Stew

Number 1 favorite snack with bourbon?

Harry in WashDC

Nice thread bump, you all.   Couldn't remember whether I'd posted, so I read through the whole thing (while waiting for the Redskins to start playing which will give me something to watch until the Nats @ Brewers start about 8PM local).

I still like my bourbon without food.  Maybe ice.  Even last night before dinner at our regular restaurant, I skipped the deviled egg appetizer (which I sometimes order TWO of) and had KC neat.  Wife asked if I felt all right especially since I ordered the small steak for dinner.  Nope.  A second KC neat was just fine.

• I like it 1

IBLSKeith
On 8/31/2017 at 7:29 PM, Justin said:

Would you recommend any of Mrs Sullivan's other products as well?  I am contemplating an order...

Absolutely! All of their products are excellent.

Sorry it took me so long to reply but I just spent a week iin intensive care at a local hospital.

Keith

• I like it 1

CardsandBourbon

For a snack I love dark chocolate covered cranberries with bourbon.  The dark chocolate and the bourbon work well together.  I get them in the bulk section of our local Kroger's.

• I like it 1

Kane

Not exactly a snack, but for some reason I really enjoy chasing bourbon with cold whole milk. It does interfere with the bourbon's taste, it becomes something else entirely, but something good. I only do this with bourbon (rum & brandy also work) that's destined to sit on my shelf forever, though. It's a good way to get rid of cheap stuff people sometimes gift me.

• I like it 1

Richnimrod
3 hours ago, Kane said:

Not exactly a snack, but for some reason I really enjoy chasing bourbon with cold whole milk. It does interfere with the bourbon's taste, it becomes something else entirely, but something good. I only do this with bourbon (rum & brandy also work) that's destined to sit on my shelf forever, though. It's a good way to get rid of cheap stuff people sometimes gift me.

THIS^^^^ Is Truly Strange!    I must admit it's a brand new one on me.     But, if this is working for you, then; More Power to You! 

I have heard of folx with ulcers who wanted to cheat mixing 80-proof blended Scotch and milk together in a glass, though. 

I'll have to try it with the Almond Milk I use (lactose intolerant I'm afraid).

• I like it 1

WoodrowinManassas

Pecan pie with a slice of cheddar cheese on the side.  Not on a regular basis - just for special occasions.  Otherwise, I go with a Chex party mix.

• I like it 1

BrianGA

Pecans.  Perfect combo.  

• I like it 1

Bubba-Nj

As I'm new to bourbon I did recently try something that went very well and was confirmed by my brother in law. Glazed gingerbread, the kind from Germany known as lebkuchen. It has some delicate flavors that compliment the bourbon pretty nicely. I did also enjoy a smore with my kids by the fire pit with Clyde Mays in the glass. Nice thread!

• I like it 1

EarthQuake

My favorite would have to be donuts. Donuts and bourbon are absolutely amazing together. Dessert in general goes great with bourbon.

What I tend to have most frequently is dark chocolate. 

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

CB.

pb crackers or natural pb. The Hershey dark choc minis are good to.

• I like it 1

marshbound
On 1/14/2016 at 3:07 PM, Golzee said:

I've never thought about eating pickles with bourbon, but, a few of my friends love to chase Jameson with pickle juice.  I don't usually use a chaser, but, it is interesting and does compliment the shot.

That arrangement is known as a "pickleback", reported to mitigate hangovers probably because the high salt levels in the brine help you to retain some fluids.  Common in Irish pubs, I've tried a couple of times and it goes fine with whiskeys.  More conventionally, like many of the posters to this thread I like strong cheeses and nuts like almonds and pecans.  Any charcuterie works well.

• I like it 1

bourbon4all

Chocolate covered pretzels are always nice. a great pallet cleanser in between are these breadsticks.... discovered them in Napa at the castle vineyard.

1516062526479570389754.jpg

• I like it 1

GreggJ

I have been enjoying Planter's Cocoa Dusted Almonds.  Very nice paring and dangerously delicious.

• I like it 1

Dannabis

Right now it's a good aged cheese, like a two year old gouda or a gruyere after it has warmed to room temperature to bring out the flavors.

bayouredd

Just picked up this thread & thought, hmmmm. I had a pour of Mich10 going & my Aunt, (A Great Candy Maker) had dropped off a tin of homemade pralines. Soooooo, I tried... nope... They are too excellent alone, each & deserve their own top billing. Not again...