AD Laws Bourbon

Jacket
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I couldn't find a thread on this Colorado bourbon on SB.com, so I thought I'd start one up and see what the national perception (if any) is on this newish juice.  It's getting noticed more and more around Denver/Boulder, and stores are doing specialty bottlings and cask.  I've enjoyed some of the 4 grain bourbon, which is their flagship, and they're bottling a rye as well.  I don't know much about the rye, but the bourbon is being distilled, barreled and aged on site.  It's young, but I see a lot of upside with this distillery and their process.  I was in Argonauts earlier this week and they have a barrel proof offering from these guys for around $65 if memory serves.

But really what got me thinking about Laws again this week was because I saw this bottle last night at a tavern I visited:

Bottled in Bond release:

http://www.lawswhiskeyhouse.com/events/

Only available at their distillery for a few more weeks.  $90 is steep, but another interesting delivery for these guys.  Anyone else tried the BiB?

Haven't seen or heard of this one. Do they give the grain and percentages, and what size barrels they use?

They are pretty transparent about their process, and you can take tours of the facility for even more detail.  For the  bourbon, it's 60/20/10/10, with 20% wheat and 10% rye.  Makes for an interesting marriage of both the flavoring grains.  The barrels are 53 gallon #3 char.

Most of you know the Stranahans brand, and the master distiller at Laws (Jake Norris) was one of the co-founders of Stranahans.  Stranahans was born from the Flying Dog brewery mash, but grew and got sold to greener pastures.  The Laws bourbon is more traditional (from a bourbon sense) and for me has a much better flavor profile (albeit young) than Stranahans.  You can that Laws is influencing the Denver market more so than any other craft whiskey, with a bigger presence on the shelves, barrel selects, and tastings around town.  Like most things bourbon, it just needs a bit more time....

Given the new release of the BiB, obviously they are hitting a 4 year milestone with some barrels which is pretty exciting.  I'm anxious to see what 2-3 more years will do - certainly to help justify the higher price point of this young bourbon.

Direct link to BiB announcement:

http://www.lawswhiskeyhouse.com/event/exclusive-bottled-in-bond-release/

Edited by Jacket
added link

It's a bit more than I would spend.  Given they are using full size barrels and releasing a bonded bourbon is very positive.  Does that part of CO get the changes in temperature throughout the year like KY?  That will effect the aging.  

47 minutes ago, PaulO said:

It's a bit more than I would spend.  Given they are using full size barrels and releasing a bonded bourbon is very positive.  Does that part of CO get the changes in temperature throughout the year like KY?  That will effect the aging.  

It does get the temperature changes, but it's very dry there so some form of climate control has to used (I'm guessing) to prevent too much evaporation. 

33 minutes ago, flahute said:

It does get the temperature changes, but it's very dry there so some form of climate control has to used (I'm guessing) to prevent too much evaporation. 

I'm also gonna suggest that like Wyoming Whiskey, the altitude is probably a factor too.

Joe

Well what can I say?  I don't like overpaying for an inferior product.  But....these guys are doing it the right way:  distilling, aging and bottling on their own.  Not diversifying into vodkas, gins and other spirits that can be made quicker and easier.  These guys are about whiskey, which gives me a reason to support them.  And I'm a sucker from trying something new, different and local.

BiB from Colorado is kinda cool.

image.jpeg

Edited by Jacket

On 3/26/2016 at 10:14 AM, PaulO said:

Does that part of CO get the changes in temperature throughout the year like KY?  That will effect the aging.  

On 3/26/2016 at 11:04 AM, flahute said:

The year 'round temperature swings actually give Colorado an advantage in this case.  Even in the winter it can be 20* and 60* for any given day.   But like flahute says, there is definitely humidity added to the storage locations.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like these guys a ton. The bourbon is young, but really quite nice. I really like the rye. Turns out that I prefer young rye over old rye, so there's that. Maybe Fishnbowl and T_Comp will come visit, and we can give them a taste of the rye. 

6 hours ago, Lost Pollito said:

I really like these guys a ton. The bourbon is young, but really quite nice. I really like the rye. Turns out that I prefer young rye over old rye, so there's that. Maybe Fishnbowl and T_Comp will come visit, and we can give them a taste of the rye. 

Hmmmm. I just might have to stop by Joe. It's been too long. Whadaya think Thad?  Saturday sound good?  I might even bring Gary with me. ;)

41 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hmmmm. I just might have to stop by Joe. It's been too long. Whadaya think Thad?  Saturday sound good?  I might even bring Gary with me. ;)

Let's do it!

I tried their Secale Rye at a tasting last month and while I wasn't impressed enough to buy a bottle, who knows, the second time may be the charm :)

Unlike LP, I'm generally not a big fan of young ryes but I'm certainly willing to try it again!

Well we confirmed that Lost Pollito is a fan of young ryes. Us others not so much. Or of the AD Laws 4 grain bourbon. But then there were the Wasmunds :(:(:(:(. Thank the Lord a bottle of Heritage Brown Sugar Bourbon served as a gelato kind of palate  cleanser between courses. Some of us then turned to some fine Irish and Scottish malts. Fishnbowl turned to gin :lol:. His reaction to what he thought was Blaum Bros bourbon is preserved for posterity. Thanks as always to Joe M and Binnys. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 1

I'll be damned, Thad. Taking a picture with Fishnbowl and me in it didn't break the camera in your phone!

Many thanks to Joe M. for another great visit, he truly is the perfect host. I also think he's happy that there'll be more young ryes in the world for him to drink now that it's confirmed we don't care for them.

Fishnbowl taking the accidental sip of gin, thinking it was bourbon.........priceless. :D 

9 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Fishnbowl taking the accidental sip of gin, thinking it was bourbon.........priceless. :D 

Hell, I didn't even get as far as taking a sip. :o The nose on that puppy is what almost knocked me outta my chair. I was expecting something of a HH nose, like alcohol and citrus. I was hit with juniper, licorice, iodine and rotten fruit instead. :blink: Darn near made my eyes water. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

• 1 year later...

Figured I'd resurrect this thread now that the AD Laws 4G BIB is available outside of Colorado. I must say that I am beginning to really like this bourbon now that I've had several small pours over a span of several weeks. I liked it initially, but felt that it wasn't quite as good as CEHT 4G, but now that I've had a few more tastes of it, I think it's different, but compares very well against a 4G that's probably a bit older in the CEHT. I'll buy it again. 

Joe, Thad and Gary, did y'all try the BIB on the trip you made above or was it still the younger stuff?

I got my in-law in Colorado to send me a bottle of the AD Secale straight rye BIB. Priced a little high IMO. Still, not bad at all for a small outfit. I liked it wth an ice sphere more than neat. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.