BOTM 2/16: Baker's

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This thread has indeed prompted me to seek out the Baker's, only to find that it is difficult to find.  ~$50 gives me pause though, when Four Roses Single Barrel is less than $40, Pikesville Rye continues to call my name at $50 and Bookers here is about $9 more...

I went to the store fully expecting to pick up a bottle.  Priced at 37 bucks it seemed like a good deal.  And then further down the shelf I saw the Knob Creek Single Barrel for 34 bucks.

I walked out empty-handed.  I may end up going back for the Bakers just because I never buy it and it IS the Bourbon of the Month and it is a good price.  But I'll have to convince myself.

-Mike

45 minutes ago, scratchline said:

I went to the store fully expecting to pick up a bottle.  Priced at 37 bucks it seemed like a good deal.  And then further down the shelf I saw the Knob Creek Single Barrel for 34 bucks.

I walked out empty-handed.  I may end up going back for the Bakers just because I never buy it and it IS the Bourbon of the Month and it is a good price.  But I'll have to convince myself.

-Mike

37 for Baker's is about the best price you'll find in the country. Just go for it.

16 hours ago, scratchline said:

-Mike

That post exemplifies the conundrum... of Baker's...:)

$37 is a good deal, though!  :lol:

Baker's has always been my favorite Beam product, and I love it. I am also fond of Booker's and Knob Creek, but to a lesser degree. Don't care for Basil Hayden's at all. And don't much care for anything with "Beam" in the name these days (have yet to try the Signature), though I have willingly consumed gallons of Beam over the years. I know what people mean when they say the Beam yeast bothers them, but nothing about Baker's bothers me. So why do I keep taking a chance on bottles of juice I'm unfamiliar with (and often wind up not liking) that are in (or above) Baker's price range? Is that my version of the Baker's conundrum? I don't have any Baker's on the shelf, but I will buy a bottle on the way home tonight and enjoy it this weekend. Baker's is always an excellent pour.

I picked up a Baker's last weekend.  I believe I bought it for $30 with a 15% volume discount.  I also bought a KCSB at the same time.  I debated which to open first.  I think I chose well.  I see adding another bottle or two to the bunker.

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I picked up a Baker's last weekend.  I believe I bought it for $30 with a 15% volume discount.

Whaaaaat? It's $53 in OR... It would be an everyday thing if I could get it at $30 or $35...

1 hour ago, GrPeMi said:

Whaaaaat? It's $53 in OR... It would be an everyday thing if I could get it at $30 or $35...

There's a couple places in the country where Baker's and Booker's are ridiculously cheap and Washington and Oregon are not those places.

2 minutes ago, GrPeMi said:

Is *anything* in OR and WA ridiculously cheap? Doesn't seem like it...

Definitely not, though there is that no tax thing in Oregon that makes it seem pretty dang cheap compared to Washington.

21 hours ago, GrPeMi said:

It is normally around $42 in Indiana.  I found a place that carries it for $38.  They had it on sale for $36 and with the 15% discount it was around $30.50.  It was difficult to pass at that price.

• 5 months later...

On to yet another bottle of Bakers, and sipping it tonight.  It continues to be a spectacular whiskey, as most Beam products are really in my wheelhouse these days. 7 years of aging is such a sweet spot at Beam IMO, and this 107 proof really makes it shine.  As I continue to dive into Beam whiskies, and specifically Bakers, I find myself wavering from feeling elation that after so many years of bourbon drinking I find such joy in finally  "discovering" Beam, while ruing the fact that I didn't appreciate Beam much earlier.  

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

On to yet another bottle of Bakers, and sipping it tonight.  It continues to be a spectacular whiskey, as most Beam products are really in my wheelhouse these days. 7 years of aging is such a sweet spot at Beam IMO, and this 107 proof really makes it shine.  As I continue to dive into Beam whiskies, and specifically Bakers, I find myself wavering from feeling elation that after so many years of bourbon drinking I find such joy in finally  "discovering" Beam, while ruing the fact that I didn't appreciate Beam much earlier.  

I went through my last bottle of Baker's so fast because it's so good. Haven't replaced it yet because of the stink eye my wife gave for bringing 24 bottles home from Bourbon Affair (and another 6 from our family visit the month after). I really do want another one and your post reminds me of that. 

21 hours ago, flahute said:

I went through my last bottle of Baker's so fast because it's so good. Haven't replaced it yet because of the stink eye my wife gave for bringing 24 bottles home from Bourbon Affair (and another 6 from our family visit the month after). I really do want another one and your post reminds me of that. 

WHAT!!!!???? That's only SIX (cases)!   How could any reasonable person conclude that any such limited quantity (not even into double digits yet!) should constitute a reaction like a 'wifely stink eye' (not something to be taken lightly by anyone wishing to sustain the marriage, I know).    Steve, you sir, are a true romantic to have stayed with the woman after such an affront.    Heeee-He! 

I'm kidding, of course.    I'm sure your bride is a peach of the highest order, and probably deserves better than being the butt of my jokes.    However, I just can't help myself.

On 2/28/2016 at 1:15 AM, flahute said:

There's a couple places in the country where Baker's and Booker's are ridiculously cheap and Washington and Oregon are not those places.

I like Baker's and would drink a lot more of it but the price in OH is so close to Booker's that I just spring for the Booker's instead. By the way, neither of them could be called "ridiculously cheap" in OH.

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Howdy,

Best bourbon I've ever had. It's got this wonderful peppery thing going on. Excellent pour!

• 6 months later...

Was never really a Beam guy but an older bottle of Bookers from my brother and a KCSB store pick that I bought to keep up relations have both been really good. May have to suck up the $50 price tag and give Bakers a run. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 10:45 PM, Mako254 said:

Was never really a Beam guy but an older bottle of Bookers from my brother and a KCSB store pick that I bought to keep up relations have both been really good. May have to suck up the $50 price tag and give Bakers a run. 

Do it.

It's really good.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, flahute said:

Do it.

It's really good.

From reading here and other places it sounds like Beam doesn’t really know what to do/ how to market it and partly Bakers doesn’t have the following of Bookers or Knob Creek.

107 is right smack dab in the middle of the proof window that I like. I’m off Wednesday and plan on picking up a bottle

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

From reading here and other places it sounds like Beam doesn’t really know what to do/ how to market it.............

Correct.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

From reading here and other places it sounds like Beam doesn’t really know what to do/ how to market it and partly Bakers doesn’t have the following of Bookers or Knob Creek.

Right, as far as I can tell from their weak efforts in this regard.    I'd even go so far as to say they don't seem to have the desire to do it any 'better' than they are now doing.

I'm just glad they know very well how to make it consistently outstanding, and rather unique in it's profile for a Beam offering.    ...Or, for anybody else's offering, I guess.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.