What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2016

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since my son and his family live 400+ miles away from us and he's not a whiskey drinker, I always keep a bottle at his house for when we visit. Right now it's a Ritt DSP-1, my first one that's not a DSP-354 and I have to say it's been a hit or miss pour for me. I've been working on it for probably 8 months (we try to get out there once a month). This last Friday it was harsh and nasty, Saturday it was OK but certainly nothing to get excited about.

All is well though.......came home tonight and brought out the Ritt 23yr. Damn this is delicious!

Not a bad way to rebound......^^^^^

Had the last pour of an OS 7y 99p. Damn good!

27 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Since my son and his family live 400+ miles away from us and he's not a whiskey drinker, I always keep a bottle at his house for when we visit. Right now it's a Ritt DSP-1, my first one that's not a DSP-354 and I have to say it's been a hit or miss pour for me. I've been working on it for probably 8 months (we try to get out there once a month). This last Friday it was harsh and nasty, Saturday it was OK but certainly nothing to get excited about.

All is well though.......came home tonight and brought out the Ritt 23yr. Damn this is delicious!

Ritt 23 is definitely how you fix that situation.

Picked up a High West RR that has been finished in there Manhattan barrels for 20 months. 50% abv and this stuff is darker and richer than the HWMWND. 

A private bottling from a store near me

I just poured a glass of Willett 8 yo Rye, fantastic. My first choice was to uncorke the SAOS 9 yo cask strength, save this one for another time. 

Cheers

Finished off my bottle of Saz 18 last night, which led to me pulling out a bunch of others and tasting back and forth between them and the Saz.  Short of it...While i do love some hyper aged rye, I find i would take younger, unfiltered and barrel proof over older aged bottles.

image1.JPG

On 3/29/2016 at 5:40 PM, BonVivant84 said:

Finished off my bottle of Saz 18 last night, which led to me pulling out a bunch of others and tasting back and forth between them and the Saz.  Short of it...While i do love some hyper aged rye, I find i would take younger, unfiltered and barrel proof over older aged bottles.

image1.JPG

Wow - damn nice lineup!!  I'm with you - I'd take a younger/cask strength over a lower-proof really old rye (in most, but not all cases).  

Pouring a mingle of some Willett ryes (4yr + 25 yr, which gives me just the right balance of oak & spice!)

Was gifted a bottle of Millstone 100 Dutch Rye last year and I've only just gotten around to opening it. It's pretty good!

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Was gifted a bottle of Millstone 100 Dutch Rye last year and I've only just gotten around to opening it. It's pretty good!

It sure is very interesting whiskey.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm on my third (and final) pour and it's really growing on me!

Sippin' on some Ritten(house) - old label.  Pretty easy going for < $25 a bottle. 

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:55 PM, beasled said:

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 5:56 PM, smokinjoe said:

Has been one of my favorite oddities for some time. I am on about my third bottle of it but I got all of mine from Europe. Did the person who gave it to you get it in Europe or is it finally available here? It has been rumored that it would be coming to the US for quite some time now.

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Has been one of my favorite oddities for some time. I am on about my third bottle of it but I got all of mine from Europe. Did the person who gave it to you get it in Europe or is it finally available here? It has been rumored that it would be coming to the US for quite some time now.

I'm in the UK, so readily available here. Not sure if it's made it to the US, sorry!

It was gifted by a store owner for my wedding, which was very nice of them. 

Ah! Didn't pay attention to the location listed on your profile. It had a TTB application a while back but I still have yet to see it here.

I'm back in the bluegrass and since winter shows no inclination to release its iron grip on us, I went with a steep pour of the Rittlepig blend tonight. 

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

I'm back in the bluegrass and since winter shows no inclination to release its iron grip on us, I went with a steep pour of the Rittlepig blend tonight. 

Oh man......I've been eyeing that last 4-5 ounces of Rittlepig I have stashed on the shelf. 

I'm on a couple of weeks now with the 2016 Michter's 10 yr rye, and I have had a difficult time getting my bearings on it.  But, tonight some things are coming around on it.

A lot of vegetal, grassy notes.  

Daniel's Rye in the hotel bar.  Maybe, it was the crap day I had, but this is really good right now.   

Having a pour of Pikesville. Almost finished with the bottle and I've realized I like it best with a little bit of water. Just a drop tames the heat and brings out some sweet and grassy notes. 

Been enjoying Jeff 10 as of late (and this one isn't NCF - but still pretty damned tasty!)

Passing on a Willett 7 year rye today inspired me to revisit a bottle of SAOS 7 year rye that was acquired for quite a bit less $$.

After the appetizer bourbon pour, I paid my respects to a couple of neglected bottles with a main course pour from a PS KC followed by a nice dessert pour of baby Saz. 

I visited my pikesville 110 last night. Holy crap I remembered it is good, but it was fantastic. Nice heat, but a lot of varied flavors came through. Finished the night with an effort on my BKM (bottle killing mission) and had some widow Jane. What a drop off. 

Edited by Charlutz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.