Is "BARREL BOURBON" Worth the cost of Admission?

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Somehow batch 6 still lingers on shelves near me. I guess it is a fairly expensive bottle and an average consumer may not know what it is, but I would've thought this would have sold out by now based on some of the other garbage that sells

We've got a couple of PS's here that are stellar.  Better yet, they started out around $100 and have steadily dropped down into the mid-70's.  IMO, batch 5 is the worst one to date.  Still plenty of BW001 on the shelves here (if you know where to look). 

I revisited my barrell bourbons that I have tonight (batches 7-9) and I tasted that same unique flavor I found in garrison brothers Texas bourbon (kind of a straw/hay flavor) in batch 7 mostly and a little in batch 8. batch 9 didn't have much of it, batch 9 is my favorite. I wonder if there is any garrison in barrell bourbons mix or if its all George Dickel and my palette is just too young too differentiate. Any thoughts?

We've tossed that around up thread.  Most think it's Dickel, but the jury is still out (mainly because we do know that the mashbill is not their standard).  Besides, we're a bunch of speculators, and it's fun to speculate! :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Paddy said:

We've tossed that around up thread.  Most think it's Dickel, but the jury is still out (mainly because we do know that the mashbill is not their standard).  Besides, we're a bunch of speculators, and it's fun to speculate! :lol: 

The Barrel guys were at the KBA back in June. (Whiskey Live to be more specific). I tried 3 of the different batches. I got the vitamin note in all of them. I pressed those guys for the source and they all but confirmed it was Dickel. 

^^^^Well, as we've discussed, if it ain't Dickel, it sure does do a hell of an impersonation of it!  :lol: 

If it is, I'm still shocked that someone starting out this small scale was able to wrestle them into running a 'special' mashbill for these barrels.  Or the 'special' mashbill runs had already been made?  :o

That is the head scratcher. Could be they had these alternate mashbill recipes made and decided to go with what is their current mashbill so they sold the alternates. Or, it could have been an experiment they decided not to roll into their standard product line. The vitamin note is a dead giveaway to me and has to be the yeast. That's my opinion at least!

Forgive my ignorance, but I threw in the garrison brothers similarity because I didn't know whether or not NDP's mixed barrels from different distilleries or not when making their batches. Do they use barrels from the same distillery, at least in the case of barrell bourbon?

6 minutes ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I threw in the garrison brothers similarity because I didn't know whether or not NDP's mixed barrels from different distilleries or not when making their batches. Do they use barrels from the same distillery, at least in the case of barrell bourbon?

Barrel Bourbon is from Tennessee so there's definitely nothing from Garrison in it. 

Some NDP's will mix barrels from different distilleries (Bulleit) or will mix different mashbills, but most don't. 

Anyone try batch 001 and comment on the quality?

Are you talking Barrel Bourbon, or Barrel Whiskey? I would think that batch 001 of the bourbon is long gone, but batch 001 of the whiskey is still around.

Opened a bottle of batch 006 and it was interesting, I swear it has a nose of frosted flakes and finished with apples! Anyone else get this or something similar?

All I could keep saying is, "This is different."

I have always been interested in Barrel Bourbon.  Binny's has several batches.  However, I have never cared for Dickel so I have been afraid to take the step and buy one, especially given the cost.  

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have always been interested in Barrel Bourbon.  Binny's has several batches.  However, I have never cared for Dickel so I have been afraid to take the step and buy one, especially given the cost.  

You are wise to be afraid. The Dickel vitamin note is ever present in Barrel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.