Rebel Yell 10 Year SB

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Yes, it doesn't taste like any other wheater to me too. In my humble opinion wine barrel aging and finishing is just not right for bourbon. In the case of the #3, which used Calif. Cab barrels, it takes the flavor profile in the wrong direction, imparting a somewhat tart, sour fruit quality a little like raspberry or sour cherry on my palate. While that might be fine for certain wines, it just doesn't work for bourbon, where sweet, candied, and Christmas-like flavors and fruits should dominate.

Blood Oath #3 had no wheated bourbon in it.

On 10/1/2016 at 0:50 AM, jaxn slim said:

I tried some today. It's nice. Definitely more going on than Larceny. Lots of caramel and coriander. There's something else, too, that I couldn't place. I'll have to revisit soon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just found a bottle in Lake Placid, NY. I get baked goods flavors here, such as a pretty pronounced baker's or powdered confectionary sugar flavor on the palate, or maybe Krispy Kreme donuts. Overall, a light bourbon but very pleasant, with some complexity and character despite the lightness. At 10 years old it's very smooth; you don't really notice the 100 proof. I hate to call a bourbon "pretty," but this one is, maybe elegant is the word. But although not in the big, boisterous, intense style I like, still a decent bourbon.

Edited by BourbonDude

I was hoping for some of this to reach AL this next few months but if prices are 75.99 I would almost certainly pass. 

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

So if this is HH wheated, how does it compare to a a 12yr VSOF?

It's better in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

That's both good and bad to read :) I wasn't moved by the 12. Now I've got an endorsement from a trusted palate...dammit!

I agree. I did a blind SBS on both last year and the RY was the clear winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/19/2017 at 8:38 AM, BottledInBond said:

PM me and I'll send you a sample of a different barrel if you're interested in trying another. I've liked this stuff but I've only tried a few barrels. Maybe I've gotten lucky with the ones I've tried or maybe my taste buds aren't as discriminating as some other people here. With a bunch of barrels there is bound to be some variation though so I don't doubt that some people have gotten better ones than others. 

On 8/19/2017 at 10:45 AM, 0895 said:

I'll let you try mine as well (from the more recent release of it here in town) when we cross paths again.

It definitely does NOT taste like any Weller or Makers or other wheaters I've tried.  It's different and that's why I like it. 

Find my self constantly drawn to the bottle, because I can't figure it out.  It's like a new girlfriend in my sea of familiar faces. :)

Thanks for the generous offers. I might take you up on that.  But then if I like it this time I'm going to want to get a bottle of it and now it's hard to find again. Lol 

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Thanks for the generous offers. I might take you up on that.  But then if I like it this time I'm going to want to get a bottle of it and now it's hard to find again. Lol 

you could probably trade me something for the remaining half of my bottle  ;)

On August 20, 2017 at 10:04 PM, 0895 said:

you could probably trade me something for the remaining half of my bottle  ;)

Uh Hummmmm. <_< Even if y'all are just kidding around, if you're gonna talk trades and what not, the open forums isn't the place. Handle it in private from now on please.

Thanks. Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Uh Hummmmm. <_< Even if y'all are just kidding around, if you're gonna talk trades and what not, the open forums isn't the place. Handle it in private from now on please.

Thanks. Joe

Easy, Sheriff. 

Just messing around. 

Clueby didn't care his bottle and I'm just teasing him.  That's what the winky face emoji was / is for.

My apologies to the forum...

35 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Easy, Sheriff. 

Just messing around. 

Clueby didn't care his bottle and I'm just teasing him.  That's what the winky face emoji was / is for.

My apologies to the forum...

There's been a bit of messing around on the site lately. I thought it was time for a "gentle" reminder. 

Joe

With a Rebel Yell, he cried no more, no more, no more.

[emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I found a couple bottles last week and I'm on the fence based on some of the reviews.  It's also $60 a bottle, which seems to be a bit high compared to other areas.

I still have some of this from a couple years ago. It was from a particular barrel that was incredible!

Excellent juice- wish I could find it again.

2 hours ago, cfochs said:

I found a couple bottles last week and I'm on the fence based on some of the reviews.  It's also $60 a bottle, which seems to be a bit high compared to other areas.

I don't believe I've paid less than that for a bottle.

3 hours ago, cfochs said:

The two bottles of RY10 that I have purchased over the last year or so were both right at that same price.  (And, entirely worth the price, IMO.)

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, cfochs said:

That price is about right.  I thought the juice was good, but overpriced.  I may pick up another down the road if I see one and have the itch, but they are not something I would seek out, bunker, or have to have if that makes sense.

Ben

4 hours ago, cfochs said:

That's what it costs here in Pennsy.   It's only stocked in the larger State stores, though.    Is it worth the  price?   I'd say so.   Best wheated bourbon I've had recently (but then again,  I don't drink too much wheated bourbon).  

• 4 months later...

Bump. 

Looks like there has been another release.  Has anyone tried the 2019?  Wondering if I should grab one (or more) for the bunker or allocate those funds to an extra bottle(s) of ECBP.  I'll probably buy one either way.  If I do I'll post my thoughts in a week or two when I open it up.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.