BOTM 5/16: Old Grand Dad BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Once again I've gone back into the past and decided to revisit something that hasn't been the BOTM in a while. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of members will be happy with my pick this month.:D

Sad to say that I've never bought a bottle of OGD BIB. I have sampled it a few times, but it's been a while. I feel anything I might have to say would be somewhat irrelevant, so I'll just let y'all take over from here. Let's here what y'all have to say about OGD BIB.  Cheers and happy posting.:P

Joe

I'm a big fan of OGD bond.  It's always somewhere in my rotation.  I've never felt the need to stock up or bunker more than one extra bottle.  I can easily replace it any day but Sunday, under $20 out the door some places.  Due to scarecity of many wheaters, I've ended up switching to more rye recipe bourbons (like this).  :D  I highly reccomend.

OGD BIB sits in my trash can next to my TV chair.  Everything else I have to go get.  I have multiples in the bunker in case the trash can is empty.  When it is on sale under $20 before sales tax (which happens a lot), I buy some whether I need it or not.  I also just realized that I don't think I  have EVER added water, ice, or mixers to it or otherwise used it in a cocktail.  I even like the new label although I'm still a little leery of the fake cork vs. old orange cap, but at least it's a fake cork and is subject to quality control during manufacturing unlike cork which grows on trees at nature's whim.  Maybe if they changed the color of the plastic wrap on the new bottle from black to orange, I'd like the change even better as I could find new bottles easier in the dark corners of the bunker.

• I like it 1

• fishnbowljoe pinned this topic

I like to say about OGDBIB that it's "bad palate night" proof. I always go to it on those nights and it delivers. I do also sometimes visit it just on account of it being a fine bourbon on its own and one of the best values out there.

I always have OGD (as well as OGD114) in the 'rotation'.     Unlike Harry I sometimes add water or ice, even to the Bond.    I also find OGD or its stronger brother make THE BEST highball with ginger ale.     I too, wish for the old 'orange-screw-cap' to return.    I have a few in the closet; but then it's on to the 'new' fake corks.    Probably a non-issue; but I don't accept such changes well.    I'm old.    I'm crotchety.   I'm probably a curmudgeon.    Deal with it.

At the end of a whiskey night with friends, I sampled OGD side by side with BH, and the taste was similar, but OGD just had so much more of it. I'm a big fan. $35 out the door for the 1.75 is a steal. I even like the new cork. This is always a good option.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

At the end of a whiskey night with friends, I sampled OGD side by side with BH, and the taste was similar, but OGD just had so much more of it. I'm a big fan. $35 out the door for the 1.75 is a steal. I even like the new cork. This is always a good option.

I have had only two bottles of BH and liked the flavor. There was just not enough of it. Rather thin, it seems to me, but you really can't expect 80 to be as robust as 100. Did not notice a similarity to BH other than BH was OGD (the man, not the bourbon). When I can get a handle of OGD for the price of a 750 BH, there is no question of which way I go. Truth is, though, I see OGD BIB as the reasonable alternative not to BH but to OGD 114 which I have to buy out of state. Down to one bottle of 114 so time for a road trip. It is really comforting to know I can get the BIB any time I want it. For some reason, I find myself wanting it right now even though it is only 10 a.m..

I've bought only one bottle of OGD BIB and it didn't do it for me. I bought the 114 at the same time and it was so much more flavorful. It's been a couple years since I had it and based on the SB love for it, and its availability, I will revisit it sometime, but it will be in a bar or with a smaller bottle. The price is so reasonable you almost have to buy the 750, but if it turns out to not agree with me I don't want it sitting on my shelf.  It's possible I missed something the first time. 

I like OGD BiB very much but I prefer 114.  They are both great and wouldn't complain about drinking either one.

I really like the BIB version, the 114 was a bit Strong, but im new to this.  I felt like BIB had enough flavor to get you thinking, and keep you engaged, not too "spicy", just enough.  Fantastic value at $20-25 a bottle I think.  Ill try and keep some on hand at all times.  Also have a 114 on hand, for days that require something a little stronger!  I enjoy both.

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I always have OGD (as well as OGD114) in the 'rotation'.     Unlike Harry I sometimes add water or ice, even to the Bond.    I also find OGD or its stronger brother make THE BEST highball with ginger ale.     I too, wish for the old 'orange-screw-cap' to return.    I have a few in the closet; but then it's on to the 'new' fake corks.    Probably a non-issue; but I don't accept such changes well.    I'm old.    I'm crotchety.   I'm probably a curmudgeon.    Deal with it.

Gotta say, Rich, I did all my experimenting with 114 after Squire and you all encouraged me to try it right after I signed up with SB.  I rarely drink the 114 neat (like, almost never).  BUT, I now know how to vary its proof from about 85 to 110 by eyeball  (edit: like you, depending on my mood).  And, I have a stockpile of (well, three)  orange-capped bottles that I decant liter BIB's into.  Less spillage than when pounding a fake cork back in late at night.  I know my limitations.  That highball idea may get tried this weekend  - I have a roast to cook outside and need something to get me through 3 hours of watching smoke waft.  Bourbon and ginger will work just fine.  Thanks.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
insert a parenthetical

OGD BIB and OF BIB are always open and available in my home.  Those two pours will serve every purpose I need, as well as keep the mixer crowd satisfied. 

Everything else I have here is simply excess... in some vain effort to satisfy my gluttonous excess!  :huh:

36 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Everything else I have here is simply excess... in some vain effort to satisfy my gluttonous excess!  :huh:

The cult appreciates your gluttony and is here to encourage more excess.

I have had only two bottles of BH and liked the flavor. There was just not enough of it. Rather thin, it seems to me, but you really can't expect 80 to be as robust as 100. Did not notice a similarity to BH other than BH was OGD (the man, not the bourbon). When I can get a handle of OGD for the price of a 750 BH, there is no question of which way I go. Truth is, though, I see OGD BIB as the reasonable alternative not to BH but to OGD 114 which I have to buy out of state. Down to one bottle of 114 so time for a road trip. It is really comforting to know I can get the BIB any time I want it. For some reason, I find myself wanting it right now even though it is only 10 a.m..

I don't know how similar they really are, the only taste of BH was during a long night, but they tasted very similar at the time. They had the same beam taste to them at least. Both tasted good. The ogd wad just so much more.

Oh, and the 114 just tastes really hot to me. I prefer it with water or ice, and at that point the BIB just becomes easier.

15 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I don't know how similar they really are, the only taste of BH was during a long night, but they tasted very similar at the time. They had the same beam taste to them at least. Both tasted good. The ogd wad just so much more.

They are the same mash bill.  BH had an 8 year age statement until recently.  So BH is supposed to be a bit older than OGD bond, and bottled at a lower proof.

16 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Adding to what Paul said, not only are BH, OGDBIB, and OGD114 the same mashbill, they all use the same unique yeast that is a different yeast than what the rest of the Beam portfolio uses.

I like BH just fine. The low proof and higher price (ostensibly for a little more age) are deterrents to me buying it regularly. What I do like to do with it is to mix in a little OGD114 to get the proof up to 90 or a little more.

I couldn't find a OGD BIB so I picked up a OGD114 instead. First  time for me. So far I like, a lot .

On 5/4/2016 at 7:14 AM, Richnimrod said:

Update - I did try both with ginger ale in a classic highball.  You were right (not that I doubted you).  OGD plus ginger ale over ice cannot be beat.  AND, I didn't set fire to myself or burn the meat while I was doing extensive field testing while cooking outside.

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Update - I did try both with ginger ale in a classic highball.  You were right (not that I doubted you).  OGD plus ginger ale over ice cannot be beat.  AND, I didn't set fire to myself or burn the meat while I was doing extensive field testing while cooking outside.

I'm generally not interested in mixing bourbon with soda but I have to say that your enthusiasm here has me considering it.

I like OGD BIB quite a lot and will readily choose it if available when I'm out. However, I find that when it comes time to purchase a bottle for home consumption I almost always pick OGD 114. BIB is a good all around bottle to have on hand that is tasty enough to enjoy on its own and inexpensive enough to alleviate concerns over guests drowning it in Coke.

OGD BIB is  the  bourbon I drink all the time (along side WT101). I'm never without a bottle in the house.

Edited by ebo

I picked up a bottle for 16 bucks and tried it neat last night. It was a frog-hair spicy with a bit of pepper up front. With me being a OGD BIB virgin, the first sip was into the unknown bourbon I always made fun of in the 70's and 80's and beyond. I took a second sip and as I relaxed and explored the flavors (Barry White Voice) Oh, yeah, baby! 

Edited by Ozark

Ozark - Welcome to the OTHER cult.;)  Also, I've been drinking it for manymany years, but this week was the first time I added a mixer.  Like Jim Beam White and Coke, OGD BIB and ginger ale approaches perfection. ASIDE: I think I'm becoming obsessed with the OGD Highball.  Can't stop thinking about it.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.