Berghoff 14 yr bourbon

Sean Bond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I realize this is years late (not only because Stitzel-Weller is gone, but also because the Berghoff restaurant is completely different nowadays), but is there any place (most likely online) that still has leads on old bottles of this stuff? While I don't care too much myself (I try to be content with the bourbon being made today, because that's the only way to stay sane!), it's my father's all-time favorite whiskey, and as a frequenter of the bar back in the day, he speaks of it in the tone of a kid after their first trip to Disneyland. 

My guess is no one has any info anymore, and realistically, something along the lines of a PVW15 would be his best bet (ignoring how difficult that is to find), but I thought a bottle of the Berghoff stuff would be an amazing present/trip down memory lane for him, so I figured I'd ask. 

Also, since I assume the answer is "no, you're crazy," for those who've had it (I know this narrows it to mostly Chicagoland people), am I on track with the youngest Pappy being closest in taste? When I was going to the Berghoff I was sadly only old enough to have their delicious root beer (and pretzels!), so I have no context for that stuff. 

Oh!  The old Berghoff - 112 years.  Creamed spinach, bratwurst, mustard crusted filet, fifty year old waiters who looked seventy.  I recall they had their own ales and bourbon. Le Perroquet, Jovan, The Bakery, Trotter's - back when Chicago dining was an epicurean event.

I remember Berghoff brand beer too.  We even got that in Indiana.  They had several different kinds including bock.  I don't think I've seen any of that since maybe the early 1990s.

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

I remember Berghoff brand beer too.  We even got that in Indiana.  They had several different kinds including bock.  I don't think I've seen any of that since maybe the early 1990s.

I remember seeing the beers around here in the early-to-mid 2000s. I don't think I'v ever encountered any Berghoff spirits, though.

Based on the provenance of Berghoffs being from S-W to start, then transitioning over to being bottled by JVW III at the Old Commonwealth bottling facility in Lawrenceburg from S-W stocks, I guess the closest currently available would be the Pappy 15.  If you could locate an Old Rip 15, you would be damn close, I think.  I believe those we're going out the door from JVW III about the same time as he was supplying Berghoff's, and from presumably the same stocks, at about the same aged whiskey?

I'd ask at Delilah's in Chicago. If Mike Miller didn't manage to wangle a bottle or two from the original Berghoff when they closed, I'd be very surprised. He archives whiskey.

On 2/6/2016, 6:52:49, shoshani said:

I'd ask at Delilah's in Chicago. If Mike Miller didn't manage to wangle a bottle or two from the original Berghoff when they closed, I'd be very surprised. He archives whiskey.

That's an interesting idea, thanks! I don't live all that far from Delilah's, so that shouldn't be a tough sell.

• 2 months later...

When I first moved to Chicago in 2003, some regulars at the Berghoff bought me several glasses of this bourbon. Quite an experience. 

On 2/5/2016 at 10:05 AM, smokinjoe said:

If you could locate an Old Rip 15, you would be damn close, I think.  

They are out there, expect to pay 3k though. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, bjhowell said:
  Reveal hidden contents

One of the boys brought this one to our pre-Whiskyfest gathering in Chicago a few weeks back.

image.jpg

Dear God.  I want that so bad.  Is that wrong?

• I like it 1

• 1 year later...

Tony - you’re barking up the wrong tree.  SB is not the place to inquire about the secondary market value of bottles, or where you can sell or trade them. Tell your buddy to open it up and give you drink - I bet it’s fantastic 

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 3

• 2 years later...

I have an unopened bottle of this Bourbon.  It was given to me a long time ago and I forgot about it.  The story about how I acquired it is pretty strange.

21 hours ago, Joe fry said:

I have an unopened bottle of this Bourbon.  It was given to me a long time ago and I forgot about it.  The story about how I acquired it is pretty strange.

Let's hear it...

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, bjhowell said:
  Reveal hidden contents

One of the boys brought this one to our pre-Whiskyfest gathering in Chicago a few weeks back.

image.jpg

I have one of those Old Cabin Still hillbilly decanters on my bar shelf.     

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.