Rebel Yell 10 Year SB

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

HH or not, a 10 year wheater coming on the market is interesting and worth a try. At 100pf I'll hope it makes an acceptable substiture for OWA which I don't see much anymore.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a huge price gouge.  Having said that, a new wheated option at 10 yrs and 100p is worth some attention!

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a huge price gouge.  Having said that, a new wheated option at 10 yrs and 100p is worth some attention!

Agree totally. I've got a price in my mind I'd be willing to pay and I've got a price that I think would be crazy. I fear it's going to more than both.

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

I thought about bringing that up when I posted but told myself I needed to be positive. Your fears are likely to be realized though given all the extra attention being paid to wheaters due to all things pappiez. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though.

A resounding ring of applause from my corner.  A return of the 6 year 90 proof would be welcome as well.

• 7 months later...

A marketing question: When HH decided to sell a 10YO wheater, why would they give it a Rodney Dangerfield moniker?  Especially if they expect to get a premium price for it?  

6 hours ago, Flyfish said:

A marketing question: When HH decided to sell a 10YO wheater, why would they give it a Rodney Dangerfield moniker?  Especially if they expect to get a premium price for it?  

I'm guessing HH sold this stock to Luxco long before it was 10 years old.

Is there any confirmation that this is actually wheated bourbon?  I looked on the TTB submission page for acknowledgement but did not see any.  I only bring this up because a 10yr 100+ proof wheater with another name would have (sadly) easily pulled $100+ with a fancy label like blood oath.  Heck, at 12 years and cask strength they could have charged about anything they wanted.

I only bring this up because I love HH wheaters and even with the odious name and history of the brand am excited to get this.  Afraid to get my hopes up.

2 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Is there any confirmation that this is actually wheated bourbon?  I looked on the TTB submission page for acknowledgement but did not see any.  I only bring this up because a 10yr 100+ proof wheater with another name would have (sadly) easily pulled $100+ with a fancy label like blood oath.  Heck, at 12 years and cask strength they could have charged about anything they wanted.

I only bring this up because I love HH wheaters and even with the odious name and history of the brand am excited to get this.  Afraid to get my hopes up.

When they add it to the website, it will have an ingredients list. All their expressions do. They're all "wheat, corn, malt" except for the rye whiskey, and they "American Whiskey" which is a blend of bourbon and rye.

14 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Virginia $42.99 and North Carolina $42.95

Thank you for the notice  - I have to be in Fredericksburg VA on FRI 10 Sep and will look for this.  I have a spare $50 to burn . . .

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thank you for the notice  - I have to be in Fredericksburg VA on FRI 10 Sep and will look for this.  I have a spare $50 to burn . . .

Looks like it hasn't hit the VA ABC stores yet and all according to how limited this is and how many cases they get (I've seen 2000 cases total) Virginia may go the way of online ordering or a lottery on the website.  Just didn't want you to waste too much time looking for this yet.  You can check the website for inventory at different stores

1 hour ago, VAGentleman said:

Looks like it hasn't hit the VA ABC stores yet and all according to how limited this is and how many cases they get (I've seen 2000 cases total) Virginia may go the way of online ordering or a lottery on the website.  Just didn't want you to waste too much time looking for this yet.  You can check the website for inventory at different stores

I believe their general principle is that they go with one of the special distribution methods (lottery / online order only) if they receive less than one case per store. 

VAGent & Joe - Not being a VA "resident", I cannot participate legally in the lotteries in spite of having a house at Lake Anna.  Online ordering has no such restriction IIRC.  Thus, I'm hoping for online ordering.  I usually check the online inventories for stores near where I'll be, anyway, but because I was going to be near a VA ABC store I like, I just stopped in to ask.  VAGent is correct: Nothing yet.

EDIT - Well, there's this on the website but nothing in a store near me:

Rebel Yell 10 YR Single Barrel

[blank bottle picture deleted]
Product number: 021212

$42.99

Size: 750 ml | Proof: 100.0

Edited by Harry in WashDC
add recently found info

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this? A local store got 6 bottles at $55. I like EC12, BP and 18. I like HMcK. I don't really care for Larceny though I do like every other wheated bourbon I've tried (OWA W12 MM MM46).

was wondering the same thing, has anyone tried this yet? Binny's has it for $50 and they got a $5 off coupon for this weekend, wondering if this is worth picking up 

On 9/25/2016 at 2:54 PM, Charlutz said:

Has anyone tried this? A local store got 6 bottles at $55. I like EC12, BP and 18. I like HMcK. I don't really care for Larceny though I do like every other wheated bourbon I've tried (OWA W12 MM MM46).

Rebel Yell is historically wheated - not sure if this one is. If so, it's not likely at all to resemble anything on your list except Larceny given that it's sourced from Heaven Hill.

I think it's just now being released so not too many people have tried it yet.

I tried some today. It's nice. Definitely more going on than Larceny. Lots of caramel and coriander. There's something else, too, that I couldn't place. I'll have to revisit soon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On October 1, 2016 at 0:50 AM, jaxn slim said:

I tried some today. It's nice. Definitely more going on than Larceny. Lots of caramel and coriander. There's something else, too, that I couldn't place. I'll have to revisit soon.

I tried this one the other night for the first time. I liked it a lot. There was an end note in the nose which I loved that I could not place, it was driving me crazy, and then it hit me...peach! Who doesn't like a good peach?

I tried this one the other night for the first time. I liked it a lot. There was an end note in the nose which I loved that I could not place, it was driving me crazy, and then it hit me...peach! Who doesn't like a good peach?

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to try it again soon.

I picked up a couple of bottles of RY10SB, and I popped one open last night.  Definitely a good, interesting pour IMO.  It is a nice contrast in my view to the typically sweeter profile of wheaters, be it the Wellers, the aptly named Sweet Wheat, or even the HHSS cognac finished bottles, all of which I am very fond of. 

The RY is a bit "darker" in flavor, less sweet, more oaky, and even a bit bitter on the finish.  Again, not in a bad way, but different, and I like that.  Looking forward to getting some airtime on it, and revisiting the bottle in a couple of weeks.  But as has been mentioned, I don't think any of us can really complain about a 10 year 100 proof wheater for under $50 in today's climate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.