the rocks. The strong Burbon with the full bodied cigar matched very nicely.

Upon lighting, I got notes of cedar, spice and floral notes, probably from being aged in cognac barrels, with some sweetness to it. Since the cigar is 2/3 the same as an Opus X, I did find some of the same qualities as the Opus... the spice and power, but was much smoother and there was no pepper flavor. The cigar burned well and very evenly, with a perfect draw to it. As a smoked it down the cedar flavor changed to the taste of a nice fireplace.

I found that the bite and sweetness to the Weller and spice and smoothness of the Anejo were a perfect match.

If you ever see an Fuente Anejo at your shop, it is a must try! Eventhough it shares the binder and filler of an Opus X, it is a totally different cigar. A great example on how a cigar wrapper makes a huge difference in flavor.

I have an Anejo teasing me from the humidor. I've never tried one, and the anticipation is killing me. They are so rare, and hard to get. I'm looking for something extra-special to happen so that I can feel justified in smoking it.

Nice review, buddy.

Isn't today Wednesday?

The Only 12/10 of 2003.

That should be reason enough

Smoke It Man, Smoke IT!!!!!!!!

Matchbooks Away

bandit.gifbandit.gif

I always have this tendency to save the best for last.

But some days are better than others.

After all, who will smoke all my best cigars when I'm gone?

I need to focus more on that attitude.

Maybe I'll light the Anejo when I get home from my last appointment. bandit.gif

I would gladly take that task on your behalf, but I must say I would just as much like to see you enjoy your goodies!

TomC

Man those Anejo's are fine smokes.

Not for the faint of heart either.

Brent I suggest you waiting until

January 1, 2004 and enjoy with an old friend. toast.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yummy Yummy! The Shark (#77) is my all-time, never fail favorite cigar! In fact, I think I'll go smoke on from 2001 right now!

-Brian

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.