Favorite Peaty Blend

ramblinman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, emr454 said:

Picked up a bottle of Islay Mist this afternoon, and wow! For $18 this is a heckuva deal. To me, this beats Famous Grouse any day of the week.

Ha! So you got it before I got back to you...

So yeah, as you've noted, nothing like Famous Grouse. It has a lot more in common with The Black Grouse, but I'd still say that Islay Mist is much better, especially for the money. 

But my current favorite blend, even more that Isle of Skye 8yo, is The Antiquary 12 yo! It isn't quite as peaty as Islay Mist, but it's the most well-rounded blend I've ever had. And it has absolutely NONE of the blended whisky funk that you find in so many others. And it is generally available for ~ $28. 

9 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Ha! So you got it before I got back to you...

So yeah, as you've noted, nothing like Famous Grouse. It has a lot more in common with The Black Grouse, but I'd still say that Islay Mist is much better, especially for the money. 

But my current favorite blend, even more that Isle of Skye 8yo, is The Antiquary 12 yo! It isn't quite as peaty as Islay Mist, but it's the most well-rounded blend I've ever had. And it has absolutely NONE of the blended whisky funk that you find in so many others. And it is generally available for ~ $28. 

Yep, couldnt resist stopping after work yesterday.  Can't say that I've seen Isle of Skye or Antiquary in this area but i will keep my eye out for them in the future. 

• 1 month later...

Connemara Single Malt, the only smoky peat Irish whiskey.   I developed quite an affinity for this during extensive taste testing at Lowry's in Clifden this past summer.  

Lowry's is an exceptionally well stocked bar - though they serve a LOT of beer, they are on the Irish Whiskey Trail and deservedly so.  We rented a flat about 80 yards away so I was free to enjoy the lively ambience into the evenings.   

11 hours ago, marshbound said:

Connemara Single Malt, the only smoky peat Irish whisky.   I developed quite an affinity for this during extensive taste testing at Lowry's in Clifden this past summer.  

Connemara Single Malt, the only smoky peat Irish whiskey.   I developed quite an affinity for this during extensive taste testing at Lowry's in Clifden this past summer.  

Lowry's is an exceptionally well stocked bar - though they serve a LOT of beer, they are on the Irish Whiskey Trail and deservedly so.  We rented a flat about 80 yards away so I was free to enjoy the lively ambience into the evenings.   

Lowry's is an exceptionally well stocked bar - though they serve a LOT of beer, they are on the Irish Whiskey Trail and deservedly so.  We rented a flat about 80 yards away so I was free to enjoy the lively ambiance into the evenings.   

Wow, Connemara Single Malt must be really good!  :D

15 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

Wow, Connemara Single Malt must be really good!  :D

:ph34r:  I would say I should stop drinking before posting, but I would hope to find a sympathetic audience here.  Yes, I admit to hitting the "submit reply" button several times.  I just couldn't see anything happening, not sure if there was a lag in the system response or if my newness to this software is to blame.  Further, I see no way to delete my own posts.  I have requested mod support, because I hate it when others do what I did!

13 minutes ago, marshbound said:

:ph34r:  I would say I should stop drinking before posting, but I would hope to find a sympathetic audience here.  Yes, I admit to hitting the "submit reply" button several times.  I just couldn't see anything happening, not sure if there was a lag in the system response or if my newness to this software is to blame.  Further, I see no way to delete my own posts.  I have requested mod support, because I hate it when others do what I did!

Don't worry about it marsh.  No problem.  Another reason that this forum is so great is that most of us around here are good humored.

19 hours ago, marshbound said:

Wellllllll, maybe not! Rumor has it that the Teeling 21yo Sauternes finished whiskey was basically a really old Connemara before it found its way to the Sauternes cask. It is subtle but I always got a hint of peaty smoke out of that delightful bottle.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Wellllllll, maybe not! Rumor has it that the Teeling 21yo Sauternes finished whiskey was basically a really old Connemara before it found its way to the Sauternes cask. It is subtle but I always got a hint of peaty smoke out of that delightful bottle.

Nice!  Might have to get back over to my personal barstool for another week of tasting.  I am a sucker for the extra aged whiskeys that are finished in flavored casks like brandy or, in the Teeling's case, a sweet French wine so I'd be predisposed to like it.

• 4 months later...

Teechers Highland Cream is a decent blend, and peaty too, because they blend grain whisky with Ardmore single malt.

Can't say I've found a blend I like that's le$$ than Laphroaig 10. I am a big fan of Big Peat, haven't gotten my hands on a Christmas bottle yet. As far as reasonably priced peat SM, I'd say Ardbeg 10 is my standout.

I'm a huge fan of Ardbeg.  Uiggedail and 10 are my favorites but single malts and not blends.  I SBS'd Laphroig 10 and Ardbeg 10 and clearly preferred the Ardbeg. It was peatier while somehow being less "medicinal" than the Lap.

The Taliskers are good choices, too.  I prefer Storm to 10 YO.  I find it a little peatier and more "in your face" while the 10 YO is more refined and fruity.  I've seen Storm marked down to ~$35 lately as well.  At that price it is a bargain.

Not sure if the OP original post was looking for blends as a cheaper alternative to the sm?  I haven't tried cheaper peaty blends like Mist.  I have tried Big Peat and liked it but not more than the Ardbeg singles I prefer at a lower cost.  I almost bought a Compass Box Peat Monster the other day.  Any thoughts on that one?  Again, it is a blend that is pricier than Ardbeg 10, which is my personal benchmark.

Teechers Highland Cream is a decent blend, and peaty too, because they blend grain whisky with Ardmore single malt.

Teachers isn't as good as it used to be since they stopped using the other major single malt component, which I believe was Glendronach, in addition to Ardmore. I believe they have made some further modifications with the blend along with new labeling and bottle design, which I haven't tried yet, so maybe it is better again. In the mean time I have some bottles of the original blend recipe in my bunker, so I'm good for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.