What Rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2016

dboland
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In need of a punchy rye, I went looking for Pikesville, but settled for WTRR SB.  

Two WFE 8 years (finally opened one I bought last fall, found it was delicious and went back to snap the last two on the shelf).  Plus the Michter's Cask Strength.

SAOS7 on sale for $35. I may have to go back and get them all. They are on close out. Batch 13 from May 2013. They never sold at this store, so they finally put them on sale. 

I really enjoyed the Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye that I picked up in Boulder as the family and I passed through on our vacation. So on our return trip I had to pick up another to take back to mid Missouri with us!

• 2 weeks later...

Sighhhhh......I broke my embargo on Michter's products for a bottle of the Barrel Strength Rye. I tasted it at Whisky Live in Louisville and it was quite good. I found it online for $70 and was not strong enough to resist.

RRRSiB at $46. Or is the proper acronym WTRR Rye SiB?  I had been intrigued by the discussion on here for a few weeks but passing it by because there were a few on the shelf. There was only 1 today so I figured I should grab it just in case. 

I was lucky enough to find a second bottle of Booker's Rye for a fellow SB member. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bottle of Double Rye from a barrel purchase.  This barrel originally held Knob Creek then went overseas and held some scotch before coming back here to finish some rye.  Looking forward to giving it a shot or three.

Picked up a SAOS 7 year today to add to the bunker. I still see plenty of these around for the time being. I might grab another one because even though the price jumped $10-15 since they announced this wouldn't be regularly available, it's still a decent value compared to other ryes. I like MGP but think it needs some age — when it's too young the dill is overpowering for me.

Edited by Spade

I purchased a bottle of Sazerac Rye today, got it home and gave it a try. I tried it neat first. It is very spicy with a warm finish, but very good flavor. I then tried it with ice.  The ice mellows it out very nicely, and I found it to be a very nice drink.

On 6/21/2016 at 10:10 PM, flahute said:

Sighhhhh......I broke my embargo on Michter's products for a bottle of the Barrel Strength Rye. I tasted it at Whisky Live in Louisville and it was quite good. I found it online for $70 and was not strong enough to resist.

I agree.  I've been enjoying my bottle and may pick up another one.  It's a bourbony rye with a thick and creamy texture - right up my alley.

Oh - and I finally broke down and bought a bottle of the newer Yippee Ki Yay when I saw it on sale for $52.  Since most places want $70 for it around here, I figured I was getting a deal - we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the Willett 3-yr. will be giving it a try this week. I'm interested to see how it is versus the 2-yr.

10 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

Bought the Willett 3-yr. will be giving it a try this week. I'm interested to see how it is versus the 2-yr.

Let us know! I passed on a bottle out in CA during vacation because I didn't want to have to check my bag coming back.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle of WT 101 rye 1L at an OP, KS liquor store that accepted a special order from me. Priced at $38, it doesn't disappoint. 3 oz stood up to some ice while I sipped for nearly an hour. It has a bit of the same flavor that I find in good ol' WT101. I'd happily put it into my regular rotation of bottles if it were readily available but it has price competition at that store from the RRR6yr, 750ml at only a dollar more, $39. Yes, the RR is proofed at 90 rather than 101 and is a smaller quantity but it also has a more prestigious appearance and name in a fancy bottle. People often drink with their eyes and you can't blame a business too much for sticking with what sells when it comes to stocking the shelves.

If you see it on the shelf at your local purveyor of fine spirits, take a chance on a bottle. It's a very good rye whiskey.

HW rendezvous, my first HW purchase though I have enjoyed every HW I have tried at bars, restaurants, functions... Looking forward to enjoying a HW product at home where I can focus on it. I will have a look around for a RR that has been finished as well as these have gotten some positive talk from several SBrs. 

Whistlepig Old World.  Quite enjoyed the first one I had awhile ago, they were down to two on the shelf and I figured I owed it to myself to snap one of them up.

Edited by Tony Santana

• 2 weeks later...

With autumn approaching, I thought it prudent to pick up a Colonel Taylor today. 

I'd been a while...:P

I picked up a Ri1 today.  ONLY, because it was $19.99.  

I picked up a Ri1 today.  ONLY, because it was $19.99.  

I didn't realize those were still around

13 hours ago, BigRich said:

Dumpster diving...

20 hours ago, BigRich said:

Maybe Cofer was having a garage sale. :lol: Jmmmmmmmy!

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Maybe Cofer was having a garage sale. :lol: Jmmmmmmmy!

Nope.  He would have charged me $119.99, the bastid...

Edited by smokinjoe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.