What is your favorite whisky glass for every day drams?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I used Glencairns for quite a while but decided I didn't like how they get in the way of my nose (no I don't have a Klinger or Karl Malden snoz :) ) so I quit using them and went to Canadian Glencairns - same design just larger liked those but they are a little lightweight.  

Was gifted a rocks glass from 1792 Barton that I use 90% of the time and even went back and bought more to have spares, it's got a heavy bottom and tapered sides, just fits my hand well and is substantial.  For the original batch @ $5 they were great and even now at $8 they are a solid deal.

My daughter got me some Norlan glasses for Christmas.  I've been using that lately.  It's interesting.  VERY light and too easy to tip over though.

I almost exclusively used the standard tulip shaped Glencairns until I discovered the Glencairn "Copita" style glass.  Now, that's all I use.

Copita.jpg

Edited by starhopper

2 hours ago, starhopper said:

I almost exclusively used the standard tulip shaped Glencairns until I discovered the Glencairn "Copita" style glass.  Now, that's all I use.

Copita.jpg

Hmmmmm, I like the little Tam O'shanter in your pic, Starhopper.    Did they each come with one of these?   ...OR, is this something you acquired separately?

7 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmmmm, I like the little Tam O'shanter in your pic, Starhopper.    Did they each come with one of these?   ...OR, is this something you acquired separately?

Not Starhopper, but can confirm they are a set. Check amazon- they run deals from time to time. Think mine was around $12 including shipping. Very enjoyable drinking vessel. 

For my everyday pours I use a Glencairn. If I'm in the garage doing bike maintenance or some other activity, I'll use a brandy snifter instead just to get a bigger pour. But if I'm feeling particularly fancy, or I really want to indulge in a dram with a nice meal, I'll use my Riedel Vinum Cognac glasses. 

I enjoy the way the lip fairs at the top of the Riedel cognac. It makes the tongue delivery a little more even than a most any other glass. This is really one of the big things the Norlan glass got right, IMO. 

20161225_004508.jpg

20161225_192523.jpg

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Comes with it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GLENCAIRN-SCOTCH-WHISKY-COPITA-NOSING-GLASS-W-GINGER-JAR-TOP-/302173759631?hash=item465af5a88f:g:fCwAAOxy0NtTFHvi

• 3 weeks later...

The midpoint of the "K" on the glasses that came with the Knob Creek Christmas gift set is close enough to a three ounce pour. I find that to be a nice, though probably unintended, feature.

On February 1, 2017 at 0:06 AM, Postal Grunt said:

The midpoint of the "K" on the glasses that came with the Knob Creek Christmas gift set is close enough to a three ounce pour. I find that to be a nice, though probably unintended, feature.

Though not my favorite (because I do tend to bounce around a bit ) I am finding that I am going to that glass often.  Has a nice feel to it.  I'll keep the mid-K feature in mind!  Particularly, with last call....:D 

I think someone else mentioned this one as a favorite as well, but I love my 1792 glasses for everyday pours. That heavy base feels great in the hand and the slightly narrowed opening is conducive to some casual nosing. I still go back to Glencairns for serious tasting/nosing but the 1792s see the most use.

For something I am already very familiar with I am finding the solid heavy base 4 oz High West single old fashioned style glass to be one I like of late. Has that slightly iridescent look and little bubbles in the glass like the bottles do.

Perfect for drinking whiskey while trying to catch up on Westworld!

High West glass.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy the way the lip fairs at the top of the Riedel cognac. It makes the tongue delivery a little more even than a most any other glass. This is really one of the big things the Norlan glass got right, IMO. 

20161225_192523.thumb.jpg.c58fc64189427ab2f37fca85bae624e8.jpg[/url]

That glass is sharp, but the meal looks absolutely divine!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Got this set of 4 from my wife for Christmas, she found them in a shop that specialized in antique liquor sundry items.  No idea what they are or their vintage but they are handsome with solid feel.  A bit small, but that's okay, I need the exercise.  :-)   The shot glass is for size comparison as well as early playoff exits.

Whiskey glasses.jpg

Edited by marshbound
stray keystroke remained.

• 3 weeks later...

Riedel Vinum Cognac, stemmed or a mini beer snifter. I prefer the former, but I haven't tried a glencairn

On 1/31/2017 at 11:06 PM, Postal Grunt said:

On 2/3/2017 at 5:19 PM, smokinjoe said:

Though not my favorite (because I do tend to bounce around a bit ) I am finding that I am going to that glass often.  Has a nice feel to it.  I'll keep the mid-K feature in mind!  Particularly, with last call....:D 

I bought that set (and recently just opened it) just for the 9 year age stated bottle and was going to give the glasses to goodwill, but I'm with you guys.  It's a nice glass.  big enough to get a muddler or stir spoon in and lots of room for fruit, ice and all the ingredients.  I use them almost exclusively for making old fashioned and manhattan drinks.  It's also a very thick and durable glass.  The chrome/silver rim is a nice touch as well.

IMAG1906[1].jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You mean you're not supposed to drink it straight from the bottle?  HMM, I never knew that.:D

It's definitely not the paper cups I've been using the last couple of days in hotel rooms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2016 at 3:02 PM, kjbeggs said:

I'll pull out the Glencairns on occasion, normally when opening a special bottle with friends, but for every day, I find them (along with their Canadian variant, and especially the NEAT glass) sometimes difficult to get that last sip out of.

I've got a set of square-bottomed rocks glasses that I tend to use for every day pours.

I got a Yeti lowball glass for Christmas, and have been using it quite a bit when I have the urge for a cocktail.

Do you find that your Yeti changes the flavor of your bourbon? I tend to pick up the stainless steel a little bit.

Of course this could be in my head.

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.