BOTM 3/16: Weller 12 Year

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

same here, haven't seen any of it at all this year.  wonder if they are saving it up for something else?

On 7/1/2016 at 8:15 PM, CohibaJoe said:

BINGO....

Do I get a prize?  Maybe a bottle of Weller 12?

Gentry is a relative new entry in the market; have you considered doing a bourbon of the month on it? I did get to take a small taste of it, and found it to be really good. 

Do I get a prize?  Maybe a bottle of Weller 12?

Haven't seen any here in San Antonio yet[emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I received three bottles of Weller 12 year this week. I put two on the self at .30 cents over the minimum shelf price for Michigan (Our usual mark up) and it sold the same day.

As for the third bottle, it will be going home with me:)

8 hours ago, whiskey buyer said:

I received three bottles of Weller 12 year this week. I put two on the self at .30 cents over the minimum shelf price for Michigan (Our usual mark up) and it sold the same day.

It's good to know that W12 is back in the state.

On 8/21/2016 at 8:02 AM, whiskey buyer said:

Well done on both accounts.

I am sipping a glass of W. L. Weller 12 year, even as I am writing this. I can't give you all the nuances of the taste, if asked I would say it taste like bourbon, a very enjoyable bourbon. I regret that I have but one bottle to enjoy.

1 hour ago, whiskey buyer said:

I am sipping a glass of W. L. Weller 12 year, even as I am writing this. I can't give you all the nuances of the taste, if asked I would say it taste like bourbon, a very enjoyable bourbon. I regret that I have but one bottle to enjoy.

Many, many folx wish they had one bottle of W-12 to enjoy, my friend.

Although not always widely distributed, it has become as rare as hen's teeth in recent years.

AND, count your blessings that is now available in The Mitten State.    It never had been until only about a year ago. 

Many here will mention the "Straight Bourbon Blend" (SB Blend), which is Weller 12-Year mingled with Old Weller Antique, in anywhere from a 50-50 ratio up to about 70-30 in favor of the OWA.    Some claim it's close to a poor man's sample of Pappy 15.    Personally, I favor 60-40 in favor of OWA.     It's a very nice pour, and one of my 'go to' quality drinks.    If you want to experiment with it, take a couple ounces of the W-12, mingle it with about 2.5 ounces of OWA, let it sit in a small capped bottle for a week or so, then enjoy.    See what you think about it for yourself.

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Many, many folx wish they had one bottle of W-12 to enjoy, my friend.

Although not always widely distributed, it has become as rare as hen's teeth in recent years.

AND, count your blessings that is now available in The Mitten State.    It never had been until only about a year ago. 

Many here will mention the "Straight Bourbon Blend" (SB Blend), which is Weller 12-Year mingled with Old Weller Antique, in anywhere from a 50-50 ratio up to about 70-30 in favor of the OWA.    Some claim it's close to a poor man's sample of Pappy 15.    Personally, I favor 60-40 in favor of OWA.     It's a very nice pour, and one of my 'go to' quality drinks.    If you want to experiment with it, take a couple ounces of the W-12, mingle it with about 2.5 ounces of OWA, let it sit in a small capped bottle for a week or so, then enjoy.    See what you think about it for yourself.

As a quick reminder, though certain bloggers and other Johnny come latelys refer to this blend as Poor Man's Pappy, the original intent of the blend was to replicate the now defunct Weller Centennial which was a 10yr old 100 proof wheater. RIP.

Has anyone done a SBS with SB Blend and Weller Centennial?  Curious how similar they really are.  I've never had the Centennial but to me the SB Blend is a waste of Weller 12 as I vastly prefer the latter to the former.  As the Wellers become harder to find even in TX I don't even bother making SB Blend anymore.

Edited by dcbt
typo

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

Has anyone done a SBS with SB Blend and Weller Centennial?  Curious how similar they really are.  I've never had the Centennial but to me the SB Blend is a waste of Weller 12 as I vastly prefer the latter to the former.  As the Wellers become harder to find even in TX I don't even bother making SB Blend anymore.

Thats what I was wondering. I've never tasted Weller Centennial myself, but have tasted the SB blend. Does it really compare?

My taste buds prefer them separate and not blended either.

I am hard pressed to think of anything, other than a piece of ice, that I would put in my Weller 12.

For those of you that might want some of our thoughts and tasting notes on Weller Centennial, you might want to take a look at the old Centennial BOTM thread.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/13985-botm-810-weller-centennial/?page=1

IMHO, the SB Blend is great, and compares favorably to Centennial. But there ain't nothing like the real thing. ;) FWIW, I never noticed too much of a difference between the Louisville and Frankfort bottlings. I remember the flavor being a caramel (pecan) nuttiness that was great. Other folks have mentioned butterscotch, vanilla, and even a cherry flavor too.

Cheers! Joe

I open up the bottle of W12 I got this year from a VABC store as I settled in to watch the Nats game.   I have to admit the W12 is excellent even though the game is just good.   What an amazing bourbon at $30.    Wish I could have bought more than 1 bottle.  Far and away the best value of all the unicorns I have had the pleasure of trying.    If you find one, buy it, you will not regret.    

It is indeed sad that Weller 12 is now a "unicorn" to many, especially the newer bourbon fans. I can remember giving away bottles to people as a great, and readily available for maybe $22-$24 at most, "starter" bourbon. That was maybe 5 years ago at most. <_<

These days $30 is a pretty good price!

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It is indeed sad that Weller 12 is now a "unicorn" to many, especially the newer bourbon fans. I can remember giving away bottles to people as a great, and readily available for maybe $22-$24 at most, "starter" bourbon. That was maybe 5 years ago at most. <_<

These days $30 is a pretty good price!

State of Oregon just got 44 cases (12 bottles/case) 25 August 2016 -- after a little phone work, managed to bring a bottle home! OLCC price per bottle, $28.95.

Edited by Queball
Add price info

15 minutes ago, Queball said:

State of Oregon just got 44 cases (12 bottles/case) 25 August 2016 -- after a little phone work, managed to bring a bottle home! OLCC price per bottle, $28.95.

Good for you Q-Ball!     It's not quite what it once was; but still a pour worth around $30, for sure.

23 hours ago, Queball said:

Oh boy!  Now I can do a SBS tasting with my WLW, maybe . . . . . . . . .   :rolleyes: 

5 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Oh boy!  Now I can do a SBS tasting with my WLW, maybe . . . . . . . . .   :rolleyes: 

Well, it'll be a bit of drive to get out here from New England -- but hey, it might be worth it!

10 hours ago, Queball said:

Well, it'll be a bit of drive to get out here from New England -- but hey, it might be worth it!

Aw poop - I was just out there 8/18-24 for my 50th high school reunion in Corvallis.  Musta' just missed the delivery at the local "green front dairy", eh?   :(

• 1 month later...

For my first time trying Weller 12 year, I'm getting a strong nutty tobacco taste. As an ex smoker, maybe I'm tasting in this bottle what I want to be somking. Such a great bottle.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Three quarks said:

I really appreciate that Spec's (in TX) sells this at retail when available ($49.99 per 1.75L). They could easily charge more, but they don't. Plus, you save 5% if you pay in cash. But you need to get a Spec's "key card" for allocated products.

Can you please let us all know where we can get Weller 12 in West Virginia? I'll be travelling there later this month and I'd like to pick up a bottle. 

• 1 month later...

Lucked out this year. Went to 3 different stores in the Dallas area a few months ago and each of them had Weller 12. Picked up a 750 and a 1.75. There was more to be had but wanted to leave some for others. I should have grabbed some more, but either way this is a great pour. 

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.