Booker's Rye

jakerthesnaker79
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Probably going to rankle a few feathers, but this one has me interested (depending on the price). 

http://recenteats.blogspot.com

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=16034001000224

What do you think the going price will be these days? An age stated 7 year rye - something around $80??

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, jakerthesnaker79 said:

Probably going to rankle a few feathers, but this one has me interested (depending on the price). 

http://recenteats.blogspot.com

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=16034001000224

What do you think the going price will be these days? An age stated 7 year rye - something around $80??

Thoughts?

This article shows it coming in closer to $100

http://bourbonr.com/blog/jim-beam-announces-bookers-rye/

Well that is just brutal....

I guess it is a 'once in a lifetime' rye......

Edited by jakerthesnaker79

16 minutes ago, Thig said:

This article shows it coming in closer to $100

http://bourbonr.com/blog/jim-beam-announces-bookers-rye/

Although that price estimate is pure speculation on the part of the blog's author it would appear based on what the 25th Anniversary Bookers cost (and that one was around 10yo). That presumes it is the 7yo noted on the TTB application. If it is the rumored 12-13yo rye he notes later in the blog then I can believe it and it would be more reasonable.

But it would be pretty overpriced at $100 it were a 7yo. Pikesville 6yo at 110 proof is a bit of a stretch in the $50's. Redemptions barrel proof 7yo from MGP was about $70 as I recall. No legitimate reason why this should cost more that I can see other than pure PR BS.

It's going to be in the 12-13 yr age range. The age and proof on the TTB label are the same figures that Beam always uses for their Booker's TTB submissions. 

The barrels were filled near the end of Booker Noe's life. I think he died in 2004 so the math puts the age at 12 minimum assuming no time was spent in a tank. 

Did you get a good rumor on the release timing, Steve? So far, we've got "later this year" with someone commenting that a rep told them September.

Hmm . . . I hate spending $100 on something without trying it first, but sounds like this will be an inst-grab.

I'll definitely be in for at least one bottle! Of course providing secondary doesn't drive the price up to 300 plus on it within days of release. 

Last night, I spoke to several Beam persons at WhiskyFest Washington DC about the Bookers Rye.  500 cases (forgot to ask how many 750s per case DUH! was distracted because I was sipping the Bookers "No Secret" released late 2015 with a little green label); 13 yrs; MSRP will be $300.  Like some Greek Chorus, some other attendees all spontaneously echoed, "Three hundred dollars!!!!"  I also forgot to write down the proof. 144 is what the scrawl looks like but who knows . . .

One of the Beam persons said (while we were talking KC prices and availability in DC, MD, and VA) he handles the account covering Montgomery County MD (which has county stores only) and told me the county warehouse should get it late May or early June for distribution when the county wants to.  IOW, it should be available nationally at retail starting in early June.

They will price me out of the market at $80 let alone anything with two zeros.

Yeah, if true that is even more stupid expensive than I thought. $150 maybe at the very top end of quasi reasonable. Makes the Russell's Reserve 1998 look like a bargain... :wacko:

Where is the pile of crap emoticon when you need it!

Edited by tanstaafl2

$300? Excellent. This means I don't have to worry about gearing up for the hustle required to find one. I'm out.

I love the idea of this but $12 an ounce for something I pour myself is probably too much. I was really looking forward to this one. :(

Maybe 13 years in a barrel would cover up the peanut skin taste of K.C. Rye.  It's an easy pass for me.  :lol:

Is this the same mashbill as KC Rye? I was disappointed in that. 

19 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Is this the same mashbill as KC Rye? I was disappointed in that. 

I would assume so. I wouldn't get too hung up on mash bill, though. Lots of whiskeys with near-identical mashbills taste pretty different from each other.

18 minutes ago, amg said:

I would assume so. I wouldn't get too hung up on mash bill, though. Lots of whiskeys with near-identical mashbills taste pretty different from each other.

Well, I won't be paying $300, so I guess it doesn't matter. 

Seriously that price is insane. Looks like they might be going the Willet route and trying to cut into some of that secondary profit. Hopefully that'll backfire on them

Unfortunately I think it's only going to backfire on the customers who have convinced themselves bottles should cost that much.

I'm guilty on splurging on something extinct, but most of my bottles now are following the exact opposite of the premiumization curve.

I think LE bourbons are finally catching up to the market right now.  RR1998, and JFitz 20yr were both in this price range and sold rather quickly.  Yes, the price sucks, but, LE bourbon is still cheaper than LE scotch.  With this being said, there is no way in hell I am buying a bottle at $300.

1 hour ago, Golzee said:

I think LE bourbons are finally catching up to the market right now.  RR1998, and JFitz 20yr were both in this price range and sold rather quickly.  Yes, the price sucks, but, LE bourbon is still cheaper than LE scotch.  With this being said, there is no way in hell I am buying a bottle at $300.

Very centered and realistic response, G.  

2 hours ago, Golzee said:

No doubt about that. Michter's has been doing this for a few years now and selling everything they bottle despite most of us scratching our heads in bafflement. Turkey went half way there with some of their LE's from a couple years ago. Willett then went full throttle secondary pricing and not only do they sell everything, secondary pricing has adjusted upward. HH has been pricing their gift shop LE's at this level for a couple years now. As you noted, Turkey then went to this new level with RR1998 and sold it all. 

So it should not come as a surprise that Beam would go from essentially sitting on the sidelines with regard to LE's to vaulting right to the top of the current pricing structure.

For all the grief that BT gets for their supply chain issues, dropping of age statements, etc., they are still to be lauded for holding their prices on BTAC, VW, and other limiteds.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.