Five Fathers Pure Rye Malt Whisky

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I knew it was coming, but certainly didn't realize it was ready.  Today, I saw (and procured) one of what appears to be the first release of this brand in more than 70 years! 

Distilled and aged in house by the Old Pogue Distillery of Maysville, it's only 2 years old, but thankfully, bottled at 110 proof.  The label indicates that they are using the same recipe as the 'old' H. E. Pogue Distillery. 

@ $59 and change at a local LB, I haven't seen any discussion here as of yet, which (in anticipation of future discussion) leads me to start this here thread. :lol: Like many, I am very pleased with the present state of rye whisky in the America's, and am certainly willing to pay a fair premium to support an up and coming distiller who wishes to bring new fruit to the market! 

Does anyone have any additional information and/or tasting notes? 

If not, I'll be cracking this puppy soon... so you can count on me to make something up! ;)

Bueller? 

image.jpeg

Edited by Paddy

Certainly intriguing! The higher proof is nice. Do you know if it is full size barrel aging? They had released some in 2013 as a 1yo in 375 ml bottles I think and an earlier thread about it seemed to suggest it was all aged in 53 gallon barrels which I think is another good thing. So this must be 2-3yo whiskey.

I hope they intend to continue to age some of it to at least 4yo or more otherwise unless it is substantially better than the typical younger ryes out there it will likely prove little more than a novelty for me. And at that cost point it may remain a novelty anyway with Pikesville out there for about the same price (or less!) at the same proof and 6 years of age. Presuming enough Pikesville is made to make it a regular edition to the shelf. Although the all malt formula, full size barrel aging and higher proof does help it stand out a bit and help justify the extra cost.

The Potrero, which is also an all malted rye (and rather spendy too!) but typically around 3+ years, might be a good comparison point. The Oppidan rye from Illinois that I found recently also is an all malt rye but probably aged mostly in small barrels for at most a year or so I think. That was an interesting rye but too young with small barrel twang to be something I would choose to drink with any regularity.

56903898cb0d8_Oppidanmaltedrye.JPG.c2714

Edited by tanstaafl2

I love the Lot 40 (malted Canadian rye), but the price of this one for 2yr old rye definitely makes it a "try before I buy".  Look forward to hearing what ya think!!

I'm pleased to see a Five Fathers 750, since I wasn't going to buy a 375 from the distillery.

Old Pogue is a very interesting bourbon, although sourced for several years.

I wish them the best and hope they restore their family's distilling heritage.

Bruce, you are correct in that they released it earlier as a 1 yr old and now as a 2 (I somehow overlooked that thread) also from what I'm sure is a 53 gallon barrel.  I gave it a go, but will refrain from notes until I have a chance at another pass.  It is young and grainy, but not without promise.  Please bear with me and I will get some fair notes posted in the next week or so!  

I can't help but wonder how close this is to the old PA style ryes (but do not have anything on hand to compare).  Gary, I can tell you that it has little familiarity to the Lot 40 other than the grain used!  :lol: 

Having said that, anyone passing through the area is certainly welcome to a sample pour!  And as Paul noted above, I look forward to comparing this 2 yr old with a 3 and 4 when readily available, and wish them nothing but the best

• 1 year later...

The malt ryes have a completely different mouth-feel and sweetness, compared to the ryes. If you are looking for longer-aged expressions than the small-cask versions, also check out North American Steamship Rye produced at Quincy Street Distillery in Riverside, Illinois. Their first release was a small-cask (1yo) that came out after Anchor but before Oppidan or Old Pogue's expressions. Since then, they have also released a 2yo and a 3yo straight malt rye of North American Steamship Rye aged in full-size barrel. They will be releasing a 4yo Bottle-in-Bond (100 proof) of North American Steamship Rye in March 2017.

8 hours ago, Bluestar said:

The malt ryes have a completely different mouth-feel and sweetness, compared to the ryes. If you are looking for longer-aged expressions than the small-cask versions, also check out North American Steamship Rye produced at Quincy Street Distillery in Riverside, Illinois. Their first release was a small-cask (1yo) that came out after Anchor but before Oppidan or Old Pogue's expressions. Since then, they have also released a 2yo and a 3yo straight malt rye of North American Steamship Rye aged in full-size barrel. They will be releasing a 4yo Bottle-in-Bond (100 proof) of North American Steamship Rye in March 2017.

Thank you for this update.  It is a different animal, as I've got a bottle of the Old Pogue (Five Fathers) and, after heavy doses of the Ky and MGP rye's of today, it does take a bit of time to reset the palate to the older style rye's.

Edited by Paddy
Just realized that you already knew I had a bottle of Five Fathers (didn't realize what thread we were in)!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.