What Rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2016

dboland
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I figured a new thread was in order for the warm months :D

Picked up a few Pikesville at Costco for $44. Also got a 1L WT101 Rye for $35 after not being able to find it anywhere, only the 81 proof.

I bought a bottle of Rittenhouse for a friend's bday. I don't think she's a whiskey drinker...she laughed when she opened it. Might have to send her some cocktail recipes!

A bottle of Pendleton 1910 rye whiskey from Hood River Distillery last Wednesday to take back to my 50th High School reunion in Oregon this summer.   It brings back great memories of the raucous times of my youth in the "Let 'er Buck" room under the stadium during Roundup!   :D

Edited by GeeTen

• 2 weeks later...

a friend who no longer drinks got this from his mother and gave it to me.

any thoughts on if it's gonna be good?

372A397D-76A4-463F-B1B1-007512A88E77_zps

Picked up a Michters 10y SB Rye. I thought last year's was very good, so couldn't pass it up. 

Picked up a bottle of the Yippie Ky-Yay now that it has hit town. This is batch 2 for the wider national release. Curious if there are any differences from the original batch that I got from the distillery last year. And it can't hurt to have another!

Picked up a barrel proof WhistlePig. I'd been eyeing this for a while but hadn't talked myself into it until today.

I went into a store to pick up some RR and for $3 more they had High West Double Rye so I got that instead. It seems to hold up well in a cocktail despite not being as spicy as Bulleitt or SAOS.

On 5/12/2016 at 2:39 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Picked up a bottle of the Yippie Ky-Yay now that it has hit town. This is batch 2 for the wider national release. Curious if there are any differences from the original batch that I got from the distillery last year. And it can't hurt to have another!

You had a chance to open this yet?  A spot is about to open up in my rotation and I'm trying to decide if I want to open up a HW MWND or the Yippie Kiy-Yay?  I suppose I should open up the YKY since I can still get that.  Man I love everything about MWND.  Unlike most limited releases these days, it actually IS something special, and I can actually find it on shelves for limited periods of time.  It's like the magic of 2012 is back (walking into my favorite liquor store and finding something special on the shelves).  

Grabbed a bottle of baby saz for 29.99. Nice to see quite a few bottles sitting there.  Been a while.

Picked up a bottle of the 2016 Michter's 10 year Straight Rye @ $107. Seeing as the MSRP is 150, I felt like I could justify the purchase. Left two on the shelf

On 5/16/2016 at 2:29 PM, Spade said:

Picked up a barrel proof WhistlePig. I'd been eyeing this for a while but hadn't talked myself into it until today.

I did the same yesterday.

On 5/18/2016 at 7:18 PM, garbanzobean said:

You had a chance to open this yet?  A spot is about to open up in my rotation and I'm trying to decide if I want to open up a HW MWND or the Yippie Kiy-Yay?  I suppose I should open up the YKY since I can still get that.  Man I love everything about MWND.  Unlike most limited releases these days, it actually IS something special, and I can actually find it on shelves for limited periods of time.  It's like the magic of 2012 is back (walking into my favorite liquor store and finding something special on the shelves).  

I had a pour of the Yipee Ki-Yay a few weekends ago in a bar and was very disappointed. I think I'm getting way too sensitive towards the dill-ness of the MGP/LDI ryes, though. Even MWND is too dill-y for me now

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:18 PM, garbanzobean said:

I have yet to open the batch 2 but have had lots of the batch 1. I really like it but I am not as sensitive to the dill thing some note. Indeed I don't get any dill in the YKY.

Three Pikesville 110s (Summer is coming up, and I want to be ready).  On the way to check-out, I noticed KC Rye (100 proof, not the barrel or 2001) on sale for $24.  I had a free elbow I could tuck one under so . . .

Bought a couple more Rittenhouse at $24/each and would have grabbed more Pikesville but passed on it at $53.

I had passed on a bottle of Pikesville last week because my favorite local shop had gotten in a handful of offerings I don't normally see around here and I had to choose to take home just 2 bottles. The Pikesville lost out to ECBP and SAOSTen. However, that lonely little fifth of rye whiskey sitting on the shelf kept me up at night! After much consideration I had to go get it and give it a new home!

Picked up a HW YKY today. Going to open it up over the weekend. 

image.jpeg

16 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

image.jpeg

I opened up mine recently and enjoy it BUT be prepared for it to be VERY vermouth forward. The High West notes even say it drinks well as an apertif but my expectations were more in like with a RR manhattan finish, and it was not so similar to that. 

12 hours ago, LCWoody said:

image.jpeg

Interesting that it is batch 5. The batch we got locally was batch 2 (at least it is the only batch I have seen) and the ones I got directly from the distillery were all batch 1 of course.

I suppose just for the sake of science a comparison is in order...

Whenever I see this, I think - why wouldn't a person just buy some quality vermouth, maybe some bitters, and experiment with their whiskey of choice.  Don't people know how to make cocktails anymore?  Isn't that basically what this is? 

55 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Whenever I see this, I think - why wouldn't a person just buy some quality vermouth, maybe some bitters, and experiment with their whiskey of choice.  Don't people know how to make cocktails anymore?  Isn't that basically what this is? 

HW makes a bottled barrel aged Manhattan and Boulevardier cocktail but this is not the same. This is Double Rye whiskey that has been aged in barrels that previously aged Vya vermouth and some additional barrels that had previously aged Qupe Syrah wine. It does not have any added ingredients like the bottled cocktails do (although all of them have a connection to Vya vermouth which is probably how this all started). 

The two different barrel aged whiskies were then married into a single whiskey which, as High West describes it, produced "an all-natural, not disgustingly-sweet sipper". And as a result Yippee Ki-Yay was born!

I mean really, what more could you want... :D

Michters Barrel Strength Rye today. On my 3rd pour of it, and really enjoy it. Nose is fantastic and at 114 proof, it's amazing on the palette. 

I was in a shop 45 minutes from home in a direction I rarely go and they had WT101 rye. I've never seen it in MD before and grabbed two 1L bottles at $38 each. Pretty psyched to try this based on the buzz it gets here.

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I was in a shop 45 minutes from home in a direction I rarely go and they had WT101 rye. I've never seen it in MD before and grabbed two 1L bottles at $38 each. Pretty psyched to try this based on the buzz it gets here.

It's pretty good. And this reminds me I'm neglecting my bottle that's stashed safely away down in my bike shop bunker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.