What is your favorite whisky glass for every day drams?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 1 month later...

Glencairns for nosing and sipping. For rocks, WT glasses bought at the distillery in '10. They have heavy bottoms and taper towards the rim to concentrate what aroma is left when drinking cold. In the RV, we keep some cheap stemless white wine glasses for sipping and 4R glasses. Mrs. F puts a little water in each 4R glass and sets them in the freezer. This makes ice "discs" that float up a couple minutes after the bourbon is added.  

On 5/20/2016 at 11:16 AM, Flyfish said:

Glencairns for nosing and sipping. For rocks, WT glasses bought at the distillery in '10. They have heavy bottoms and taper towards the rim to concentrate what aroma is left when drinking cold. In the RV, we keep some cheap stemless white wine glasses for sipping and 4R glasses. Mrs. F puts a little water in each 4R glass and sets them in the freezer. This makes ice "discs" that float up a couple minutes after the bourbon is added.  

Kewl idea from the wife - will try that, tomorrow.   :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Generally neat in the cheap Canadian Glencairn I got from Amazon.  This time of the year when it's hot and I want to add a ice cube (too lazy to make ice spheres) I use these cheap wine glasses from the local HD dealer:

GnvuFpN.png

On February 16, 2016 at 2:34 PM, gohrmund said:

Take a look at glassblowerben.com

I have the medium size. You cant get a large ball of ice in them, and really one small cube or neat is the best way to go with these.

I would link some pictures, but I have not gotten around to figuring out the new software yet.

Gary

I just purchased a pair of Ben's medium whiskey glasses. 

They are super heavy duty and a great glass to sip your favorite whisky/whiskey. 

They are a bit speedy 80.00 a pair, but I feel well worth the money. 

I will probably purchase a pair of small glasses as well 

12 hours ago, fozzy71 said:

Generally neat in the cheap Canadian Glencairn I got from Amazon.  This time of the year when it's hot and I want to add a ice cube (too lazy to make ice spheres) I use these cheap wine glasses from the local HD dealer:

GnvuFpN.png

Bookers looks really good, may have to go buy a bottle for summer

I just purchased a pair of Ben's medium whiskey glasses. 

They are super heavy duty and a great glass to sip your favorite whisky/whiskey. 

They are a bit speedy 80.00 a pair, but I feel well worth the money. 

I will probably purchase a pair of small glasses as well 

Great - now I had to buy another set of glasses. They do look really nice and like the stamped design on the bottom. I went with the shamrock.

My go to is a rocks glass that came with a bottle of JBW label.  I also use a small stemless snifter glass occasionally.

Depends on pour size. If I am tasting multiple whiskeys or just having a small pour - <1oz, Glencairn.

If I am have a bigger pour or multiple pours of the same whiskey, Canadian Glencairn.

I won't suggest this is my fave, but have been enjoying small pours from this little glass that I picked up at a Michaels craft store the other day.  It's actually a votive candle holder, but I see whiskey in all things apparently, and the $0.99 price tag was hard to pass up...  :D

I just realized that in the last couple of weeks I've now admitted on these boards to shopping at Bath & Body Works and Michael's.:o  Dayum, I need to mix in some trips to Bass Pro Shops and Advance Auto Parts to balance things out for y'all...;)

image.jpg

• I like it 2

Joe, this IS a really cute little taster!    99-cents?    Unbeatable for neat little room-temp tastes!      I'll have to look around for a few of these at that price.

If anybody on this board wants to impugn your masculinity cuz of recent bouts of honesty herein... I'll hold yer figurative purse while you whale the verbal tar out of 'em.

Edited by Richnimrod
additional thought, if you can call that a thought....
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I won't suggest this is my fave, but have been enjoying small pours from this little glass that I picked up at a Michaels craft store the other day.  It's actually a votive candle holder, but I see whiskey in all things apparently, and the $0.99 price tag was hard to pass up...  :D

I just realized that in the last couple of weeks I've now admitted on these boards to shopping at Bath & Body Works and Michael's.:o  Dayum, I need to mix in some trips to Bass Pro Shops and Advance Auto Parts to balance things out for y'all...;)

It looks like a little Canadian Glencairn.    Many of the craft stores in Phoenix know they are popular with the fly tying guys.  :P

It isn't where you shop, it's what you shop for :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

• 5 months later...

For those looking for Glencairns, my wife gave me an early present today (We. 7 Dec 2016) -- Crate and Barrel has 7 ounce (to the rim), 6 ounce (on the label), 2 ounce (at the widest part) Glencairns (classic with a HEAVY pedestal)  for $8 and 11 ounce (on the label) stemless "Canadian" Glencairns for $10.

I got two stemmed.  Already knocked one over, and it DIDN'T break.  Made in Germany, handwash.

I have no interest in C&B, I just like relatively cheap, STURDY glasses that are small enough to keep me from overpouring.

11 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I just like relatively cheap, STURDY glasses that are small enough to keep me from overpouring.

YES!!!!    This is the best rundown of the type glass toward which I gravitate. 

That phrase about overpouring is important.    In fact during the Holidays, when one may expect to pour many, many times, I tend to use the small glencairn-style taster included with the cost, in recent years, by HH on their tour/tastings.    I'll even go further down that path and use the really tiny 'stem style' taster HH has been including for a year or so, if I expect to try a lot of different Bourbons in a row.    I don't believe that one would hold more than about 1.5 ounces filled to the brim (though I've never measured it).

Most of the time its a Glencairn.  I only have two currently. One of them is blank and the other is Woodford branded and came with a gift set. They are a bit fragile!  My wife broke one and my daughter broke another.  Now they won't touch them.  I think there is a thread on here about "How I broke my Glencairn today".  For rocks I have a couple smallish rocks glasses from another Gentleman Jack gift set. I also have a nice heavy gold Ceaser's Palace rocks glass that my wife got me and I'll have a drink from in honor of her Uncle Joe (who LOVED Ceaser's). She has a matching martini glass for her cosmos. I also have a tiny little Ardbeg "shortie" from a tasting that's good when you just want a little sample of something to try.  https://www.ardbeg.com/shop/product/glassware/shortie-glass.html

Was given this glass on my first (and only to date) visit to the Gazebo at the GN in 2010. My son gets out of the Navy in June so I'm thinking a little father son trip needs to be on the calendar for September!

Bourbon glass.jpg

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Most of the time its a Glencairn.  I only have two currently. One of them is blank and the other is Woodford branded and came with a gift set. They are a bit fragile!

Ahhh, Frah-jeeee-lay!    Must be Italian.       Heeee-Hee!

32 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhh, Frah-jeeee-lay!    Must be Italian.       Heeee-Hee!

fragile.JPG

48 minutes ago, Clueby said:

fragile.JPG

Sweet! Where'd you find that Tim? I'd really love to get one or two. My father in law (who just passed away in September) and I loved the movie "A Christmas Story".  FWIW, he lived it. We kinda liked to irritate the rest of the family by switching over to the movie repeatedly during our family Xmas get togethers. :rolleyes:  I gave him a replica of the leg lamp for Xmas about 13 years ago. My mother in law knew how much we liked that movie, and to make a long story short, she gave me the leg lamp. My son also gave me an "old man" bobble head for Xmas a couple of years ago. The glass(s) would be a perfect  addition to go alongside my lamp and bobble head.

Cheers! Joe

P1110202.JPG

19 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sweet! Where'd you find that Tim? I'd really love to get one or two. My father in law (who just passed away in September) and I loved the movie "A Christmas Story".  FWIW, he lived it. We kinda liked to irritate the rest of the family by switching over to the movie repeatedly during our family Xmas get togethers. :rolleyes:  I gave him a replica of the leg lamp for Xmas about 13 years ago. My mother in law knew how much we liked that movie, and to make a long story short, she gave me the leg lamp. My son also gave me an "old man" bobble head for Xmas a couple of years ago. The glass(s) would be a perfect  addition to go alongside my lamp and bobble head.

Cheers! Joe

P1110202.JPG

Very cool! Check your PM.  Can get them at Walmart.com.

• 1 month later...

My other Libbey bourbon glasses are at the lake, so at the house I was using what was available, but recently found some old "cordial" bar glasses:

glasses.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.