New cabinet. How long to let it sit to off gas before loading it up

ThirstyinOhio
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is probably a stupid question, but what the hell.  I just took delivery of a new closed door cabinet to store the ever expanding whiskey collection.  This will be mainly storing bottles that are still sealed and waiting to be opened.  The cabinet has a bit of a chemical smell from the paint, varnish, glue, and whatever else was used to make the thing.  I plan on letting it air out for a week but does anyone have any experience of new furniture fumes getting into sealed bottles and giving them off flavors?  Maybe I'm just being overly cautious but I'd hate to put 2-3 hundred bottles in there to find out that it does. 

No personal experience to draw on but I can't imagine it would have any impact on a sealed bottle. But perhaps if you have a way to let the cabinet air out outdoors on a covered porch or maybe a garage that might allow the odor to dissipate a bit faster. At the very least keep the doors open for awhile if possible until it seems to be aired out.

I doubt anything can get into still sealed bottles. I'd agree with giving the cabinet ample time to air out though. Primarily because you don't want your nostrils to be accosted by said smell right before you open up a new bottle of something special.

Inside in the room you want to put it is probably the best place to let it get stabilized to its environment

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I would say leave the doors open on the cabinet and the fumes will gradually go away.  You could put an open box of baking soda in there.  

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

I would say leave the doors open on the cabinet and the fumes will gradually go away.  You could put an open box of baking soda in there.  

A small tin with a few briquets of charcoal works good too.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A small tin with a few briquets of charcoal works good too.

Well Smackdabbit Joe, we're changing your name to Heloise! :lol:

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Well Smackdabbit Joe, we're changing your name to Heloise! :lol:

What can I say? :P

Okay, what gives?  This has been posted since Thursday and no one has come in suggesting the cabinet should be filled with whiskey but stored in another locale so that ThirstyinOhio doesn't have to deal with fumes, like maybe Seatle or Atlanta?

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, B.B. Babington said:

Okay, what gives?  This has been posted since Thursday and no one has come in suggesting the cabinet should be filled with whiskey but stored in another locale so that ThirstyinOhio doesn't have to deal with fumes, like maybe Seatle or Atlanta?

Ha...I'm almost dumb enough to fall for that one too.

The charcoal idea is a pretty good idea. 

So where is the picture of the cabinet full of liquor?

A little late, but how about wiping it down with a bourbon soaked cloth? Or you could soak some oak chips (with some bourbon of course) and put those in it. Then you would have that nice rackhouse smell every time you opened it.;)

Edited by dSculptor

On 4/23/2016 at 10:38 AM, dSculptor said:

A little late, but how about wiping it down with a bourbon soaked cloth? Or you could soak some oak chips (with some bourbon of course) and put those in it. Then you would have that nice rackhouse smell every time you opened it.;)

Depending on what it's finished with, that could be a bad idea. If it's shellac or lacquer..... don't do it!! Conversion Varnish or urethane, you're good to go.

That's a really awesome cabinet, and a great selection! Good work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, dSculptor said:

Nice! Did the smell go away?

Most of the smell has dissipated, but I'll probably leave the doors open for a little while yet.

Wow, are any of those open, or do you keep your open bottles somewhere else?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.