Jack Daniels Single Barrel Rye

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This just showed up in Virginia so I picked one up even though I'm not a huge Rye guy.  70% Rye mashbill, 4 years old 94 proof.  This surprised me a little because I wasn't a big fan of the rested rye from a couple years ago.  That had tons of banana in it and this has none.  It's nice and spicy with a hint of cherries.  Some nice oak and a tiny bit of vanilla.  Good long finish with a little kick to it.  No Dill pickle or mint to be found (which is one reason I don't like many ryes).  Very enjoyable

5 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

This just showed up in Virginia so I picked one up even though I'm not a huge Rye guy.  70% Rye mashbill, 4 years old 94 proof.  This surprised me a little because I wasn't a big fan of the rested rye from a couple years ago.  That had tons of banana in it and this has none.  It's nice and spicy with a hint of cherries.  Some nice oak and a tiny bit of vanilla.  Good long finish with a little kick to it.  No Dill pickle or mint to be found (which is one reason I don't like many ryes).  Very enjoyable

I take away much the same from this whiskey.  Had a couple of pours, and also noticed immediately the lack of banana as compared to earlier versions.  Big kick on the finish, particularly.  I loved that.  Ryes should smack you around, a bit.   I look forward to getting my own bottle soon, and spending more time with it.  At this point, I think Daniel's is on a good track with their rye.  

I had a taste of this recently, but it was at the end of a long 3 hours of tasting (i.e., my last booth visit in WDC's WhiskyFest).  Hence, I didn't trust my judgment.  Like some of their other "above 80 proof" offerings, I'm pretty sure I was surprised and liked it.

On 3/11/2016, 8:39:34, smokinjoe said:

I take away much the same from this whiskey.  Had a couple of pours, and also noticed immediately the lack of banana as compared to earlier versions.  Big kick on the finish, particularly.  I loved that.  Ryes should smack you around, a bit.   I look forward to getting my own bottle soon, and spending more time with it.  At this point, I think Daniel's is on a good track with their rye.  

So now that is 2 people confirming no banana.  I may have to give this one a try. Thanks guys.

Edited by meadeweber

On March 14, 2016 at 12:31:53 PM, meadeweber said:

So now that is 2 people confirming no banana.  I may have to give this one a try. Thanks guys.

Like we've touched on earlier, the banana note is in the palate of the beholder...:D  I have the 'naner gene, but where the unaged version screamed banana, this older version had none upon first unassuming taste. When I went looking for it on subsequent sips I could glean it out.  But , not without effort.

• 4 months later...

I had 2 glasses of a bottle that was opened just last night.  Banana was definitely present.  It was very enjoyable however the typical Rye Flavors were slightly muted and it was very soft even when enjoyed neat.  I believe this will improve with some air.   Bottom line, it was very enjoyable and is a solid offering but, imho there are better expressions of rye especially considering the price point. ($50 here).  

Yes it taste like banana. But not really as much as, in my opinion, as Rittenhouse does...which I think tastes just like banana pudding. JD SB rye also has a bit of the rye bubblegum that you tend to get in young low corn rye.  So yeah, it basically taste like banana bubblegum. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds, I just don't think it's a really good value at its price. If it was $25 then I'd pick one up once or so a year like I do with Rittenhouse. 

But really, I'm just glad Jack Daniel's is offering something I'm willing to buy at least once. 

Here it is posing in a family photo next its much better older cousin. Now this JD SB BP is a whiskey I'll keep buying.  

0428162101.jpg

Damn, now people are saying that it does have the banana taste when the initial reports said no banana.  

I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on one.  I was tempted to a couple times.

Well like I said, I think it has less banana than Rittenhouse. So if you can tolerate that, then JD rye may be worth trying. Or find and try it in a good whiskey bar first. 

I don't seem to have the "banana gene" so I don't often notice it. But even I could find the banana in early unaged and especially the "rested" 2ish yo JD rye releases. This latest 4ish yo JD rye seems to have tamed the banana a bit but it is probably still there even though I don't tend to pick it up.

• 3 years later...

I came across this today at a decent price of $40. Has the profile changed since 2016, what does the peanut gallery make of this one?

I’m not aware of any profile changes, but I like the bottle that I have. I think I bought it for less than $40, but that was over a year ago. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.