What I learned from quitting drinking for a month

Tony Santana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Why I did it  My wife wanted to try a diet, I wanted to be supportive, and let's face it, dropping some poundage wouldn't hurt me at all.

Disclaimer  OK, I cheated twice.  A couple of drinks at a social function about a week in, and many drinks at the Distill America event (hey, I'd already committed to it before the diet) two weeks in.

What I learned  The big takeaway - I guess I verified I'm not an alcoholic, because it wasn't difficult at all.  Which isn't too say I didn't miss having a drink on occasion, but I really didn't mind it.  Beyond that, it's hard to separate the positive effect of not drinking from the rest of the dietary restrictions (I dropped almost 20 pounds), but in general I feel like I have more energy.  Don't know about other indicators like blood sugar, liver fats, whatever, but I assume those measurable would be better if I had actually measured them.

Will the experience change me at all  Well, I'm not going to quit drinking, but I suspect I'm going to cut back.  And as the end of the month got closer, I started thinking more about some of the topics that have been discussed on these boards lately - the chase for limited editions, bunker collections, etc.  Upon reflection I think I need to slow or maybe even stop my purchasing.  Between BTAC's, VW's, 4R LE's, OFBB's, etc., open and unopened, not to mention plenty of other great selections, I could drink for years on my stash without buying anything.  If a nice bottle drops into my lap, I'll still pick it up, but I think I might be done chasing.

We shall see.

Tony I went through something similar (dropped 40 lbs) and think I'll stick with the program.  Curtailing drinking whisky was surprisingly easy when my perspective changed.  My daily 3 mile walk burns off only about 300 calories so when I look at two fingers of whisky my first thought is, I'll have to walk two miles to burn off those calories.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to a modified version of the program.  I like that my clothes fit better.

Great post, Tony!

Working offshore, I kick alcohol every 10 weeks, for 35 days at a time, with no sensible way to cheat.

I don't drop 20lbs every time I do though! - So congratulations on that!

One's own particular balance is a wonderful thing to find. We're in this to feel better, not worse.

A few years ago I gave up both coffee and alcohol for a month. Coffee was WAY harder to give up than whiskey. I'll occasionally go a few weeks at a time without alcohol and I always find that I lose weight, but never 20 (or 40!!) pounds!  I think my best was about 10 and that was for a litle more than a month when I was purposely trying to lose some weight so I could fit into a suit for a wedding (didn't want to have to buy a new suit... that would mean less money for whiskey).

I gave up drinking for the most part in January as part of a one month weight loss challenge with some family members.  Wasn't hard at all, lost 15 lbs., and now I'm back to my daily nip and easily maintaining my new weight.

I'm currently 9 days into a 30 day period of no alcohol. I wanted to lose some weight as well. It has been easy so far, so that's a positive sign. I do feel better and have started to lose a few pounds.

I've realized some of the same things. I will be able to easily cut back in the future and maybe I don't need so many bottles. When I do get back to drinking at the end of the month, I will make it a point to drink down the open bottles and only buy what I really need from here on out. I think a system of only buying a new bottle for every two bottles killed will work for a while. 

I applaud all your efforts at improving your health.

I've recently tried to get back into a more consistent workout pattern/healthier eating. (I have a thyroid condition that I'm on medication for, so maintaining a healthy weight is a challenge to begin with).

I've been considering to cutting back to just a pour or two one night a week, and hearing your stories, think I'll try it for a month or two. I've got a wedding to attend myself in November.

Way to go Tony... I like the third paragraph, you realized you weren't an alcoholic... I wonder this a lot, and I always say the same , I'm going to quit for awhile, but my awhile is a few days or so,  I just like having a drink or two. The other question is do you guys think that your weight problem is coming from the whisky?

My problem is my profession, I think it demands that I have a drink or two, sometimes working from your home can be rough, I have to get up and try to think of what to make for the day, whisky helps a little, I know it's a crutch and I could get along without it, I have already done so in the past.

I really think the main problem is this dam climate we choose to live in and hibernate for 5-6 months out of the year. But then on the other hand like yesterday I was sitting out in the sun and enjoying the day, and wanted a nip next to me, but I abstained. Been dry for 3 days now, I think that's long enough.....

I can't speak for anyone else, but my weight loss is definitely not wholly attributable to whiskey cessation.  I also gave up dairy, gluten, ate more fruits and veggies, etc.  and was more diligent about exercise. I figure if I mostly keep up with that plan and reintroduce the bourbon and limited amounts of the other things I swore off, I should continue to shed pounds, albeit at a much slower rate. 

I will mention two other benefits I noticed, and don't doubt they're related to the booze as well. Better sleep and less indigestion. 

4 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

...I will mention two other benefits I noticed, and don't doubt they're related to the booze as well. Better sleep... 

That's why I've cut way back.  Sure, sip a few and sleep 10 hours, but it's not good restful, and mind not quite as sharp the next day.  

Wow, weight watchers SB-style.  I am 5 days into an 11 day diet that allows no alcohol.  Dropped 8 pounds - including the two prep days.  But all these diets come to an end.  While I never drank more than a couple of pours during the week and only a bit more on weekends, I guess it all adds up.  I used to exercise five days a week, then four, now two.  As I am closer to 60 than 50, I figure the more I exercise, the more I can indulge in a glass or two, so I have the proper incentive structure in place.  As for the limiteds, if one falls in my lap I won't say no, but I am happy with what I can find on the shelves.

My health got pretty bad so I quit drinking for 9 months and my health got better and I put on some good healthy weight.

I havent had a drink yet this year, I have a 3 month plan thats seen me lose 25lbs from diet and exercise 7 days a week, the choice was to either have a six pack or six packs, I decided on the six pack!

Still buying liquor regularly though for the inevitable return, but I dont see myself drinking nearly as much when I do start again.

I find all of this weight talk interesting.  I am 42 years old, and despite drinking plenty of bourbon over the past few years, I have kept my weight relatively static and healthy (and 10 pounds lighter than my weight several years ago).  I have genuinely come to the conclusion that bourbon in and of itself does not cause me to gain weight.  I have recently put on a few pounds, and well, it could be from drinking whiskey, could be from butter pecan ice cream for dessert, could be from hamburgers for lunch, could be from a long winter inside, etc.  Related to whiskey though, I have recently been drinking more scotch, and who the heck knows, maybe that has contributed to a weight gain.

Bottom line though, I don't notice any huge detriment to drinking bourbon and other whiskey in moderation.  But more power to you if you need to cut down and it improves your health.

18 hours ago, El Vino said:

While I never drank more than a couple of pours during the week and only a bit more on weekends, I guess it all adds up.  I used to exercise five days a week, then four, now two.  As I am closer to 60 than 50, I figure the more I exercise, the more I can indulge in a glass or two, so I have the proper incentive structure in place.  As for the limiteds, if one falls in my lap I won't say no, but I am happy with what I can find on the shelves.

I'm in a similar place consumption wise, but can go weeks where a week day pour doesn't happen.  Being closer to 50 than 40, I still exercise most days - I try to do a light 2.2mi run Mon-Fri, and spend a fair portion of time in the garden or running around with chores on the weekends.  It helps keep the weight off, but what doesn't help is my enjoyment of bourbon based cocktails and mixers.  Simple syrup and carbonated mixers are a killer for calories and whilst I know I should avoid them, they work so much better on our hot summer weather here in Australia than straight bourbon does....

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎48‎:‎11‎, The Black Tot said:

"We're in this to feel better, not worse."

A wonderful way to put it, and a perfect line on which to base your personal balancing point.

You guys are making me feel like I really have a drinking problem.  I have never had a weight problem so that is not an issue, at 59 years old I am 6' 155 lbs and never weighed more than about 170.  I drink some every night, I usually have a glass of wine when I get home from work and sometime before bed I will have a 2 or 3 ounce pour of bourbon.

Haven't really noticed any ill affects but beginning to wonder if that is too often or too much.

45 minutes ago, Thig said:

You guys are making me feel like I really have a drinking problem.  I have never had a weight problem so that is not an issue, at 59 years old I am 6' 155 lbs and never weighed more than about 170.  I drink some every night, I usually have a glass of wine when I get home from work and sometime before bed I will have a 2 or 3 ounce pour of bourbon.

Haven't really noticed any ill affects but beginning to wonder if that is too often or too much.

If it feels good... DO IT!    If it's working for you (and it seems to be doing that) then; Why change?

I'm a bit envious, as I really can't consume much hard liquor on consecutive days, at least not more than two or three days in a row, without feeling fairly crummy.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎00‎:‎19‎, camduncan said:

I'm in a similar place consumption wise, but can go weeks where a week day pour doesn't happen.  Being closer to 50 than 40, I still exercise most days - I try to do a light 2.2mi run Mon-Fri, and spend a fair portion of time in the garden or running around with chores on the weekends.  It helps keep the weight off, but what doesn't help is my enjoyment of bourbon based cocktails and mixers.  Simple syrup and carbonated mixers are a killer for calories and whilst I know I should avoid them, they work so much better on our hot summer weather here in Australia than straight bourbon does....

I am closer to 50 than 60.  I average about 10-15 miles running each week during the winter and 25-30 each week during the spring, summer and fall.  I am a soccer referee.  I use my physical activity as motivation to eat and drink what I want in moderation.  I tell my friends that I run so that I can eat.  During training and in season, I try not to over do the cheeseburgers and bourbon, but I don't feel as guilty when I have fries or an extra pour.  If the parents and players complain more than usual, I might have an extra pour when I get home just because...

I do believe that abstinence from alcohol, soda, sugar, refined grains, etc. whether  a week, two weeks or a month is probably a good idea from a body cleanse standpoint.

I quit this year for 6 weeks for two reasons: lose some weight...and see where I was at with the relationship. Not that I'm a big drinker to begin with -- mostly on the weekends while watching sports -- but since every calorie counts, I cut it out completely. I thought it might be hard since drinking the different bourbons I have on hand is something I looked forward to on the weekends. But that's exactly what I wanted to evaluate--how much was I looking forward to drinking? 

A better diet combined  with consistent time on the elliptical, I'm down about 10 pounds. And in terms of where I stand with the relationship? I think we're going to make it. 

Calories aren't much of an issue for me, my weight hasn't changed since I was 17, but I do get bad stomach acid if I drink too often. I generally take a 2 or 1 day break after every couple of pours. But I commend you all for actively being healthier, this is something my mom is doing right now, I've never seen her more happy.

This has been an interesting discussion.  I think most, if not all, of us who enjoy the occasional drink sometimes wonder if we are drinking too much and if we have become dependent on our daily dram.  I've decided to conduct a little test myself, and I'm now on day 5 of no alcohol consumed.  So far, I'm doing fine with no "urges" to pour a drink and no difficulties sleeping, etc.  Actually, I feel pretty good.  Don't know if I will go 30 days or not, but it is nice to know that I can control my bourbon consumption, rather than the bourbon controlling me.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎13‎:‎56‎, SebastianLloyd said:

Calories aren't much of an issue for me, my weight hasn't changed since I was 17...

What are you now? Like 18?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.