Cooper's hammer?

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recently got this hammer. The hammer book calls it a cooper's combination hammer. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks, Enoch

hammer.jpg

Lemme get this straight --  You bought a weird-looking hammer, and now you are asking for help figuring out "what" it is, "how" it is used, "who" makes it, "what" it is for, etc.

Are you a relative of mine?  This is MY approach to life.  Just saying . . .;)

I found this reference first: 15" all metal Cooper's combination barrel bung hammer. Good Plus. (Baird's Hammer Book, pg 37) with this picture. But at $15 I decided to go ahead and get it.

image.jpeg

I bet that hook on the end can be used to pull the hoops down or something or other...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Here is a picture of another hammer similar in design I found Binging

bung hammer.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Next time you're in KY go by Independent Stave and see what they can tell you about it.

For those of you interested, after researching endless dead ends I have discovered it is a croze, or croze tool, or croze hammer. Somehow used in the cutting or using the croze which is the groove at both ends of the barrel where the head fits in.... didn't know the groove had a name...

csm_old_tool1_1ab75eb392_54aa6dfe78bd394d4a52c63c59dc420f_6e2a45d81e.jpg

Edited by Enoch

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.