Evan Williams Bottled in Bond

b1gcountry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just finished off my first bottle of this. I've gone back and forth a number of times on how much I enjoy the bourbon. I've gone from buying two handles to keep handy, to regretting it, then picking it as one of my favorites in a blind tasting. On a good night it tastes very powerful and well rounded, but on a bad night, it reeks of acetone and bananas, or even tastes of sage and hints of peatiness. It all seems to lie on what my taste buds are receptive to on any particular night.

tonight was a good night. The nose still smells of bananas from a glencairn glass,  although I get much less of this using a rocks glass. I do smell sage occasionally, but not always, and oak makes a surprising, although very mild appearance.

The taste has a surprising smoothness given the proof, age, and price. It has a slight, banana sweetness, and a long, but subtle finish. Hints of oak are present if you look for them, and the overall taste is light to moderate herbal notes, and earthiness. At times this herbal taste comes across rather strongly as sage, overpowering the other flavors. Other times the banana dominates. When your palate can take these different tastes in evenly the effect is quite pleasant, but on nights where it is more sensitive to the banana, or sage notes, it leaves you wanting. Leaving the glass sit a few minutes does tend to have a positive effect on this. 

Overall, it is a small risk at $11 a bottle, and on nights where the flavor does not suit me, I don't feel guilty dumping the contents. Adding a few splashes of a high rye whiskey also seems to help balance it out on banana nights. Where this shines the brightest is at the end of a long tasting session. This bourbon is strong enough to cut through a tired palate, and make a very nice night cap. 

• I like it 1

I'd agree that sometimes it's on and sometimes it's off. I'd say that a little more than half the time it was off for me. Just tasted too young. Great price for sure, but I'd rather pay a little more for the Heaven Hill BIB 6yr. 

• I like it 1

I have an order in with my brother in law who is going to be in TN soon. I don't know if hh6 is distributed there or not, but it is not here in mo.

• I like it 1

I would love to find HHBiB6, but it is unavailable here.  I love pouring the EWBiB in one Glencairn, EWB in another, EWSB 2005, and EWSB 2006 in two others and letting the fun begin.

• I like it 1

I thoroughly enjoy EWBiB - especially at the price of $13.99!  Have never had the opportunity to have the HHBiB.

• I like it 1

Two things you can count on, while in KY...

1.  HH BIB is always available for $10 and change

2.  ECBP is never to be found on a store shelf.

it is the best of times, while yet... It is the worst of times.

• I like it 1

I've never asked more of it than it offers and haven't been disappointed.  It's a solid whisky and a damned good bargain as well.

• I like it 2

It's interesting, to me, to read b1gcountry's description of the EWBIB flavor. I don't get any of the same notes out of it. Not saying he's wrong by any means. I always seem to taste toffee and oak. I like it a lot for the price range. It's been my go to pour lately.

• I like it 1

I had about 4oz of EWBiB last night, the flavor notes I got all night were creamy Jif Peanut butter on the entry, and an oakey, caramel finish.  Just delicious.

Edited by starhopper
  • I like it 1

It is interesting to me how different this can taste to different folks. I'm also sure things Taste different to me depending on where I am with my allergies/cold or stuff like that.

• I like it 1

On 2/19/2016, 1:44:24, flahute said:

I'd agree that sometimes it's on and sometimes it's off. I'd say that a little more than half the time it was off for me. Just tasted too young. Great price for sure, but I'd rather pay a little more for the Heaven Hill BIB 6yr. 

Totally agree. It is a solid bourbon at a great price, just tastes too young for me. I always have the 6yr bonded available, and for the same money, I don't buy the EWBIB very often

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

It is interesting to me how different this can taste to different folks. I'm also sure things Taste different to me depending on where I am with my allergies/cold or stuff like that.

Indeed!  My own thinking is that we're taking notice of the same things, but just have different descriptors for them.  Which, isn't necessarily an experience or vocabulary issue, but rather how each if us is "wired" to respond to different flavors.  

• I like it 1

I read am article recently about how the whole tongue flavor areas was wrong. It also mentioned we only have about 4 different basic flavors we can taste.( There is speculation on a fifth)

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

Totally agree. It is a solid bourbon at a great price, just tastes too young for me. I always have the 6yr bonded available, and for the same money, I don't buy the EWBIB very often

On February 19, 2016 at 1:44:24 AM, flahute said:

That extra 2 years really does add a lot to this whiskey.  

• I like it 1

I picked up a bottle a month or two ago. It has kind of a musty funk, but I don't find it strong or objectionable at all. It sits proudly in a 12-bottle case, flanked by its stablemates Henry McKenna 10YO BiB and JTS Brown BiB. 

• I like it 1

While still a new one for me it is one that I am very enthusiastic about. Its a good proof, great price (11-12.00) and most importantly when poured into a Glencarin and sipped, it doesn't suck. There are times when I just want a bourbon,  I don't care to contemplate the many layers of flavor or count droplets of water to reach flavor nirvana so cue up the EWBiB.   

Got a recipe that calls for bourbon and there is no way you are reaching for that 4RPS bottle staring back at you? Cue up the EWBiB

A friend stops by or you host a gathering and folks want to try some of this bourbon thing and there is an excellent chance that a couple sips in and out comes the Ginger ale or Coke?  EWBiB to the rescue and your not feeling like you wasted a pour or pours and you didn't because again, it doesn't suck! this is a good bourbon.

EWBiB is a great all around bourbon, a utility player that fits well into any role. The flavors it has while not deeply layered or complex, are good. This can be sipped and enjoyed without wishing there was a Coke or planter nearby.

Its only 4 yrs old but isn't harsh and the fact that it is enjoyable neat was a real eye opener for me. I overlooked this one for far too long. I have had EWB several times and always enjoyed it but missed this one and I am also looking forward to the HH6yr variation on this theme.  

I have yet to have an "off" experience with EWBiB and if I do its me not the bourbon, I like it a lot as it does so many things well and its only sins are those of omission which are easily overlooked given the pleasure it provides.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

There are times when I just want a bourbon,  I don't care to contemplate the many layers of flavor or count droplets of water to reach flavor nirvana so cue up the EWBiB.   

And that about sums it up. Good flavor, good value, and pretty much a no brainer, which is exactly what is called for at times. I agree wholeheartedly.

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

Bought my first bottle about three weeks ago and it's almost gone. I really like it a alot, one of the best value pours though I agree it has a quite heavy (albeit interesting) musty, earthy funk to it.

• I like it 1

EWBIB defines what bourbon should be in my opinion. It is tasty, affordable, versatile, and nationally available. I only like it neat, with a splash of water, in cocktails, on the rocks, to share with bourbon newbies, to share with bourbon veterans, for everyday sips, and for special occasions.  

• I like it 1

• 11 months later...

I brought home and cracked a bottle of EWBIB last night.  I overpaid at $18, in a mark-up after-hours store (state stores close at 8pm).   Decent, with a good amount of flavor.  The flavor didn't linger as much, but that just calls for expedited sipping ;).  The color is quite dark.  Its actually darker than my OGD114.  For lower price 100 proofers, this might be a tad more flavorful than the even-cheaper Virgin Bourbon 101, and almost comparable with the more expensive OFS. 

• I like it 1

I picked up a bottle of EW BIB a long time ago. Year and a half, maybe. Something was seemingly off with it, some sort of funky note. It was drinkable, it just seemed to be way outside the usual HH profile.

I wound up vatting it together with JTS Brown BIB, also from HH. That smoothed it out nicely. I'd buy it again, just because I know I can always ameliorate it somewhere if I get a similar anomaly. 

• I like it 1

On 2/19/2016 at 7:23 PM, Paddy said:

Two things you can count on, while in KY...

1.  HH BIB is always available for $10 and change

2.  ECBP is never to be found on a store shelf.

it is the best of times, while yet... It is the worst of times.

exactly true, on both. I NEVER see ECBP anywhere, period. and with HH 6 year BIB, it's plentiful if you know which stores stock it, as most do not.

If I lived anywhere other than KY/IN, I'd grab EWBIB, but here, the HH6BIB is actually cheaper than the EWBIB. I wonder how long that will hold out.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.