The next batch of Rare Breed

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice to see they're putting Distilled by on all of their new labels.  I never understood why it wasn't on there for most of their older labels.

Thanx for this 'alert' Flahute!     We all know there is a crying need for more 'lerts', right?

I'll be looking for the new RB in a month or two.   RB is always a good one in my experience.

RB is probably my favorite high proof offering all things considered. I hope the profile of this batch swings a little bit more towards the last one (108 pf if I recall), had a little more sweetness and a bit more honey in the nose than the current offering but either way its a gem and along with the 101 the only WT products I give much attention to these days.

I guess this means a move back towards short-lived batches (as was the norm before the never-ending '03 batch)?

Finished my 112pr bottle with a mostly-undecided opinion of it. Definitely tasted young and unbalanced, even in comparison to 101, yet carried extra heft and punch over the 03 bottling that I did enjoy. 

I won't be surprised if I end up with a bottle of the new stuff. I'm a sucker for good turkey.

I'm guessing this is all because of Wild Turkey's ever-rising barrel entry proofs. I expect this will be hotter and thinner than the 112 proof brown vodka they came out with a few years ago. Why the harsh words? Turkey went from my favorite pour a few years ago to almost completely leaving my cabinet because of how thin, hot, and vodka-like it has become. It's going to take a lot of excellent product to win me back as a customer. The even higher proof of the Rare Breed does not bode well.

Turkey went from my favorite pour a few years ago to almost completely leaving my cabinet because of how thin, hot, and vodka-like it has become.

Same here. WT is what got me started on whiskey and they've made it really difficult to remain a fan. I keep waiting and hoping they'll turn things around (I even bought Diamond) but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. 

I know we're not the only people that feel that way. There are quite a few people that have noticed the deep, thick flavors in WT are gone. I will grab a bottle of the new 116 when it comes out just to make sure I'm not missing anything. I would love to open the bottle and have a pour and it's what the 108 used to be, but I fear that's only a dream.

One of the fascinating things about our hobby is how different people can have such totally different opinions and perceptions of a whiskey.  RB 112 was better than 108, for me.  And, I have recently come back to the regular 101 after a long absence.  The hot and thin period was a number of years ago (post 8 yr and No. 8, of course), but my most recent bottles in the last couple of years have been much better.  Particularly, with mouthfeel.  The RR Single Barrel 110 proof has been a winner for me since it's introduction.  In addition to the solid general release bottlings of this label, I have sampled  some private selections that have been some of the best Turkey I have ever had.  But again, different whiskies hit different people...differently...:)

I had a bottle of the standard iteration RR single barrel and I ended up dumping the bottle. It was so hot and had a horrible neutral spirit note that I couldn't drink it. I picked up a store selection RR single barrel that I was able to have a sample of in the store before buying. THAT is good and what I believe all bottles of RR and WT should taste like. It's still a little thinner than the old 108 Rare Breed, but it had no vodka note, nor was it burning hot. It was full and robust and well worth the money. Also in WT's defense, I LOVE their ryes- the 81, 101, and RR are all big wins in my book. Once the 101 Rye comes back on the mainstream market in quantity, I will at least be a frequent customer for that.

I recently tried RB and I have to say, out of the WT, RR, and Kentucky Spirit, RB is/was my fave.  Doesn't mean that it's my top 10, but I do think it is a solid product.  There are other Barrel-proof offerings I'd take over it though.

Thanks for posting the info though, I'll be on the lookout.

Edited by fenderbender4

I picked up a bottle of the 108 and while I enjoy it, I liked the 112 better.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I've been a fan of the RB112 since it came out. I only had one bottle of the 108 before the switch and it's been too long for me to remember how they compare. (I do have two 108's stashed away but have not been compelled to open them because the 112 tastes fine to me). I've also had good luck with the RR Single Barrel. They've all been store picks as of late. Like Joe said above, I've also had very good luck with WT101 for the past 2-3 years. One bottle was exceptional and had a creamy thick mouthfeel that I still remember well.

It should be said that I've only been at this for about 3-4 years so I don't have the history with the legendary age stated bottles that you guys mention above so I don't have anything to compare to.

Ethan, I understand your reservations with anything WT these days. The last bottle of RB I had matched your description perfectly: thin, astringent, and lacking in flavor. I have some older label RR and No. 8 101 stashed so I haven't felt the need to give them another look for a while. That said, I'm willing to give them another shot as some pours of 101 in bars recently have been good and the reviews from others here have been promising. A recent store selection of new red-label RR found its way home with me and if all goes well with that one, I think I may be back on the Turkey Train and give the new RB a whirl as well.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 1:05 AM, flahute said:

The new label for Rare Breed has been cleared with the TTB. It will be 116.8 proof this time. 

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=16076001000643

Thanks for the alert Steve.  I'll purchase the first bottle I see and hope that improves over the 112 as much as the 112 improved over the 108.

Well for my taste buds anyway.

5 hours ago, TunnelTiger said:

Thanks for the alert Steve.  I'll purchase the first bottle I see and hope that improves over the 112 as much as the 112 improved over the 108.

Well for my taste buds anyway.

Haven't seen you in a long spell TT. Good to see you posting!

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2016 at 7:20 PM, ken_mays said:

Does the RR single barrel not do it for you guys?  

RR Single Barrel 110 proof is my favorite Wild Turkey product currently available in the US that I've had so far.  The juice in that bottle had no real weaknesses and was everything I expect a $50 bourbon should be. 

On 4/10/2016 at 7:20 PM, ken_mays said:

Not really.  I've tried KS, RB, and RR (the small batch single barrel one) and RB won out for me.  KS was't bad, but I really didn't like the RSBSB.  Not sure if that's the one you're talking about or the regular RR10.

On 4/10/2016 at 8:20 PM, ken_mays said:

I was disappointed enough in the RR10 year that I haven't tried anything else from that side of Wild Turkey.  I mostly just stick to RB and 101.  The RR Ryes do intrigue me though.  I'd have to try them in a bar before buying, though.

Edited by garbanzobean

The RRSiB is so far ahead of the RR10 it is not funny.  Don't judge RRSiB, based on RR10.  Next time you feel like a cut above Bourbon,  from the WT line, pick up RRSiB

Single Barrel variation aside, I find RRSiB to be consistently good and high quality. I haven't had a bad one yet and have found some exceptional ones. I'm sure there's a stinker out there somewhere, but I'd had very good results so far.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.