Number 1 favorite snack with bourbon?

Stew
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Usually nothing but sometimes Fritos, cashews, peanuts, or cheese (cheddar or port wine) and Ritz Crackers. 

5 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Usually nothing but sometimes Fritos, cashews, peanuts, or cheese (cheddar or port wine) and Ritz Crackers. 

I’ve been on a Ritz kick of late, and they are a great pairing with bourbon!  Actually, munching them now with an Early Times BIB!  👍🏻

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I’ve been on a Ritz kick of late, and they are a great pairing with bourbon!  Actually, munching them now with an Early Times BIB!  👍🏻

Ritz with a "Pub Cheese" spread which is, basically, cheddar pimento cheese spread for Happy Hour pre-dinner.  Couple this with ANY bourbon cocktail, especially a sweet one to counter the salty Ritz/pimento combo.   Make no more than five per eater or dinner will be TOO much.😉

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

My go to is Chex Cheddar Flavored Snack Mix. ^_^ However........ After a long, long absence, Ruffle's All Dressed potato chips has reappeared on the shelves here. :o This version of Ruffles is one of my all time favorite potato chips. If y'all see any, I'd say buy a bag and give 'em a try. Well worth it IMHO. 😋

Biba! Joe

DSC_0015 2.JPG

If I do happen to snack, mixed nuts.  It's interesting to see what nuts draw out which nuances of a particular bourbon.  The odd Brasil nut ( which I despise) is shockingly good at pulling sweetness out of a sip.

6 minutes ago, BadlandsBandit said:

If I do happen to snack, mixed nuts.  It's interesting to see what nuts draw out which nuances of a particular bourbon.  The odd Brasil nut ( which I despise) is shockingly good at pulling sweetness out of a sip.

Ha!  Ah, the crappy Brazil nut!  Took up 1/2 of the can by volume, but always the last ones to go from the Planter’s mixed nut can.  Each one was touched 10X more than any other nut in there, but only to swipe it out of the way to get to the cashews... 🤣

I have to admit that I don’t get the chocolate or sweet thing paired with bourbon. My wife baked some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies last night and I grabbed a couple while still warm.  I took a bite (it was good). After swallowing, I took a sip of Henry McKenna BIB and it was so bitter and the predominant taste I picked up was black licorice (which I really don’t like). Live and learn I guess. Everyone’s palate and tastes are different and I clearly prefer salty/savory with bourbon. 

2 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

I have to admit that I don’t get the chocolate or sweet thing paired with bourbon. My wife baked some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies last night and I grabbed a couple while still warm.  I took a bite (it was good). After swallowing, I took a sip of Henry McKenna BIB and it was so bitter and the predominant taste I picked up was black licorice (which I really don’t like). Live and learn I guess. Everyone’s palate and tastes are different and I clearly prefer salty/savory with bourbon. 

Maybe not, but I can assure you that chocolate goes excellently with beer and the lady that taught me that was pretty dang good looking, so who was I to argue...

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Maybe not, but I can assure you that chocolate goes excellently with beer and the lady that taught me that was pretty dang good looking, so who was I to argue...

Pics? 😜

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Pics? 😜

Sooooo long ago!!! Could be a barker by now!!! 😉

2 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Sooooo long ago!!! Could be a barker by now!!! 😉

Thanks for you honesty red. 😕

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Chocolate and beer???  No thank you!

20 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

Chocolate and beer???  No thank you!

You ever had any beers from Three Floyd’s? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You ever had any beers from Three Floyd’s? 

Biba! Joe

No. Have never seen it. 

1 minute ago, Kjbarth said:

No. Have never seen it. 

They brew some very interesting beers. Might be worth giving their website a look see. I’m not really much of a a beer/craft beer guy, but my son and I stopped at Three Floyd’s on a trip out of town a little over a year ago. Eye opening to say the least. 

Biba! Joe

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

They brew some very interesting beers. Might be worth giving their website a look see. I’m not really much of a a beer/craft beer guy, but my son and I stopped at Three Floyd’s on a trip out of town a little over a year ago. Eye opening to say the least. 

Biba! Joe

I looked at their website after you mentioned it. Munster IN is 800+ miles away for me so curbside pickup won’t work for me. I’ll ask my son. He lived in IN for 4 yrs while in college and lives in Chicago now. 

Just checked the website again and they distribute to a bunch of liquor stores local to me so next time I go out, I’ll look for something from them.  Yella Rrari looks like their chocolate imperial stout. 

Edited by Kjbarth

• 4 weeks later...

I found some of my wife’s English toffee with dark chocolate and toasted almonds.  Pares well with some BBC Discovery b#4 tonight!

6CEDF1F1-E395-4A99-BDB5-EA0849138258.jpeg

• I like it 5

This won’t take the place of my Chex mix, but I had to post a pic. It was a gift from my daughter in law. 😇

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.e02ae77071b66395f9b9527f41e90e2e.jpeg

• I like it 4

I tried some fudge with walnuts between sips and it was surprisingly delicious.  Really cleared the pallet and let you rediscover the flavors each sip.

• I like it 2

My sister was kind enough to make me a peanut butter and chocolate pie. That cleared the pallet just fine and was a wonderful compliment to some bourbon.

• 5 months later...

Anyone ever try this? These are really good. Bag says they have “Guinness flavors”. Not sure I get that exactly, but I’m tasting malt, sugar sweet, some salt, a little tangy. Really good with bourbon (what I’m drinking now), likely good with rye or other whiskies, and no doubt good with beers. If I don’t slow down, I’ll finish his bag before I finish my first Belle Meade pour.

E3A91CB5-869C-4E3A-B1F4-70334FE71F50.thumb.jpeg.d3fe8e79c281689fae62e64110b17960.jpeg

On 3/8/2021 at 3:11 PM, Kjbarth said:

Forgot I wrote this. Since writing this, I’ve tried and succeeded to develop my palate to like chocolate (all types) with bourbon and rye. For me, that’s an accomplishment because once I decide I don’t like something (food wise) or some food pairing, I usually don’t give it/them another chance.

3 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Anyone ever try this? These are really good. Bag says they have “Guinness flavors”. Not sure I get that exactly, but I’m tasting malt, sugar sweet, some salt, a little tangy. Really good with bourbon (what I’m drinking now), likely good with rye or other whiskies, and no doubt good with beers. If I don’t slow down, I’ll finish his bag before I finish my first Belle Meade pour.

E3A91CB5-869C-4E3A-B1F4-70334FE71F50.thumb.jpeg.d3fe8e79c281689fae62e64110b17960.jpeg

I agree - those chips are awesome!  Usually only see them around St Pats day in the Grocery Stores

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.