What is your favorite whisky glass for every day drams?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/9/2017 at 8:38 AM, Polarbear said:

Do you find that your Yeti changes the flavor of your bourbon? I tend to pick up the stainless steel a little bit.

Of course this could be in my head.

Thanks!

I used to think the same (thought I could taste it, but wasn't sure if it was just in my head). Now I've used it so much that it smells like bourbon even when it's empty and i don't notice the metallic tinge any more.

On a side note, I did recently grab a couple of these "Official Bourbon Tasting glasses" (their words), when they introduced them at buy one, get one free. Haven't had time to try them out, but I like the look.

https://kybourbontrailshop.com/official-bourbon-tasting-glass.html#.WScS9mjysuU

Edited by kjbeggs

2 hours ago, kjbeggs said:

On a side note, I did recently grab a couple of these "Official Bourbon Tasting glasses" (their words), when they introduced them at buy one, get one free. Haven't had time to try them out, but I like the look.

They look to me like someone squashed a glencairn.

• I like it 1

• 6 months later...

I've been using the brandy snifter for a while now. I plan on getting a glencairn, but saw this at Goodwill for 99 cents and its been doing a fine job.

brandy_snifter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer a rocks glass even though I drink everything neat. Glencairns are ok too.

The wife was given a yeti lowball so I tried that out this evening while grilling outside and liked it a lot. I was expecting to taste some metallic notes but didn’t. Back when the yetis first came out I tried drinking beer from them but I would get a metallic aftertaste. 

• 4 months later...

What is your favorite whisky glass for every day drams?

Of coarse it has to be this one  !!

glass.thumb.jpg.33b976031fcd64ee602e6538680dde47.jpg

Edited by Cranecreek
  • I like it 5

• 2 weeks later...

Glencarin almost exclusively... I have a set of heavy bottomed rocks glasses for those guests who like ice.

On 2/6/2017 at 12:11 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

For something I am already very familiar with I am finding the solid heavy base 4 oz High West single old fashioned style glass to be one I like of late. Has that slightly iridescent look and little bubbles in the glass like the bottles do.

Perfect for drinking whiskey while trying to catch up on Westworld!

High West glass.jpg

This is my favorite lately too.  Bought one after touring in Park City and reach for it every time its clean.  Small glass, but feels substantial in the hand.  Nice character in the hand blown glass, with bubbles and minor imperfections.  And only $8...

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2017 at 12:22 PM, kjbeggs said:

I used to think the same (thought I could taste it, but wasn't sure if it was just in my head). Now I've used it so much that it smells like bourbon even when it's empty and i don't notice the metallic tinge any more.

Those KY Bourbon Trail glasses are actually my preferred glass that I use every day.  I keep a couple dozen Glencairns around because that's what everyone seems to want when the come over, but I like the KYBT glasses.

• I like it 1

• 8 months later...

Mrs. jvd99 got me this Peugeot whisky chilling glass.  The metal part goes in the freezer and when sufficiently frozen, the glass nests into it quite well.  After a few minutes, the whisky is chilled and stay so for 30 minutes, or so the instructions say.

Tried it out.  It does work, but not very well, or perhaps exactly as intended.  The whiskey is chilled, but only slightly.  Noticeably cooler than room temp but nowhere near like it was on ice.   The trade off/benefit is obviously no dilution.  It’s a fun gift, but not a daily drinker

3E4A87B0-C5D1-4700-97D9-CD9826E5ACA6.jpeg

340A2972-5A32-4738-BCA6-A5CCA741FBAF.jpeg

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Glencairn glass for me, which I purchased during a tour of the Oak and Grist Distillery in North Carolina

• 5 months later...

So my wife gives me a set of "Scotch" glasses for Christmas. Based on the image on the box front, I'm thinking that it's a set of six rather fragile stemmed tasting glasses-- all good. Turns out that there were only two in the box, and replicating the volume depicted in the photo results in a 10 to 12 ounce pour. I've got to bring these to the next Whiskyfest and play dumb…

IMG_3703.thumb.jpg.0842bcb726c9d3b83aa326029a761e2f.jpg

• I like it 6

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

So my wife gives me a set of "Scotch" glasses for Christmas. Based on the image on the box front, I'm thinking that it's a set of six rather fragile stemmed tasting glasses-- all good. Turns out that there were only two in the box, and replicating the volume depicted in the photo results in a 10 to 12 ounce pour. I've got to bring these to the next Whiskyfest and play dumb…

IMG_3703.thumb.jpg.0842bcb726c9d3b83aa326029a761e2f.jpg

WHOA!!!!!   Those are Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Large!   I have NEVER seen a glass that size described as a whiskey glass.    My hat is humbly off in deference to anybody doing a couple pours like this... even if they're only of the 80-proof variety.

58 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

WHOA!!!!!   Those are Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Large!   I have NEVER seen a glass that size described as a whiskey glass.    My hat is humbly off in deference to anybody doing a couple pours like this... even if they're only of the 80-proof variety.

That pour went back in the bottle— I was just seeing how big a dent it would make in a freshly opened bottle. The box should really carry a “For Novelty Use Only” statement— as duplicating and consuming the photographically recommended pour could really damage someone or worse. 

• I like it 1

• 5 months later...

Hi, New Cat here.  Using these red tag specials from TJ Maxx for now (below), but I have $50 GC for Saks burning a hole. What do you all think about these:

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/schott-zwiesel-set-of-six-tritan-bar-special-stemless-whiskey-nosing-glass/product/0400092620132?R=646292521511&P_name=Schott+Zwiesel&Ntt=whiskey&N=0

Glasses I'm using presently: 

glass.jpg

Edited by Tulse

44 minutes ago, Tulse said:

Hi, New Cat here.  Using these red tag specials from TJ Maxx for now (below), but I have $50 GC for Saks burning a hole. What do you all think about these:

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/schott-zwiesel-set-of-six-tritan-bar-special-stemless-whiskey-nosing-glass/product/0400092620132?R=646292521511&P_name=Schott+Zwiesel&Ntt=whiskey&N=0

Glasses I'm using presently: 

glass.jpg

Nice price on the ones from Saks.  Nice looking glass.  6 for $60 sounds good.  The rocks glasses have their place, too, on every bar.  Cheers!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

I like the concept of lead being replaced by titanium and zirconium.

LMAO!

Thanks, All.

For $10 after the gift card, I figure why not.  I can't find a single item otherwise I'd even be remotely interested in. And I absolutely need 6. I'm a clutz. 

Edited by Tulse

1 hour ago, Tulse said:

And I absolutely need 6. I'm a clutz. 

Welcome to the club. <_<

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Tulse said:

Thanks, All.

For $10 after the gift card, I figure why not.  I can't find a single item otherwise I'd even be remotely interested in. And I absolutely need 6. I'm a clutz. 

ALWAYS good to have extras!     Wait until you have a few of 'em spontaneously shatter (an actual thing) while not touching anything or anybody, not to mention the "klutz factor".

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Tulse said:

Thanks, All.

I’m well past simply being a clutz.  I’m a full on Clod...  ?

• I like it 1

I got those glasses today from Saks today. They're extremely nice.  Made in Germany. I'd have no fear doing a big group toast even after everyone had a few. :)

It didn't dawn on me this was "Schott" glass of Schott AG owned by Zeiss. It should have because I've been a lifelong photographer and use many of their incredible new on old lenses. 

After looking on Amazon at others, at 10 bux a piece, these really do seem like a nice deal. Perfect use of my $50 gift card. 

Can't wait to partake.  Thanks, All. 

IMG_7484.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My recently purchased Kentucky Bourbon Trail glasses from Amazon.  Just the right size for my big fat face.

Libbey Signature Kentucky Bourbon Trail Whiskey Glasses, Set of 4

Not my photo.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.