BOTM 4/16: Old Weller Antique AKA-OWA

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/6/2016 at 8:37 AM, Flyfish said:

OWA used to be one of my Big Three regular favorites along with AAA10YO and VOB6YO. The latter two are history and OWA might as well be. I haven't seen any in two years. I posted once that I preferred OWA to W12 even though I "know" W12 is "better."  OWA is the Wild Thing you want(ed) to take to the prom even though you knew W12 was a more solid choice.

Heh, heh - 50th high school reunion this year and I know what you mean.   ;)

I know I'm always complaining about not being able to find W12, evah - so I've had to console and comfort myself with a fairly steady stream of OWA purchases (just bought another for the bunker last night, still @ $21.99 OTD!).   So I guess we're very lucky to get this wonderful wheater in MetroWest Boston refilled on the shelves within a week or two.  Sorry for your shortages, guys and gals, but maybe all your bottles are ending up here????   :)

I'd take MM CS over the other commonly/readily available offerings (cost not being a factor).

Second would be a tie between W-12 and OWA (though a couple of recent ones have been less than stellar & some have been very good....so; variability in future will likely knock OWA back).

Third is a clear winner, with Larceny over any other ones that fit the requirements; ...and cost would elevate Larceny a notch, or even two, on price/value basis.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned saos10...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned saos10...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

SAOS10 isn't a wheater.  Just lower rye content than SAOS7.

Picked up a bottle of ER last night. The clerk said, "Hi, how are you? Find what you were looking for?"

"I'm doing well," I said, "but I could be doing weller."

"What?" she said, looking at me as if I had already sampled the ER.

"W. L. Weller, Weller 12 YO, or Old Weller Antique," I said.

"Never heard of it," she said.

"Of course you haven't," I said. "The bourbon gods in Columbus have decided there are lots of things you will never hear of."

I have always enjoyed OWA over W12...it is about as solid of a pour as any, just tough to find these days.

Near the top of my list, but alas, it does not show up around here at all! It's really getting bad out here. I have 1 bunkered and always look at it as if it may be the last one I see.

OWA used to be one of my top 3 go-to daily pours, but the last few bottles just haven't really done it for me. After playing around and vatting it with a number of other bourbons, it just seems incomplete and immature on its own. Its like all the flavors are there, but they dont come together like they used to.

I do still enjoy it, and think its a great value under $30. I have had a few recent single barrels that were excellent, so they are still cranking out some of the good stuff.

I would still like to see them split the difference between OWA and W12, with a 100 proof 8-10 yr old.

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

I would still like to see them split the difference between OWA and W12, with a 100 proof 8-10 yr old.

That sounds a lot like Weller Centennial. Lot's of people would like to see that one come back.

On April 29, 2016 at 2:38 PM, flahute said:

That sounds a lot like Weller Centennial. Lot's of people would like to see that one come back.

I agree with Steve. :)

Cheers! Joe

On April 29, 2016 at 2:38 PM, flahute said:

Exactly!

• 5 weeks later...

Oops, I meant to post in this thread, but forgot.

Anyway, I love OWA, it's one of my favorite pours of all time!

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2016 at 6:15 AM, tarheel said:

Simply an excellent bourbon. My problem with it is the lack of availability. Out here in NC, as recently as a couple of years ago you would see a dozen bottles on the shelf of every ABC store. Nowadays, I haven't seen it on the shelf in over a year. 

I have no idea what BT is doing - I understand partial allocation, and would be happy to wait a few months to get something. But it's like they don't exist out here anymore. We hardly ever have BT or Blanton's out there either - for some reason we always have ER....

It's really depressing, and I now appreciate fine available bourbon that much more. MMCS, WTRB, McKenna BIB, FRSB.....

Does anyone have an understanding of when things will normalize again to some degree?

We got a new manager at our local amall town ABC (Southport, NC) and he is constantly checking warehouse stock for hard to find and allocated stuff. He has been able to get stuff that usually only goes to the bigger cities. He usually gets the OWA in about 4 times a year and I always pick one up. Great buy at $27. I think NC tends to get the Wellers in January, March, , August and December. Being in Chapel Hill you may have to drive around to Durham or Raleigh and chat up the manager about getting it in. Our guy also will put you on an email list and let you know when he is receiving allocated product. 

It's the only Weller I've had the privilege of trying and it is by far my favorite wheater. Thick and chewy with a great cinnamon redhot candy finish. Stands up to ice if you're in the mood for something on the rocks, but be careful, the 107 proof sneaks up on you.

• 2 weeks later...

As difficult as OWA may be to find south of the border, the Ontario liquor monopoly (LCBO) brought in ~750 bottles.

Started appearing in stores around Toronto on Wednesday, a few are still available -  though most are probably on hold.

http://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductStoreInventoryView?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=467969&storeId=10151

Incredibly, it is priced below the SR ($34.95 v $36.95, compared to $44.95 for the 12yo)

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Didn't realize I hadn't gotten in on this thread yet.  I love me some OWA, and really miss seeing shelves full of it for 20 bucks a bottle.  Only have 2 or 3 left in the bunker...sigh.

Edited by Bourserker

OWA is still probably my favorite "affordable" bourbon.  I've had things that are better but something about OWA makes me happy every time.  I have a Binny's PS OWA that is probably right up there with the best bourbon I've ever tasted.  OWA profile turned up to 11.

I took a bottle to a wake a few weeks ago.  NO ONE had ever even HEARD of Weller before.  I forget how most folks that aren't bourbon nerds like us aren't aware of anything beyond Jack and Jim.

I wish I could find it on the shelf but I have a case or so bunkered.  I find about 1 or 2 bottles a year at "normal" pricing ($20s to low $30s).  The rest of the time it is in "ridiculous" territory of $70-$100.

OWA is a good value bourbon like OGD114, when you find it at regular retail under $30. I am a bigger fan of Weller 12, but it's obviously a lot harder to get my hands on than OWA. Some days OWA tastes really good to me and on others it seems a bit hot. I also like it for blending with other whiskey, especially W12 to make the SB blend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Got lucky a few months ago and grabbed a few (leaving plenty behind) for the bunker.  Unfortunately the new stuff is not quite the same as the old, just IMHO. 

IMG_5174.thumb.JPG.cf730c272af47610cd5d2eb0a5dc9779.JPG

...then I visited my brother in NYC and yes they got all the good stuff for sale, but at it's price...

IMG_5262.thumb.JPG.ab456fe3a0a143bb674ecce2f5c2d55e.JPG

On 7/5/2018 at 8:44 PM, JvW said:

Got lucky a few months ago and grabbed a few (leaving plenty behind) for the bunker.  Unfortunately the new stuff is not quite the same as the old, just IMHO. 

IMG_5174.thumb.JPG.cf730c272af47610cd5d2eb0a5dc9779.JPG

...then I visited my brother in NYC and yes they got all the good stuff for sale, but at it's price...

IMG_5262.thumb.JPG.ab456fe3a0a143bb674ecce2f5c2d55e.JPG

I think they will have them for a while. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.