Tin Cup mountain whiskey

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Isn't this the same Tincup brand they have been selling for awhile? Perhaps just with a new "mountain" spin in the advertising and aimed at the new drinker market? Despite all the hype it is MGP bourbon (even though they label it as whiskey) and has no association with Colorado or mountains except for the "Rocky Mountain" water they cut it with (way too much I might add at 84 proof). And for all I know the Rocky Mountain water is City of Denver tap water. When it first came out they managed to "forget" to label it as MGP as I recall so kind of hard to trust anything they say.

Face of it is one of the people who started Stranahan's (and the brand is owned by the same company that owns Stranahan's now, Proximo) but at least they made/make that one. I have no interest in Tincup myself. If you want MGP bourbon Smooth Ambler does it better in my opinion.

• I like it 1

I've been seeing the ads as well.  New marketing push I guess.  My neighbor bought it (for some reason) and I tried it.  I hated it.  It was just bad in every possible way.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, meadeweber said:

I've been seeing the ads as well.  New marketing push I guess.  My neighbor bought it (for some reason) and I tried it.  I hated it.  It was just bad in every possible way.

Thought so....

thanks

• I like it 1

• 6 months later...

The price is right, and it's a perfectly drinkable bourbon.    (It's a blend of two MGP bourbons with a dash of Stranahan's malt whiskey,  hence the "American whiskey" appellation.)    It's better than Jack or JB. 

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

On 11/14/2016 at 8:29 PM, Jazzhead said:

The price is right, and it's a perfectly drinkable bourbon.    (It's a blend of two MGP bourbons with a dash of Stranahan's malt whiskey,  hence the "American whiskey" appellation.)    It's better than Jack or JB. 

But it's not a bourbon, as you said.  Also, it's more expensive than JD or JB, at least around these parts.

• I like it 1

The guy at BevMo told me it was the best thing since sliced bread, so I purchased a bottle.  While I can't say anything bad about it, I can't say much good.  I would consider it an inoffensive drinkable whiskey that is not very interesting.  I finished my bottle and I wont replace it.  It sells for $24 in Phoenix, so not a bad experiment.  :unsure:

• I like it 1

I received a bottle of Tin Cup as a gift last year. The first couple of pours were less than impressive, but like a lot of others that need a little time and space to breath after opening, later pours were much better. I don't love it, but I like it. Priced in the mid $20s, I'd say its worth that, and would consider buying it in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/17/2016 at 10:16 AM, MTNBourbon said:

I would not buy it, too many other great bourbons/whiskeys out there.

I've been seeing the ads frequently on sports programs lately, and thought I'd drop in here to see what people thought of it.  84 proof?  Meh.

If I'm going to make some exotic summit I want something with a decent kick so I don't have to carry so much of it.  Several years ago a group of friends and I did a week in the Wind River range in Wyoming.  Such a labor to backpack for a week, at altitude (I live at 400 ft above sea level) and in rugged territory that I only carried in 500 ml of Knob Creek Single Barrel at 120 proof, enough for a nightly pop.  But of course my friends found it to their liking as well so it was 2 nights and dead.   :angry:

We are planning again for 2018 and I am just beginning my research into what to take.  Again, weight is at a premium (I'll be just turning 60) so high proof is essential.  I just can't see someone hauling 84 proof to some remote place like that.  In the Winds, we have unlimited water so I can dilute my own if I really want to.

• I like it 1

I've been seeing the ads frequently on sports programs lately, and thought I'd drop in here to see what people thought of it.  84 proof?  Meh.

If I'm going to make some exotic summit I want something with a decent kick so I don't have to carry so much of it.  Several years ago a group of friends and I did a week in the Wind River range in Wyoming.  Such a labor to backpack for a week, at altitude (I live at 400 ft above sea level) and in rugged territory that I only carried in 500 ml of Knob Creek Single Barrel at 120 proof, enough for a nightly pop.  But of course my friends found it to their liking as well so it was 2 nights and dead.   :angry:

We are planning again for 2018 and I am just beginning my research into what to take.  Again, weight is at a premium (I'll be just turning 60) so high proof is essential.  I just can't see someone hauling 84 proof to some remote place like that.  In the Winds, we have unlimited water so I can dilute my own if I really want to.

Love those mountains, though eventually came to love the Frank Church wilderness even more when I lived in that area of the country. It sounds like your friends need to invest in a flask or three of their own! Haha.

I agree about the higher proof stuff being better for backpacking. You need something that's not going to be too subtle when you're drinking it out of less than ideal containers and you need to be weight conscious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just haven't had the urge to try Tin Cup, but as for Wyoming, great country. :) I've been to the Bighorn Basin/Greybull area a few times. I don't know where your base of operations is, but Kirby is only about an hour and 15 minutes from Riverton. The Wyoming Whiskey distillery is located there. Might check it out if you have the time. 

Cheers! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I just haven't had the urge to try Tin Cup, but as for Wyoming, great country. :) I've been to the Bighorn Basin/Greybull area a few times. I don't know where your base of operations is, but Kirby is only about an hour and 15 minutes from Riverton. The Wyoming Whiskey distillery is located there. Might check it out if you have the time. 

Cheers! Joe

Thanks Joe.  We are hiking out of the Diamond 4 ranch, said to be the highest ranch in the state, near Lander.  I've been seeing the Wyoming label around and could be persuaded to try a little nip.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.