What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2016

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice, Paddy. KC rye was with me through an evening with the Starks and Lannisters. Benjen! And effing Drogon! Holy crap!

Been hitting a lot of Northern Harvest lately. Stocking up this week. $28 plus satisfaction equals a whole lotta good sense.

Willett 4 Yr Rye (from 2014)  in a Manhattan with Cocchi di Torino vermouth.  Cocchi is a flavor bomb, but the Willett stands up to it well.  I decided I should move through the last of the Willett bottle this month.

I opened up my HW YKY last night to try, and had a little after lunch today. 

I love the color of this rye ( I'm sure it's from sitting in the wine barrels). When it first hits your mouth it's all rye, BUT then here comes the sweetness, but in a good way. It reminds me a lot of the Willett XCF rye. I like it for what it is, it's a very good finished rye.

I'm sure I'll have this bottle a long time not because it's not good but I don't find myself wanting finished Ryes or Bourbons very often (I've had my Willett XCF rye open for at least a year and I still have over 1/2 left). 

I don't see my self buying another bottle. But if you like finished ryes get it, it's very good. 

Pours of HW 21 and Saz 18 last night.

Important to start with the HW, other wise the Saz just overpowers the palate, but in such a good way. Beast of a whiskey.

B

Sent from my iPhone

13 hours ago, Auracom said:

Freezer Saz. Does the job.

image.jpeg

Great picture.  Maybe they should start using frosted glass bottles for baby Saz.  It looks really "cool".

Tonight I did a studied, slow, side-by-side tasting of Dickel and Bulleit ryes to see of I could find any differences.  There were slight differences in nose and taste, but if I tasted one separately I would not know which I was tasting.  So, for industrial and cocktail purposes, I can go with either one, whichever is lower cost.

Finished the last pour of a bottle of SAOS 8 year. MGP rye at this age and proof (125) is as good as just about any whiskey available. I have a few more of these in reserve and am going to disappointed when the last one is gone. 

Sitting outside our cabin in Estes Park while on vacation and enjoying a little Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye. Wonderful stuff!

WP_20160608_002.jpg

Had my first pour of the RR Single Barrel rye. No age statement but clocking in at almost 105 proof. It still hasn't shown up in any of our stores, but the bar by the office has it. I was very impressed. I'll be looking for this. Then had some KC rye. First time for this one also. Just never have gotten around to buying a bottle. I'm a fan of this one as well, but liked the RR better. At least I can buy the KC.

We've got the RRSiB available for $55. I wasn't aware of this but may grab a bottle as I'm leaning toward ryes lately and always look for something with a kick. Fair price?

18 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

We've got the RRSiB available for $55. I wasn't aware of this but may grab a bottle as I'm leaning toward ryes lately and always look for something with a kick. Fair price?

That's about the same price as their single barrel bourbon so I'd say it's fair. I'd buy one at that price. Granted, I only had one pour and one needs much more than that to truly judge a whiskey but the first impression was good enough to place it in the "will buy a bottle" category.

23 hours ago, flahute said:

That's about the same price as their single barrel bourbon so I'd say it's fair. I'd buy one at that price. Granted, I only had one pour and one needs much more than that to truly judge a whiskey but the first impression was good enough to place it in the "will buy a bottle" category.

RRSiB Rye goes for around $65 in Indy.  It is an awesome rye.  It is a toss up between it and Pikesville for me.  I really like KC Rye which can generally be found in the upper $20s to low $30s in Indy. 

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

RRSiB Rye goes for around $65 in Indy.  It is an awesome rye.  It is a toss up between it and Pikesville for me.  I really like KC Rye which can generally be found in the upper $20s to low $30s in Indy. 

Wow! That's a great price for KC. It's $47 here which is why I've never tried it until yesterday.

I went back to the same bar tonight and had more of the RRSiB rye. Really good stuff.

Found the RRSiB rye for $47. Didn't pick it up on this trip but I will. KC rye is regularly on sale here for $24. 

HW 21 last night.

Strongly eyeing the Saz 18 sitting next to it.

B

Sent from my iPhone

8 hours ago, BFerguson said:

HW 21 last night.

Strongly eyeing the Saz 18 sitting next to it.

B

Sent from my iPhone

And the Pappy next to that.....????

And the Pappy next to that.....????

Call me a heretic, but the Saz and HW are a far but better.

As Flav said, don't believe the hype.

B

Sent from my iPhone

Having pikesville 110 and a raspberry thumb print cookie. Spicy and sweet. Loving it. 

Said goodbye to a bottle of Baby Saz this afternoon so I'll to go on a hunting expedition for more this weekend.  If it's as scarce as usual around here, I'll revisit some Rittenhouse. There should always be room on the shelf for a good bottle of rye.

First rye pour in what feels like forever (so, probably a month), and opted for a SAOS 8yr.  Big spicy orange marmalade action going on . . . yummy!

On June 15, 2016 at 9:19 PM, BFerguson said:

Call me a heretic, but the Saz and HW are a far but better.

As Flav said, don't believe the hype.

B

Sent from my iPhone

I love most of the HW offerings and Saz goes without saying!!!

would take a HW 21 over any pappy myself

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.