Best Tour For the Whole Family

b1gcountry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am taking my family to Gatlinburg this summer, and Lexington is a decent stopping point to split up the drive. I would like to take the family on a distillery trip, and it will give the 3 and 5 year olds something to do after a long ride in the car. Any suggestions on the best tour to take two energetic boys and a mildly disinterested wife?

Buffalo Trace is in Frankfort, which is close to Lexington.  I think it's the prettiest of the distilleries, and there is a fair amount of walking around outside.  I'm not sure how much your 3 and 5 year olds will like it, but it might be your best overall option for distilleries.

Another option, right in Lex if I understand their ads, is Alltech.     They are a quite new distiller, and may not have the historic vibe of the established ones; but would likely very convenient.

Thanks. Convenient is good. Walking is probably really good. We will probably spend the night but I don't know if we will do the tour in the morning before leaving, or the afternoon after arriving.

Buffalo Trace is pretty convenient (just jump off 75 onto 64W for 1/2 hour or less to get to the distillery).  It will give you the full package experience.  Woodford, Wild Turkey and Four Roses are also nearby, but BT is probably your easiest 'big boy' to get to without getting too far off course. 

If you decide to do Alltech in Lexington, everything is there except the large campus and history, as it is located in the heart of the metro.  You'll see the entire process, plus the pot stills are pretty cool.  Samples of bourbon, rye and white dog will also be available.  The upside to Alltech is that Lexington now has 8 (maybe 9) craft breweries that are also within easy striking distance (as well as multiple hotel/food options)!  :rolleyes:

Just sayin'...

Never been to Alltech, but would also vouch for Buffalo Trace as easy to get to, and a nice experience to walk the grounds.  Their "tour" relies a lot on a video (you don't see the working distillery), but for a family-visit I think that might be more appealing.    

6 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

BT sounds promising. How important is it to get tickets in advance?

You don't need a ticket for the regular tour.  If you want to do a specialized tour, such as the hard had tour, you should call ahead and reserve your spots.

• 4 weeks later...

For something pretty interactive for the wife and boys I suggest the Evan Williams Bourbon Experience in Louisville - this is a great experience and my "mildly disinterested" wife loved that one better than all the other's I took her on and I really enjoyed it as well.

I would vote for Woodford Reserve. The grounds are beautiful and the tour is visually more interesting than the other tours I've done. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.