New Kirkland (Costco) Tennessee Whiskey

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I gave this a whirl tonight and my conclusion is... if it ain't Dickel, it's sure doing a hell of a good impersonation.  :)

I'll also add that I enjoyed it.  Sure, it's a bit thinnish on the mouthfeel, but very full flavored, with a warming, lengthy finish.  @ 7 years, 103 proof and $29 per liter, we could do much worse.  IMO, much better QPR than the Dickel BP's out there.... 

Admittedly, I did not do a SBS with an actual Dickel BP bottle, but my impression is that this would stand up pretty well with it in a head to head.  

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that is so humorous to me about this Tennessee Bourbon is that no one in Tennessee will ever be able to buy it in Tennessee! Liquor can only be sold in liquor stores in Tennessee, and I doubt this would be sold outside of Costco sores. A recent TN law change in July finally allows wine to be sold in grocery stores, so our Costco stores now carry wine, but I doubt we will ever see liquor in grocery stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2016 at 10:52 AM, DonutsNBourbon said:

I was just at costco this past weekend and saw it there too, was wondering what was up with that

Try it.  You will be presently surprised.  Especially true in a straight up taste test against Knob Creek 100 proof.

• 1 month later...

I can't remember the last time I checked in here. However, upon seeing a new offering at my local Costco I decided to check in. I think I will give the Kirkland seven-year-old Tennessee straight bourbon whiskey a try. Is there anyone around who still remembers me?

Dave Morefield

1 hour ago, bluesbassdad said:

I can't remember the last time I checked in here. However, upon seeing a new offering at my local Costco I decided to check in. I think I will give the Kirkland seven-year-old Tennessee straight bourbon whiskey a try. Is there anyone around who still remembers me?

Dave Morefield

Hello, Dave!  It is so very good to hear from you!  You are remembered fondly by many, here.  I hope things are well your way!

15 hours ago, bluesbassdad said:

Dave Morefield

Hi Dave. Nice to see back. Hope all is well.

Cheers! Joe

Hi Dave. Sure, I remember you well. I hope to see more of you in the future.

How was the Costco whiskey?

Tim

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2017 at 6:31 PM, bluesbassdad said:

Dave Morefield

SO!  Have you given it a shot?  Some of us are sitting here with baited breath awaiting a review.  Finally found a Costco in Laurel MD in spite of my crappy GPS that carries it, but it's a 45 minute drive.  Worthwhile?

I occasionally lament about the lack of variety at my local Costco.  They didn't have any of their own brand of bourbon my last two visits.  Not even an empty spot on the shelf where it is supposed to go.  

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I occasionally lament about the lack of variety at my local Costco.  They didn't have any of their own brand of bourbon my last two visits.  Not even an empty spot on the shelf where it is supposed to go.  

To me, that is the way Costco is with almost everything. You find something, try it, like it, and when you go back, they don't carry it anymore.

Tim

11 hours ago, ratcheer said:

To me, that is the way Costco is with almost everything. You find something, try it, like it, and when you go back, they don't carry it anymore.

Tim

Tim, I spent some time in Pelham last year and couldn't find a liquor store if my life depended on it.  Lots of wine at Wal-Mart, though. I was working odd hours.  One of my friends was there for the Def Leppard concert.  We got off so late that I didn't feel comfortable scouting around Birmingham since I didn't know my way around very well.  I find a nice watering hole (Mexican food) by my hotel.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Yes, the Alabama ABC stores are fairly inconspicuous; you could pass right by one and not even know it. They close fairly early, too (around 9 PM, I think).

There are some private stores that sell liquor at high markups from the already high ABC prices. But I agree, it is pretty hit or miss to find one.

Sorry, but this is the Bible Belt, and liquor is pretty widely frowned upon.

Tim

• 4 months later...

Hello all am new here. Found this because I was searching about tenn. Distillery. I was there today in columbia tn. I found out what i could and man are they tight lipped there. I did find that tgey dont have their own brand/product but package it for sale to australia and obviously costco. They wouldnt say where the whiskey comes from but a jim beam truck was seen pulling in there. They have 2 barrel houses and a warehouse with a bunch of new barrels and stainless silos. They just built another warehouse and are planning more in the next year.  They definitely do something there as u can smell the mash. Anyway i collect whiskey and i drink a bit of it too lol. Look forward to reading and learning from you all. Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Cornfed12 said:

Anyone find new information on this Costco bourbon?

The chances of getting confirmation of the source are basically zero but I would say if you like DIckel 9 yr Store picks there is a pretty good chance you will like it.

• I like it 1

Well I just put in a few minutes on looking into this deeper, I did find in the TTB listings that the only "Distillery" listed in Columbia, TN is/was Tennessee Distilling Group 1929 Ridgecrest Dr, Columbia TN. What appears to be there in a google map search is a small facility https://www.google.com/maps/place/1929+Ridgecrest+Dr,+Columbia,+TN+38401/@35.6708203,-87.0090127,3a,75y,276.51h,97.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxcKI1xTNFZYFyuI0bVEyew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x886370ef81cbce3d:0x2865a7e8a2a51424!8m2!3d35.6711292!4d-87.0100097

Trademarkia shows three TM's listed Tennessee Distilling, LLC (active) Tennquilla (abandoned) and Tennessee Distilling Group (abandoned)

Bing actually has a more recent view of the facility (2015 vs 2013) where you can see some stainless outside which may suggest production but I suppose could also just be storage for tanked whiskey?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=1929+ridgecrest+dr%2C+columbia%2C+tn&qs=n&form=QBLH&sp=-1&pq=1929+ridgecrest+dr%2C+columbia%2C+tn&sc=1-32&sk=&cvid=4239C19EEAB24ADAAB8BA461EF1ECD82

TTB COLA shows the same address:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=15224001000270

Interestingly the TTB listing for the Kirkland Tennessee whiskey shows the same address and also lists Master Distiller Mike Williams (Collier and McKeel)

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15224001000270

So who really knows maybe it is in fact Collier and McKeel, what would be interesting about that would be that since it is a 7 yr product it would be small barrel whiskey since they didn't start using 53 gallon barrels until 2014

20 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well I just put in a few minutes on looking into this deeper, I did find in the TTB listings that the only "Distillery" listed in Columbia, TN is/was Tennessee Distilling Group 1929 Ridgecrest Dr, Columbia TN. What appears to be there in a google map search is a small facility https://www.google.com/maps/place/1929+Ridgecrest+Dr,+Columbia,+TN+38401/@35.6708203,-87.0090127,3a,75y,276.51h,97.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxcKI1xTNFZYFyuI0bVEyew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x886370ef81cbce3d:0x2865a7e8a2a51424!8m2!3d35.6711292!4d-87.0100097

Trademarkia shows three TM's listed Tennessee Distilling, LLC (active) Tennquilla (abandoned) and Tennessee Distilling Group (abandoned)

Bing actually has a more recent view of the facility (2015 vs 2013) where you can see some stainless outside which may suggest production but I suppose could also just be storage for tanked whiskey?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=1929+ridgecrest+dr%2C+columbia%2C+tn&qs=n&form=QBLH&sp=-1&pq=1929+ridgecrest+dr%2C+columbia%2C+tn&sc=1-32&sk=&cvid=4239C19EEAB24ADAAB8BA461EF1ECD82

TTB COLA shows the same address:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=15224001000270

Interestingly the TTB listing for the Kirkland Tennessee whiskey shows the same address and also lists Master Distiller Mike Williams (Collier and McKeel)

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15224001000270

So who really knows maybe it is in fact Collier and McKeel, what would be interesting about that would be that since it is a 7 yr product it would be small barrel whiskey since they didn't start using 53 gallon barrels until 2014

Sourcers turned producers? Didn't Kirkland have a bourbon before this tennessee one that was "known"

to be beam? Would explain the truck sighting. I would bet they sourced and sold a bunch of whiskey to costco and had/made a distillery. Your guess on the order of events is as good as mine

21 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

Sourcers turned producers? Didn't Kirkland have a bourbon before this tennessee one that was "known"

to be beam? Would explain the truck sighting. I would bet they sourced and sold a bunch of whiskey to costco and had/made a distillery. Your guess on the order of events is as good as mine

I'm just kind of ignoring the story about the Beam truck posted by a user with 1 total post. 

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm just kind of ignoring the story about the Beam truck posted by a user with 1 total post. 

Well regardless of his one post there was a Kirkland kentucky straight bourbon at one time and it was "believed" to be beam. (this reads hostile... Not intended)

Edited by bourbon4all

14 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

Well regardless of his one post there was a Kirkland kentucky straight bourbon at one time and it was "believed" to be beam. (this reads hostile... Not intended)

Yeah I get where the post is going but I just tend to like to go with actual facts instead of hearsay, didn't read it as hostile by the way. 

16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

It could be a lot of things, but it only tastes like Dickel (to me).:P

YMMV...

I think the worst thing about this thread right now is that since I've never had Collier and McKeel I'm now tempted to buy a bottle for.... uhm.... further investigative journalism? Full well I know it is a product I will likely not like. 

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I think the worst thing about this thread right now is that since I've never had Collier and McKeel I'm now tempted to buy a bottle for.... uhm.... further investigative journalism? Full well I know it is a product I will likely not like. 

ha that's great. that'd be taking one for the team

Kirkland is indeed outsourced from Dickel and only bottled by the small facility over in Columbia.

• 4 months later...

We were visiting some friends out of state this weekend and went to Costco, so I was finally able to get a bottle of Kirkland Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey (103 proof and 7yo). You can't buy it in Tennessee since Costco can't sell liquor in the state...only wine and beer, so I've been curious to try this. The price has certainly gone up though, I paid $47 plus tax for a liter bottle. 

The conclusion...it's pretty good, but not as much of a value proposition anymore at the current price. As far as the source goes, many of you know I like Dickel, and I especially like private selections of Dickel Barrel Select and some of the Barrell Bourbon batches that are obviously sourced from Dickel. After several pours of this over the last couple of nights, I'm definitely convinced that Costco is sourcing this from Dickel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.