What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Spring/Summer 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In between rums lately I have been sampling a bit of a Cadenhead bottling of Bruichladdich 22yo Cask Strength (53.3%) from bourbon casks that picked up on my own little journey across Scotland last fall. Little to no peat in this one as is the usually the case with Laddie's. Really rich with a lot of fruit and caramel as the prominent notes on both the nose and palate to me.

About halfway through a bottle of AnCnoc 16 and it is really good. One of those understated drams that improves and improves. Gonna hunt down some more!

Cheers all!

A bit of This Is Not A Luxury Whisky followed by a Signatory Mortlach from K&L while catching up on season two of Bosch.

Lagavulin 8 year.  Great dram so far.  It's a more "naked" rendition of Laga 12, which I love.  Lots of hershey's chocolate, saline, ashy peat, and some slight minerality on the finish.  Perfect.  Young but not immature.  Glad I picked up the second, and I might pick up a third.

Still a bit stuffy, but couldn't hold off pouring some recent acquisitions on Thursday.  

Started with the Aultmore 15yr (from The Single Malts of Scotland, NCF, cask strength 51.3%).  Definitely enjoying this one - rich and creamy mouthfeel with honey stewed fruits.  While not "high" proof, it drinks to me like it is lower.  Very happy with it, and look forward to a more proper introduction!  

Moved to the Port Dundas 25yr (from the Sovereign, NCF, cask strength 51.9%).  As a single grain, I expected it to be lighter and more delicate (although I was hoping the extra aging might help give it a bit more oomph).  While not offensive in any way, it is a bit more delicate/subtle than I would have liked - but perhaps not being stuffy will change that perspective.  

It may be a while before I can find out - yesterday my shoulder started acting up, and the meds prohibit drinking (and the wife has already gave me that "If you sit here in pain all weekend just so you can enjoy some whiskey, you stupid stubborn sonofa . . . " look).  Hopefully next week will bring better fortune (and thankfully, it will keep!)

Having a pretty massive Sky Club pour of Macallan 15 while waiting for my connection to Glasgow.

10 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Having a pretty massive Sky Club pour of Macallan 15 while waiting for my connection to Glasgow.

Have a great time!  

I had a lovely dram of these two stellar beauties last night at the pub across the street....which just happens to be the famous Highlander Inn. The drive up to Speyside from Glasgow about killed me, my wife's nerves, and our rental car but it has been glorious since we got here.

Image1465831502.254191.jpg.41fa5f78b670aImage1465831512.774528.jpg.320d5732fea64

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touring today included Balvenie and Glenfiddich today. There were ten measures between the two (only Balvenie's would I actually call dram size pours) but it was their normal ranges. The one exception was the "members" dram for Balvenie Warehouse 24 members on the tour. We picked a 34 year only first fill sherry cask for our drams that came out around 48% abv and it was spectacular.

49 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Touring today included Balvenie and Glenfiddich today. There were ten measures between the two (only Balvenie's would I actually call dram size pours) but it was their normal ranges. The one exception was the "members" dram for Balvenie Warehouse 24 members on the tour. We picked a 34 year only first fill sherry cask for our drams that came out around 48% abv and it was spectacular.

Damn, 34yo is a lot older than what they had in Warehouse 24 when we were there last fall! It was maybe 20's at best.

Come to think of it, it was well less than 20 years as I recall. Maybe early teens. This was the one they bottled for you?

Come to think of it, it was well less than 20 years as I recall. Maybe early teens. This was the one they bottled for you?

Nope. We picked from three to self bottle in Warehouse 24. I picked the 13 yr first fill sherry cask, my wife got the 13 yr refill bourbon cask, and there was also a 14 yr first fill bourbon cask.

The 34 yr was for Warehouse 24 club members. It's free to join on their website and when you do a tour members get to choose from one of two casks to pull a dram from. One was a 42 year old bourbon cask that was damn near empty. The only members on our tour were me and three local fellas and we were all sherry heads so we went with the 34 yr sherry cask.

Last nights drams at The Quaich Bar.

Image1465892463.606995.jpgImage1465892473.342833.jpgImage1465892482.611100.jpg

That private section Craigellachie for the hotel was fantastic!

8 hours ago, BigRich said:

Nope. We picked from three to self bottle in Warehouse 24. I picked the 13 yr first fill sherry cask, my wife got the 13 yr refill bourbon cask, and there was also a 14 yr first fill bourbon cask.

The 34 yr was for Warehouse 24 club members. It's free to join on their website and when you do a tour members get to choose from one of two casks to pull a dram from. One was a 42 year old bourbon cask that was damn near empty. The only members on our tour were me and three local fellas and we were all sherry heads so we went with the 34 yr sherry cask.

Yes, we tried the members cask as well but I didn't remember the member bottling that we got to try being that old. Perhaps it was! The ones we got were likely similar to the ones you did. Mine was a 12yo first fill sherry at 125.4 or there about. I think Jat got one of the Bourbon cask bottlings.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Tours of Aberlour and Macallan today. With some great distillery only drams from Aberlour and some Macallan bottlings that don't make it across the pond.

Tonight's drams were a bit of a theme...Image1465933450.459204.jpg.a9ce58343b2e4Image1465933463.585481.jpg.c6f8d41cb1a7bImage1465933473.457498.jpg.da593eed5272a

Met a buddy at Jack Rose tonight for dinner and  couple drams.  Ended up having a Springbank Local Barley 16 yr and a SMWS 33.143 (8yr sherry cask Ardbeg).  The Springbank Local Barley was the first disappointing Springbank I've ever had.  It's fine, but does not make sense for the price.  In terms of pure bourbon cask Springbank, I preferred the Green 12 year.  It was more spirit driven (not immature), but I prefer that with bourbon cask Springbank.  Could have just been my palate tonight, but the Local Barley was a bit harsh for the fairly low cask strength.

The Ardbeg, on the other hand, was outstanding, though the sherry cask was pretty active.  Lots of bacony goodness and fruit leather in the nose, with the palate walloping you with ashy Ardbeg spirit and red fruits.

My friend ordered a Springbank 15 Oloroso sherry cask and a teenage Signatory Glen Scotia sherry cask of indeterminate age.   I had a sip of both, and both were very good.  I can see why Glen Scotia maybe isn't the most beloved spirit, but this particular cask was really good.  Like a brackish, fishier, more herbal Bunnahabhain. 

Started with some 2012 Flaming Heart before taking a short pour of The General as I'm watching the 1926 movie which inspired it's name (wasn't sure I could sit through a silent movie, but it hooked me with the start in Marietta, GA!)  

Yesterday's distillery touring took us to Glendronach and Strathisla so when I made it back to the Quaich Bar last night I had these lovelies.

Image1466069068.354598.jpg.3e320264d4363Image1466069080.221244.jpg.d875aece2d1ef

18 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Yesterday's distillery touring took us to Glendronach and Strathisla so when I made it back to the Quaich Bar last night I had these lovelies.

Image1466069068.354598.jpgImage1466069080.221244.jpg

Wow . . . so what does 40+ yr old Strathisla taste like?  Are there words?

Wow . . . so what does 40+ yr old Strathisla taste like?  Are there words?

Mouthgasm is the closest I can find. It was stellar. I've loved older Strathisla for a long time but very little makes it to the states. These old G&M bottles always make me go gaga. I've never plunked the coin for one so when I saw it on a pour list I had to try it.

Many interesting pours Saturday night at the GBS Intl Whisky Night but a 31yo 1978 Longmorn from what appears to be a relatively new independent bottler was certainly one of the highlights. Once the party got rolling I didn't manage to get any pictures so this is a link to the same bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.