What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Spring/Summer 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No better way to start a new season than with a pour from a creation from the great John Glaser and Compass Box.  2012 Flaming Heart.  

This is on my list.  I cleared some shelf space for two from Compass Box.

Kavalan Soloist Sherry Cask. Guy on my team at the office had a trip through Taiwan and picked me up a bottle. Really nice stuff and hard to believe its age. Reminds me a lot of Heaven Hill SS #2, sherry finished vs cognac but they're definitely flavor cousins. Delicious pour.

10 hours ago, ramblinman said:

Kavalan Soloist Sherry Cask. Guy on my team at the office had a trip through Taiwan and picked me up a bottle. Really nice stuff and hard to believe its age. Reminds me a lot of Heaven Hill SS #2, sherry finished vs cognac but they're definitely flavor cousins. Delicious pour.

I have a bottle in my bunker from last year

Last night while grilling, I poured a Glenfraclas 105 but I wanted EVEN MORE sherry flavor, so I added a little cask strength Amrut Intermediate Sherry.  Yeah, that did the trick.  Added an ice cube as well to bring down the proof and cool it.  Delicious stuff.

22 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Last night while grilling, I poured a Glenfraclas 105 but I wanted EVEN MORE sherry flavor, so I added a little cask strength Amrut Intermediate Sherry.  Yeah, that did the trick.  Added an ice cube as well to bring down the proof and cool it.  Delicious stuff.

Is the Amrut a Sherry bomb?

22 hours ago, meadeweber said:

I have a bottle as well that I just can't bring myself to open yet.

Same here

4 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Is the Amrut a Sherry bomb?

Huge Sherry influence.  Some might consider it overdone.  I think it's great.  The nose is amazing.

Edited by meadeweber

Went through a number of Compass Box bottlings at the GBS/Dekalb Bottle House dinner with John Glaser last evening.  The surprise for me was the Oak Cross, which I never really got into my lone bottle I had a couple of years ago.  Last night it really sparkled.  The Spice tree was also very nice.  Loved the wood influence which gave it a bourbon-like undertone. 

Crack those Kavalans open gentlemen, it was all I could do not to open it up when he gave it to me at 9AM :).

Aberlour A'bunadh batch 49.  With good riends by the fire.  Cuban Cigars.  Killed the bottle.  Cold night in NJ, but can't think of a better way to end the weekend.

Saturday evening I was bored enough to voluntarily go out on a Saturday evening (although I started early enough that at least I didn't have to fight my way to a seat). Spotted a Bushmills 12yo Single Malt Distillery Reserve peeking out from under the bar which is a Bushmills Distillery only bottle as far as I know (turns out the bar manager had recently brought it back from Ireland so mystery solved). Fortunately I know the right people so I managed to get a little taste of that one. Very nice malt and a cut above the standard 10 but unfortunately Bushmills tends to water pretty much everything down to 80 proof so that hurt it in my opinion. Just a little too thin for me.

Couple pours of Famous Grouse 18 yr. 

this is such a great blend. Too bad it was discontinued. I love it!!!!

Kicking off Friday Happy Hour with a CB Hedonism.  Eying the Spice Tree next...:)

I'm about half way through a bottle of Green Spot. It's much lighter than I would have guessed for a pot still whiskey, flavorful but really thin. I like it well enough but there's no reason to get another when Redbreast 12 beats it in every way.

Edit: I should probably clarify that I haven't gone through half the bottle tonight, it's been open a few weeks :)

Edited by Tucker

I found the Compass Box Great King Street again, it's a nice summer expression.  I still haven't had the traffic cone.

I'm about half way through a bottle of Green Spot. It's much lighter than I would have guessed for a pot still whiskey, flavorful but really thin. I like it well enough but there's no reason to get another when Redbreast 12 beats it in every way.

Edit: I should probably clarify that I haven't gone through half the bottle tonight, it's been open a few weeks [emoji4]

My thoughts exactly. I have more of an affection for the Yellow Spot but I haven't bought a second Green Spot in many years.

Opened up a bottle of cask strength Laphroig, and had some Black Grouse at the office earlier today, I've really become a peated whiskey fan.

Enjoyed some HP 18 and Macallan CS last night, after doing a blind SBS of The General, NALW, and a 50/50 mingle of the two.  I was surprised to find I preferred the mingle, and definitely want to revisit that again in the future (assuming on any given night, who knows what can happen!)

CB Peat Monster Reserve with a '64 Padron on this near perfect Georgia evening

Capping off a dang fine weekend with a Glenmorangie Burgundy Finish.  

image.jpg

Edited by smokinjoe

A pour of Springbank 12 CS last night.  A very quality and complex whisky.  I'm looking forward to spending more time with this one.

Something about a cool and breezy Georgia night said "patio,cigar,and Ardbeg"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.