BOTM 5/16: Old Grand Dad BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

25 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Ozark - Welcome to the OTHER cult.;)  Also, I've been drinking it for manymany years, but this week was the first time I added a mixer.  Like Jim Beam White and Coke, OGD BIB and ginger ale approaches perfection. ASIDE: I think I'm becoming obsessed with the OGD Highball.  Can't stop thinking about it.

I read the ginger ale comment a few threads back, what the hell, i'll try it. Thanks!

Edited by Ozark

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I think I'm becoming obsessed with the OGD Highball.  Can't stop thinking about it.

Hee-Hee!   True dat, my friend.    Like the first kiss, and heavy petting with a really hot chick, ain't it?    Just gets right into yer psyche!

8 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Hee-Hee!   True dat, my friend.    Like the first kiss, and heavy petting with a really hot chick, ain't it?    Just gets right into yer psyche!

[Insert Donna Summer Song]

Not even close. ..

10 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Not even close. ..

At my age, yes, it is, too.  At least I know I won't embarrass myself in front of the OGD.:unsure:

On 5/10/2016 at 0:21 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

At my age, yes, it is, too.  At least I know I won't embarrass myself in front of the OGD.:unsure:

Moi aussi!   :lol:

My dear Old Grand Dad (BIB), how I have ignored you for too long. In my bar days, I always asked for the bonded bourbon (usually the quality bourbon being poured, and also a good test to see if the bartender had a clue). Often my reward was OGD. These days the value BIB in my home bar is Old Barton, with OGD114, another good value, right there in the rotation too. But frankly, the "new" Old Barton BIB, with the silly 6 on the neck label mocking me, is not what it used to be. So went shopping last week and reached down to the familiar orange-capped bottle (still, at my store), opening it that night. I've enjoyed several pours since, and ODG may be my new bonded go-to. Nice color, pleasant nose, good taste (not complex, but no off notes), smooth with a little afterburn, and a fine, lingering finish. A great value, highly recommended. Good call on this BOTM, Joe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Love the OGD 114 and really like the OGD BIB. I don't mix often (Old Fashioneds and Bourbon & Cola or ginger ale), but this makes an excellent mixer. Enough character and spice to punch through whatever you're mixing it with. I can often find it in my state on sale for $17 so it's a great value.

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 10 months later...
On May 8, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Ozark - Welcome to the OTHER cult.;)  Also, I've been drinking it for manymany years, but this week was the first time I added a mixer.  Like Jim Beam White and Coke, OGD BIB and ginger ale approaches perfection. ASIDE: I think I'm becoming obsessed with the OGD Highball.  Can't stop thinking about it.

Now you've got me thinking. ( hopefully my hair won't catch fire like the last time ). I love Jim Beam white and coke. I thought I'd try it with ginger ale, but it just didn't do it for me. I figured it was just because I've always drank Jim beam with coke.  I got some OGD BIB because of you talking about always having it handy. Maybe some one else to. One of you always says it's always in their trash can by their chair. I like it and will be getting more. But with what you said, I may have to try some with ginger ale.

27 minutes ago, brock957 said:

Now you've got me thinking. ( hopefully my hair won't catch fire like the last time ). I love Jim Beam white and coke. I thought I'd try it with ginger ale, but it just didn't do it for me. I figured it was just because I've always drank Jim beam with coke.  I got some OGD BIB because of you talking about always having it handy. Maybe some one else to. One of you always says it's always in their trash can by their chair. I like it and will be getting more. But with what you said, I may have to try some with ginger ale.

Funny you should resurrect this now.  I do, indeed, keep OGD BIB next to my TV chair (although I keep the glasses in the kitchen).  The trash can, too, got moved so I now just let it sit on a lower shelf of a bookcase.  RE: OGD BIB as a mixer - when JB BIB came out, I tried it and liked it well enough as a mixer that I moved the OGD back to its "neat only" use.  I'd even forgotten about this until OGD BIB recently popped up in the Virtual Bottle Tasting;  one of the clues was it was a good mixer, and I totally missed it because I'd NEVER used it as one.  Well, I was wrong, wasn't I . . .

SO, give JB BIB a whirl with ginger ale.

• I like it 2

Prompted by this thread I picked up a bottle yesterday for $20 and find it a fine bargain.  Definitely fits in the value rotation.  Thanks all.

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...

I have never bought the Bib but have OGD 114 in my  3 liter barrel .  OLd Fashioneds on tap.  Oh yeah...  

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.