What is your favorite whisky glass for every day drams?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/24/2020 at 2:05 PM, Richnimrod said:

ALWAYS good to have extras!     Wait until you have a few of 'em spontaneously shatter (an actual thing) while not touching anything or anybody, not to mention the "klutz factor".

You should have a 150 lb. dog that takes everything off the end table with one swish of his tail...lol.

• I like it 1

I started my Bourbon journey 9 months ago and have recently been using (ironically) a glass like the one in my avatar.  Technically I think it is a stemless wine glass, but it has a sort of round base/narrower opening like a Glendairn.  I don't recall that any of the KY distilleries we visited last October used Glencairns in their tastings or we might have brought a couple back with us.

I became aware of these glasses thanks to Cliff Michel and I've always admired them.  Today I came across a 3 for 12 deal at a local antique shop.  I prefer them to my Glencairns because I can easily get my big honker in there.   Riedel Vinum Single Malt glass.

IMG_5255.thumb.jpg.b99a98aa50019a092eea1b350cf94ee4.jpg

IMG_5257.thumb.jpg.f176f9a04424cab4e128268b93c3c87b.jpg

• I like it 3

Glencairn whiskey glass for up to 100 -105 proof.   Riddel bourbon glass for 100+ proof.    I find that the Glencairn over emphasizes the alcohol vapors on high proof whiskeys.  The Riddel handles them better for my purposes.  

Unfortunately, the Riddels went off the market many years ago.  I was able to pick up more on ebay.  I have about 6  of 8 left.  They are very tender and can break easily.

• 1 month later...

Favorite glass redux - Below is a photo of the four glasses I use for neat sipping, each of which has been featured here on SB but not all in one shot.  Each in the shot of four holds an ounce of VBT # 736 to which I think I HAVE BECOME ADDICTED.  The shot of two glasses features the two glasses I use most, and the single glass shot shows what I poured the other three into before adding four small cubes so I didn't trip on the stairs on the way to bed.

From LEFT to RIGHT as you look at them, a basic Old Fashioned glass holding about 8.5 ounces at the brim; a Straight Bourbon Glencairn with volume at the bulb about 2 ounces, a Sommelier's tasting glass holding 4.9 OZ. at the brim and; a 3.9 ounce plastic sampling glass (brand lost when I recycled the box as the box held 200 of them so it was a lifetime's supply).

FWIW, drinking that 4 OZ. of VBT 736 over an hour likely would make me unable to drive BUT able to speak coherently.

What prompted me to post this was a comment recently on SB that the poster had decided to migrate to single OF glasses and forgo Glencairns except for fancy sipping/nosing.  THIS got me thinking - I've knocked over far fewer single OF glasses than the other three although the OF is harder to hide in a pocket than the plastic taster.

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Favorite glass redux - Below is a photo of the four glasses I use for neat sipping, ...

I mostly use glass similar to your Sommelier but only maybe 1.5 oz.  I got 2 free glasses with a Courvoisier 20 years ago and it's still the one I go to most.  But I do have others, a set of 8 or 10 miniature glencairns for tastings and bunch of cool antique glasses, cut crystal, some like 150 years old.  Now if I can just find some 150 yo whiskey I'll be set.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

............ although the OF is harder to hide in a pocket than the plastic taster.

Hahahahaha! This reminds me of a story.

This goes back to 2013 when I was a newbie but a fast learner. I had figured out what the delivery schedule for the distributor of Sazerac products so about the time that Pappy was set to be delivered it behooved oneself to get to the store early in the morning on the typical delivery day. I thought I had it all figured out and yet I was the 13th in line when I showed up at 5am. The line was very collegial and full of all types. It was December and about 40 degrees. Most people were in puffy jackets and a couple had lawn chairs and propane heaters which they were happy to share. The guy in front of me was wearing slacks, dress shoes, ear muffs and a camel hair coat that extended to his knees. As I'm talking to him I notice his hand is inside his coat. He pulls it out and I see a glencairn full of whiskey. I ask him what's he drinking. It was Lot B. Hilarious.

I ended up with a PVW15 that day. 

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

For occasions where I don’t warm the liquid inside or if you want to use one of the whiskey stones here is something I found useful. Those are a bit bigger than a typical Turkish double wall tea glass, and inside cavity is basically in a shape of a glencairn, although smaller:

https://www.amazon.com/Eparé-Insulated-Double-Infuser-Tumbler/dp/B00GG0RNX0/

No connection to the seller   
LOU

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I have quite a few glasses, but these are my go-tos. From left to right:

Riedel whisky glass

Hand-blown rocks glass from Teeling (I use this the most)

Bowmore promotional glass

Jefferson cup from Williamsburg Silversmith

Mid-century rocks glass gifted by my great-uncle (my go-to for Old Fashioneds)

Cut glass rocks that came with a decanter (lives on my bar as a daily driver)

Glenmorangie thistle glass

C4E7AD56-F2B4-4A79-AADF-85EE2177100C.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I use the last of a set of 4 Jack Daniels whiskey glasses, I got in the 1980s.

Heavy glass.  

It is my only until it breaks. 

I do have these for Christmas time. LOL

Also a shot glass made from an A-10 Warthog spent shell casing 

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

• I like it 3

On 5/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, dwg13013 said:

I do have these for Christmas time. LOL

Also a shot glass made from an A-10 Warthog spent shell casing 

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

Those shot glasses!

On 5/15/2021 at 5:30 PM, dwg13013 said:

I use the last of a set of 4 Jack Daniels whiskey glasses, I got in the 1980s.

Heavy glass.  

It is my only until it breaks. 

Because of this thread 

I ended up ordering a 2 set of Glencairn Canadian.

Then I looked on the top shelf of a cabinet, Last looked was a decade or 2 ago.

Found another  Jack Daniel Old # 7. Simple glass, but gets the job done. 

Also a 6 set of twist glasses.   Both from probably the 198os sometime.

Thanks

IMG_20210521_065203998_HDR.jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

Edited by dwg13013
  • I like it 1

I ask anyone here for help

I had a bourbon with dinner at a restaurant.

it was served in a clear simple whiskey or old fashioned glass, about 8oz or so.

It was a good size rounded to fit the hand.  It also had 4 indentions or dimples. As it was gripped  the thumb and finger fit perfectly, and naturally. 

I never had a glass fit better in my hand.

The restaurant was no help with where they got it, or brand.

I have searched online, trying to describe the depressions. 

If I could find it, I would buy a set for sure.  

I found Libbey makes one with 2 dimples, and a reputation for breakage because of thin. 

Another wit a thumb depression, and color injected into it. 

It looks like Libbey (Impressions) makes four-dimpled glasses in 8/12/16 oz ranges, but as you say, lots of complaints on Amazon about thinness and breakage on current ones. I know my brother has glasses like these in 16oz, probably many years (decades?) old, and are very sturdy and comfortable. You might consider looking for used ones at some resale shops like Goodwill, etc.

• I like it 1

If you can - check out a St. Vincent DePaul Store. 👍

They get tons of house wares like glasses. 

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, lemonman said:

It looks like Libbey (Impressions) makes four-dimpled glasses in 8/12/16 oz ranges, but as you say, lots of complaints on Amazon about thinness and breakage on current ones. I know my brother has glasses like these in 16oz, probably many years (decades?) old, and are very sturdy and comfortable. You might consider looking for used ones at some resale shops like Goodwill, etc.

I find those reviews kind of odd. I don't have these glasses specifically but our everyday wine glasses are Libbey.  They are rockstar wine glasses that can take a lot of abuse.  Libbey produces for restaurants.  As such, they need to be durable and ready for an industrial dishwasher.  

• I like it 2

Yeah, I have Libbey wine glasses too, and some juice glasses which look like miniature rocks tumblers; they're all very solid. Don't have any experience with the ones in question, though. The juice glasses make a great halfway point between a Glencairn and a full size tumbler.

Another thought on these current glasses; you might want to check some department stores & see if any have them on the shelves to see them first hand. I found those juice glasses at Meijer, and they were almost half price vs. Amazon.

• I like it 1

I finished my search for dimpled glasses.  Went with Lyra glassware.

Had one in use last night, and it just feels good in my hand. Never would have believed it makes a difference what glass is used.

Glasses.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

Edinburgh “thistle” crystal rocks glasses. Shipped a dozen home after learning to drink single malts in the late nineties. Turns out, they work just as well for the latest bourbon tastings.

And glasses I use when I prefer my wife doesn’t count the rocks glasses used last night.

Edited by BrianTh

• 7 months later...

For rocks and Old Fashions I like my Ridel Nachtmann Punk Tumblers and for Straight and drops of water I like the Glencarin

311C5643-81EA-4CA2-A676-F5F088BDF85F.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.