What is your favorite whisky glass for every day drams?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just curious what you all like to enjoy your every day dram in?

I know the  glencairn is for tasting. But what glass just to enjoy the whisky without to much work

yep, Glencairn most of the time . if I do want to add ice once and a while its just a normal rockglass nothing fancy.

Before I discovered bourbon forums, I was perfectly content with snifter glasses.  But since falling down this rabbit hole, I drink out of Glencairns almost exclusively.

I'll pull out the Glencairns on occasion, normally when opening a special bottle with friends, but for every day, I find them (along with their Canadian variant, and especially the NEAT glass) sometimes difficult to get that last sip out of.

I've got a set of square-bottomed rocks glasses that I tend to use for every day pours.

I got a Yeti lowball glass for Christmas, and have been using it quite a bit when I have the urge for a cocktail.

Mostly Glencairn. But once in a while I just 'need a drink', and go for the rock glass.
If I'm outside it's always a rock glass. No reason bringing a Glencairn, unless it's absolutely still.

I hate bumping my nose on Glencairns, even though they're good for more critical tasting.

My choice, Bormioli Rocco "Galassia" single old fashioned glass (6.5 oz.)

8115kh4lIcS._SY355_.jpg

that looks like a pretty cool glass.  I usually just drink out of a rocks glass even tho I have plenty of glencairn glasses.  they just seem a little bit dainty to me.  One bar I went to had these glasses and I thought they were pretty cool, altho quite the risk of getting broken pretty easily:

51hV0BXA22L._SY355_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The wife picked up a set of hand made/blown glasses from a guy on etsy. I believe he is from Louisiana. Each is different in size and weight a little, but they are heavy as heck.

My favorite glass by far.

Gary 

9 hours ago, gohrmund said:

The wife picked up a set of hand made/blown glasses from a guy on etsy. I believe he is from Louisiana. Each is different in size and weight a little, but they are heavy as heck.

My favorite glass by far.

Gary 

Share a picture if you will please

My favorite is this snifter glass. It looks good, and feels great in my hand. Glencairn comes in second, a wine glass third. 

image.jpeg

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, p_elliott said:

Share a picture if you will please

Take a look at glassblowerben.com

I have the medium size. You cant get a large ball of ice in them, and really one small cube or neat is the best way to go with these.

I would link some pictures, but I have not gotten around to figuring out the new software yet.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Glencairn or Rocks Glass (Whisky Wedge or my Jim Beam Rocks Glass) for bourbon, Canadian Glencairn for Peated Scotch, Snifter for Canadian Whiskies, Unpeated Scotch

I like a stemmed glencairn, myself. It makes it easier to flick the liquid around to release the nose. A silly preference but...mine own.

If it's a big bold smelling whiskey I'll use a wider aperture Canadian Glencairn. Which is ironically named in my opinion since most Canadian whiskys have a faint nose which in my opinion needs a tighter glassware aperture to focus the scent.

For the widest apertures I use Bruichladdich's "Laddie Tumbler", which also doubles as a very elegant lowball cocktail glass.

I've got a new type of stemmed glencairney thing back ordered, am hoping to have it shipped and get to try it out this break.

I usually pour into one of the several 'fake-glencairn-style' nosing glasses that I've acquired from tastings/tours at Heaven Hill or The Evan Williams Bourbon Experience in L'ville.   ...Maybe 70% of my pours.   Thy're nice, and small, and FREE!   ...Well, if you don't count the cost of the tasting; which I don't.

Occasionally, I want an 'over a cube' pour, and will often use one of the diminutive rocks style glasses I obtained with a couple bottles of Bacardi Run many years ago.   They probably would hold about 4-ounce if filled to the rim, and have reasonably thick bases that hold the cold pretty well.    I think they were originally intended as eggnog glasses.

Then, of course, actual Glencairns when doing analysis, or comparison pours.

One other type of glass I use occasionally is a tall, thin stem glass (Champagne flute, I believe), that I use when pouring very high proof liquor, neat.    This allows me to keep my schnozz a pretty good distance away, and still get the aromas, while letting a fair amount of the alcohol dissipate before getting all the way up to the nose.   It gives me a better smell of the actual nuances, while sparing the 'Old Factory' from the numbing effects of much 'near-nosing' of the high-octane ones.   ...AND, I can hold a pinky-finger out straight while grasping such a glass, thus impressing the hell out of myself!

• 4 weeks later...

I was gifted a pair of Rikke Hagen glasses that I really enjoy. If you prefer sipping with an ice cube they have a little glass bubble at the bottom that raises the cubes out of the bourbon slightly. A nice touch.

I have found that the shape of the glass does bring more ethanol forward than others I've used, but still nice.

Rikke-Hagen-Whiskey-Glasses.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.