Booker's Rye

jakerthesnaker79
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been thinking for a while now that Julian VW, who has said previously he didn't want to grow his whiskey stocks more than 5% per year due to the unpredictability of the market, should raise the MSRP of the Pappys by around 30-50%, and apply this entire price increase into growing at something closer to 30% year over year. Even if he ends up getting "stuck" with all this great whiskey, it will have come to him for what amounts to no investment vs. what he's taking out of the business now.

I agree it's great that BT keeps the BTAC relatively low priced, but I wouldn't mind them doubling MSRP if they committed to using the extra scratch purely to goose production so we could get these products back on the shelves in the long run.

I know it's a thread about Booker's Rye - Well, I hope they do the same and use their cut of the 300 to lay down a whole new generation of Booker's Rye!

It seems at first like a good thing that Sazerac keeps the prices low on those LEs, but I think that BTAC and the VW line are pretty obviously underpriced at retail given the current market conditions, and that incentivizes flipping and trading. I'm not sure what the prices should be, though.

Wow . . . that's too bad, as I'd had loved to buy a bottle (and probably would have talked myself into it for $150 even).  But I don't blame 'em.  As others pointed out - LEs will sell out at that price point.  Someone mentioned buying a bottle and splitting it 4-8 ways, and I think that is a fabulous idea (to clarify - I am NOT talking about selling samples as that would be illegal, but if some friends go together to buy a bottle, and between them they had 5 200 ml bottles, and filled 'em with 150 ml each . . . I know I'd be in for the $60 it would cost for the opportunity to try it).  

• 1 month later...

I was invited to a whiskey tasting last night hosted by Beam Suntory. Bookers rye was on the sheet (they didn't bring a bottle, so didn't get to try it), and it should retail for $299.00. I'm sure it's not going to sit on the shelf long, even at that price. (And I'm sure if I see one I'll pick it up, damit!!)

They aren't counting on "us" to buy this stuff. They are counting on the 5 star restaurant, hipster crowd that has been convinced that Pappy is the pinnacle of all bourbon.... so, $300 Booker's must surely be as good or better!

Yeah - I'm hoping I'll get a chance to try it someday, but not counting on it (and certainly not picking it up at $300 a bottle).  I don't blame them though, as I think LC is right - it won't sit on any shelves long even at that price.  

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someday soon I'll have a special occasion to celebrate and I'll throw down $50 for a pour at a bar.

• 2 weeks later...

As this gets closer to being potentially available my brain keeps saying NOOOO!

But my palate and ever growing belly keeps saying yes in spite of the painfully excessive price. At $200 I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to resist my whiskeyrexia nervosa if I got the opportunity to buy it at close to retail. $300 is still a bit difficult to swallow even for my Jabba the Belly!

Addiction is a terrible thing... :wacko:

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

As this gets closer to being potentially available my brain keeps saying NOOOO!

But my palate and ever growing belly keeps saying yes in spite of the painfully excessive price. At $200 I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to resist my whiskeyrexia nervosa if I got the opportunity to buy it at close to retail. $300 is still a bit difficult to swallow even for my Jabba the Belly!

Addiction is a terrible thing... :wacko:

I hear you. Loud and Clear.

I'm so disappointed in this price. It's high enough to take me out of the chase. I'm not going to call my locals and inquire about it and put in the hustle required to get one. If I come across one by luck however...........it will be hard to resist.

Spare a thought for us Aussies.  These bottles will end up being $500 by the time they land here with shipping and taxes added in.  A few guys in the whiskey groups I frequent have already formed groups to split bottles, so they'll all get 100 - 200ml each.   Not sure who gets the bottle though :)

You know a release is controversial when it makes SKU quit the internet.

I'm not real big on Beam products, but I would have a hard time turning this down up to $150.  The uniqueness and history behind it make it that interesting to me.  At $300, about all this accomplishes is making me thankful Heaven Hill is "only" charging around $50 for Pikesville 6yr.  Well, and I laughed out loud the first time I read the MSRP.

I would detail, at length, the extreme ages, actual rarity, and high quality of various other spirits Booker's Rye is competing with in that price bracket, but no point in belaboring the obvious.  This is not a judgement upon anyone else moreso than it is a suggestion: even doing bottle splits and buying this stuff at a bar is encouraging further bad behavior from the Marketing people.  Bottom line is that they can only charge prices like this if people, bars, or groups of people pay it.  That said, whisky is a luxury item not a necessity, and Beam could probably sell this product out twice over just to bars and other on premise accounts.  

Edited by garbanzobean

Excellent comments, Eric.  I will, indeed, buy it at MSRP just because I am curious.  Above that?  Not that curious.  I have a line on some Pikesville 110 and like it just fine, and at about 2 750s of Pikesville per KC2001, I can't imagine it is twice as good.

ASIDE: Does this mean the bubble has burst?  I of all people have decided to be a value shopper.:o

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

ASIDE: Does this mean the bubble has burst?  I of all people have decided to be a value shopper.:o

I'm right there with you Harry. This is bad news for the distilleries as I used to be a shoe in for these. And everything else.

If people want to chase American whiskeys up into 300 dollar land, I say let them.

I'll wait.

Our grandparents knew the value of a bottle of whiskey, and probably our grandchildren will as well. In the meantime, there are bunkers.

If someone wants help with this one they can PM me, since I can probably help. But I'm not responsible for any value discoveries when the top gets popped.

For myself, I'm still out.

I've reluctantly pushed my price per bottle limit upwards over the past couple years, but the ceiling is still well south of the prospective asking price on this! Just too many good to great bourbons available below the $75 mark and throw in a few spectacular offerings that can be had for $50-125 a bottle.... Well for me to pay more than that unless it's something insanely special (ie AH Hirsch type special) is just foolish.

Has anyone seen this yet? I'd like to grab a bottle before the flippers grab it all. They're out there now asking to buy it so thought I'd ask. $300 is high enough at retail but the secondary will be out of my tolerance level.

I can confirm this is out in the wild in Indiana. I was fortunate to have a family member happen upon one for $259, which is still a kings ransom, but well below the project/suggested $299. It will be another month or so before it makes its was down south to me, but I am most certainly looking forward to giving it a try. If it is anything near what Bookers 25th was/is like, while still really expensive, it should be worth it at least in my opinion.

Well, to the surprise of absolutely no one I suspect, especially to people who know me, when my "enabler" called and offered me one I dutifully headed down to the store with the crowbar and Vaseline and picked one up. Fortunately the cost is justified since the bottle is covered in gold plate... :wacko:

Hard to believe it is worth $300 of course but we will see if all the hype at least translates into a good whiskey. Will have to try this blind against a couple of others so that my price bias doesn't overwhelm my assessment!

Bookers Rye LE 1.JPGBookers Rye LE 2.JPG

Edited by tanstaafl2

8 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well, to the surprise of absolutely no one I suspect, especially to people who know me, when my "enabler" called and offered me one I dutifully headed down to the store with the crowbar and Vaseline and picked one up. Fortunately the cost is justified since the bottle is covered in gold plate... :wacko:

Hard to believe it is worth $300 of course but we will see if all the hype at least translates into a good whiskey. Will have to try this blind against a couple of others so that my price bias doesn't overwhelm my assessment!

Bookers Rye LE 1.JPGBookers Rye LE 2.JPG

Very much looking forward to your blind tasting report.

It hasn't hit LA yet, but I'm sure I'll be flowing in your foot steeps.......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.