Number 1 favorite snack with bourbon?

Stew
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice thread bump, you all.   Couldn't remember whether I'd posted, so I read through the whole thing (while waiting for the Redskins to start playing which will give me something to watch until the Nats @ Brewers start about 8PM local).

I still like my bourbon without food.  Maybe ice.  Even last night before dinner at our regular restaurant, I skipped the deviled egg appetizer (which I sometimes order TWO of) and had KC neat.  Wife asked if I felt all right especially since I ordered the small steak for dinner.  Nope.  A second KC neat was just fine.

• I like it 1

On 8/31/2017 at 7:29 PM, Justin said:

Would you recommend any of Mrs Sullivan's other products as well?  I am contemplating an order...

Absolutely! All of their products are excellent.

Sorry it took me so long to reply but I just spent a week iin intensive care at a local hospital.

Keith

• I like it 1

For a snack I love dark chocolate covered cranberries with bourbon.  The dark chocolate and the bourbon work well together.  I get them in the bulk section of our local Kroger's.

• I like it 2

Not exactly a snack, but for some reason I really enjoy chasing bourbon with cold whole milk. It does interfere with the bourbon's taste, it becomes something else entirely, but something good. I only do this with bourbon (rum & brandy also work) that's destined to sit on my shelf forever, though. It's a good way to get rid of cheap stuff people sometimes gift me.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Not exactly a snack, but for some reason I really enjoy chasing bourbon with cold whole milk. It does interfere with the bourbon's taste, it becomes something else entirely, but something good. I only do this with bourbon (rum & brandy also work) that's destined to sit on my shelf forever, though. It's a good way to get rid of cheap stuff people sometimes gift me.

THIS^^^^ Is Truly Strange!    I must admit it's a brand new one on me.     But, if this is working for you, then; More Power to You! 

I have heard of folx with ulcers who wanted to cheat mixing 80-proof blended Scotch and milk together in a glass, though. 

I'll have to try it with the Almond Milk I use (lactose intolerant I'm afraid).

• I like it 1

Pecan pie with a slice of cheddar cheese on the side.  Not on a regular basis - just for special occasions.  Otherwise, I go with a Chex party mix.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

As I'm new to bourbon I did recently try something that went very well and was confirmed by my brother in law. Glazed gingerbread, the kind from Germany known as lebkuchen. It has some delicate flavors that compliment the bourbon pretty nicely. I did also enjoy a smore with my kids by the fire pit with Clyde Mays in the glass. Nice thread!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite would have to be donuts. Donuts and bourbon are absolutely amazing together. Dessert in general goes great with bourbon.

What I tend to have most frequently is dark chocolate. 

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2016 at 3:07 PM, Golzee said:

I've never thought about eating pickles with bourbon, but, a few of my friends love to chase Jameson with pickle juice.  I don't usually use a chaser, but, it is interesting and does compliment the shot.

That arrangement is known as a "pickleback", reported to mitigate hangovers probably because the high salt levels in the brine help you to retain some fluids.  Common in Irish pubs, I've tried a couple of times and it goes fine with whiskeys.  More conventionally, like many of the posters to this thread I like strong cheeses and nuts like almonds and pecans.  Any charcuterie works well.

• I like it 1

Chocolate covered pretzels are always nice. a great pallet cleanser in between are these breadsticks.... discovered them in Napa at the castle vineyard.

1516062526479570389754.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Right now it's a good aged cheese, like a two year old gouda or a gruyere after it has warmed to room temperature to bring out the flavors.

• I like it 1

Just picked up this thread & thought, hmmmm. I had a pour of Mich10 going & my Aunt, (A Great Candy Maker) had dropped off a tin of homemade pralines. Soooooo, I tried... nope... They are too excellent alone, each & deserve their own top billing. Not again...

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm late to the party but couldn't help notice the obvious that so many of the snacks mentioned pair well with Bourbon because they are notes often found in the glass.

"Chocolate, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, dried cranberries, raisins, coffee, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, gingerbread, roasted marshmallows, cinnamon..."  are notes I hear mentioned over and over in tastings.

For me, I like dark chocolate and, oddly, these garlic and rosemary almond flour crackers my wife gets at Costco when I am drinking Bourbon.  Or just more Bourbon.

10 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

I'm late to the party but couldn't help notice the obvious that so many of the snacks mentioned pair well with Bourbon because they are notes often found in the glass.

"Chocolate, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, dried cranberries, raisins, coffee, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, gingerbread, roasted marshmallows, cinnamon..."  are notes I hear mentioned over and over in tastings.

For me, I like dark chocolate and, oddly, these garlic and rosemary almond flour crackers my wife gets at Costco when I am drinking Bourbon.  Or just more Bourbon.

THX for bumping this thread.  Jelly Belly jelly beans, if one is careful about mix/match, enhance the bourbon experience.  So do Reece’s Pieces when drinking a Beam product while watching TCM at 3am.

I've come across another one I don't think I've seen mentioned.   Old fashioned Horehound drops.   If you can find the Claeys brand they seem to be cut above the few others I've tasted.   

I remember 'em from when I was a child.   Mom gave 'em to us kids for sore throat relief.   No idea what brand those would've been though.    I don't think the ones of today have as much actual Horehound flavor as those did; but nonetheless they're one of the few hard candy drops I've ever tasted that seem to pair well with most Bourbons I've tried with 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not a good combo with booze due to dehydration but pretzels or salted meats + cheese. 

19 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Probably not a good combo with booze due to dehydration but pretzels or salted meats + cheese. 

We got water for the dehydration!  ?. Pretzels, cheese, and salted meats are great with bourbon.  ??

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

We got water for the dehydration!  ?. Pretzels, cheese, and salted meats are great with bourbon.  ??

Amen! I’m thinking of making a run down to WV to stock up on snacks and bourbon I can’t find up here in the Burgh, will remember to have enough water too lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 10:59 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

For a snack I love dark chocolate covered cranberries with bourbon.  The dark chocolate and the bourbon work well together.  I get them in the bulk section of our local Kroger's.

I agree and do not sleep on chocolate covered raisins, there are my go to. 

• 2 months later...

Fresh roasted and salted pumpkin seeds.  Seems appropriate.  Happy  Halloween! ?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.