Booker's Rye

jakerthesnaker79
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since this is well out of my price range, let us know how it is!

I've passed on 6 bottles already. If they're still there in a month (they won't be), I'll think about it. 

Well, I'm going to pick up a bottle tomorrow.  My local store (Packages & More) got one bottle, and the owner (Eric) texted me to see if I wanted it (he knew I was a rye enthusiast).  Expensive, yes but I consider it a Father's Day present to myself.

35 minutes ago, Kyjd75 said:

Well, I'm going to pick up a bottle tomorrow.  My local store (Packages & More) got one bottle, and the owner (Eric) texted me to see if I wanted it (he knew I was a rye enthusiast).  Expensive, yes but I consider it a Father's Day present to myself.

Say hey to Eric from some of us. Haven't seen him here in a while or same for making it to Etown to see him, last few Kentucky trips. Still have one of his 4R picks in a box somewhere. 

On June 17, 2016 at 10:06 PM, T Comp said:

Say hey to Eric from some of us. Haven't seen him here in a while or same for making it to Etown to see him, last few Kentucky trips. Still have one of his 4R picks in a box somewhere. 

I will.  He opened another store about a year ago about 40 miles away just off I-65 at the Cave City exit (53) called Mammoth Liquors.  The store has so far been a tremendous success and he is spending much of his time there trying to keep things in order.  Luckily he has two very reliable store managers in E'town (Ben and Pam) so the original Packages & More is still doing well, even with the opening of a Liquor Barn down the street.  Fairly sure he still reads the boards some, but he is a very busy guy right now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2016 at 10:07 AM, Kyjd75 said:

I will.  He opened another store about a year ago about 40 miles away just off I-65 at the Cave City exit (53) called Mammoth Liquors.  The store has so far been a tremendous success and he is spending much of his time there trying to keep things in order.  Luckily he has two very reliable store managers in E'town (Ben and Pam) so the original Packages & More is still doing well, even with the opening of a Liquor Barn down the street.  Fairly sure he still reads the boards some, but he is a very busy guy right now.

Good to know about his new place and there was a need for a store in that area - it's very "dry" from Bowling Green going North for a long ways and this store will make a nice little trip when I need to get away while visiting the in-laws in Glasgow.  BTW just heard that a couple of local counties there went "wet" in the recent voting so we may see a little more selection opening up

14 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Got the call and one's got my name on it.  Picking up tomorrow.

Bring some water. This one starts pretty toasty at full proof!

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Was this bottle worth the price of admission in your opinion?

13 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Was this bottle worth the price of admission in your opinion?

I have yet to encounter a bottle that was "worth" $300, based on the contents alone (and I confess I have a few of them). But as enthusiasts/whiskey nerds it is sometimes the price we have to pay to be able to try something unique, presuming one can afford it to begin with. I have that luxury but certainly understand and sympathize with those that don't.

So from that standpoint I guess the answer is yes, it was worth the cost to try it and also be able to share with fellow enthusiasts whose company I enjoy.

42 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have yet to encounter a bottle that was "worth" $300, based on the contents alone (and I confess I have a few of them). But as enthusiasts/whiskey nerds it is sometimes the price we have to pay to be able to try something unique, presuming one can afford it to begin with. I have that luxury but certainly understand and sympathize with those that don't.

So from that standpoint I guess the answer is yes, it was worth the cost to try it and also be able to share with fellow enthusiasts whose company I enjoy.

THAT'S IT!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Good Answer. Glad your enjoying it with friends!

And if you went into a store and it was sitting on the shelf with the regular Booker's and priced as Baker's and you took it to the register and she scanned it and it wasn't in the system and she walked up the aisle and looked at the Baker's shelf tag and walked back and manually inputted the price, you'd get it, right?

Of course you would.

Edited by scratchline

On 7/7/2016 at 11:05 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I'll try it neat, but I usually put a few drops in anything over 115 - 120

23 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I'll try it neat, but I usually put a few drops in anything over 115 - 120

Absolutely. I always start neat and with something new and particularly higher proof I tend to at least try it with a touch of water just to see what effect it has. For me this one definitely needed and benefited from it. That is not always the case.

1 hour ago, scratchline said:

And if you went into a store and it was sitting on the shelf with the regular Booker's and priced as Baker's and you took it to the register and she scanned it and it wasn't in the system and she walked up the aisle and looked at the Baker's shelf tag and walked back and manually inputted the price, you'd get it, right?

Of course you would.

Probably not, especially if it was a store I frequented and liked. Even if it wasn't a store I knew I would probably point it out. But that's just me.

Then if they still said the lower price was correct despite a reasonable attempt to correct the error, well, then I might I suppose.

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Bingo!  

My local had this priced at $270, which, as always is the best price in town (cough cough ahem Binny's premium not paid)

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked a couple up in NH. Only relief was also getting in on a gift card promo receiving $25 for every $150 spent.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem I personally would have when it comes to fairly rating a bottle of booze that I spent $300 or more of my hard earned money on is that it is very likely that BECAUSE I spent so much money on it, my mind and taste buds would fool me into believing that I got my money's worth.

This would cause me to give it a much higher score than it actually deserves, and would allow me to rationalize the crazy amount I spent on 750ml of brown water.

That's why I value blind, side-by-side reviews when it comes to these pricey bottles. The mind can't be trusted in some cases. (At least my mind can't!)

Edited by starhopper

Sounds like bourbon and women are pretty similar then. The more you spend on them, the more you enjoy them.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:59 AM, b1gcountry said:

Sounds like bourbon and women are pretty similar then. The more you spend on them, the more you enjoy them.

Might (and I emphasize might!) be a good policy when dealing with, umm, "professionals" (assuming one were into that sort of thing of course...) but hasn't really worked out that way in my experience.

Bat guano crazy is still bat guano crazy, no matter how much you spend! :o

Might (and I emphasize might!) be a good policy when dealing with, umm, "professionals" (assuming one were into that sort of thing of course...) but hasn't really worked out that way in my experience.

Bat guano crazy is still bat guano crazy, no matter how much you spend! [emoji33]

Very true. I managed to have enough sense to marry a very sane, practical, and lovely woman.

Still, the more flowers/dinners/presents I get her, the more she knows I'm thinking about her. The more enjoyment I get from our time together.

With my wife at least, the amount I spend in the flowers/dinner/presents is less important than the fact that I'm thinking about her.

• 4 weeks later...

I had been passing on 2 bottles and planned to buy one after Labor Day if they were still there. Went to the store that had them and they were gone. The bottles have been sitting there for a month and a half. Someone finally pulled the trigger. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.