Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

The price of either is about twice what I expect to pay for a good grade Bourbon, which both of these two ain't.

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, squire said:

The price of either is about twice what I expect to pay for a good grade Bourbon, which both of these two ain't.

Neither are bourbon.

3 minutes ago, scarter24 said:

Neither are bourbon.

That is very much his point.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

That is very much his point.

Well then his point is moot.

My point is this was clearly a liquor store "huh" moment as the cost of that bottle at my restaurant is $60.71.

21 minutes ago, squire said:

Cost is no measure of worth.

Sure it is. If you like the underlying product.

Edited by scarter24

57 minutes ago, scarter24 said:

Well then his point is moot.

My point is this was clearly a liquor store "huh" moment as the cost of that bottle at my restaurant is $60.71.

I don't think the point is moot.

Good cost for those bottles though when compared to normal cost. If you are you into such things.

• I like it 1

On 5/7/2016 at 8:38 AM, Enoch said:

I've mentioned this before I think but I went into a local store that had Angels Envy Rye marked $45. (It was right next to the regular AE but had its own shelf tag.) I went to the owner and told him I thought it priced was wrong. In a snide voice, he informed me he knew how to manage his store. I bought them all and still enjoying them today.

Same thing happened to me with AE Rye.  I asked the employee who manages the liquor section of the grocery store and she told me it was a pricing mistake, apologizing.  I was hoping she would honor the mismarked price on the bottle but I wasn't going to press her.  I paid the correct $69.99 instead of $44.99 as originally marked but I'm okay with that.

I think I've told this story before in a different thread but it fits here.  I was at my local shop and perusing the whiskey aisle, as is my ritual.  A middle aged gentleman came to the aisle and was looking as well.  Eventually he asked me what I had tried, what I preferred, etc.  I pointed out a couple, thinking he was looking for a recommendation, and described briefly the taste of each.  I think I mentioned the high proof of one in particular, suggesting some water to add, and he said, "Oh, I just mix it with Sprite.  I think I'll go with the usual," and he grabbed a bottle of Willett Pot Still.  I'm not passing judgement, I just had a "huh" moment that he would solicit a recommendation for which bourbon to mix with lemon lime soda...and then pay $45 for a bottle.

Jason

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, squire said:

I was standing in the whisky isle when a well dressed mature lady walked up holding a bottle of Rock Hill Farms and asked me if it was a good Bourbon.  Yes ma'am I responded.  She thanked me and said, "the clerk told me if I had a question about Bourbon I should ask the white haired gentleman on the cane", then she walked off to pay for her purchase.

Don't know if she thought I worked there or something.  Later when I told my son the story he said, "did you get her number, your kinda old yourself".

LOL.  Glad it was you and not me.

19 hours ago, jp_stargazer said:

I think I've told this story before in a different thread but it fits here.  I was at my local shop and perusing the whiskey aisle, as is my ritual.  A middle aged gentleman came to the aisle and was looking as well.  Eventually he asked me what I had tried, what I preferred, etc.  I pointed out a couple, thinking he was looking for a recommendation, and described briefly the taste of each.  I think I mentioned the high proof of one in particular, suggesting some water to add, and he said, "Oh, I just mix it with Sprite.  I think I'll go with the usual," and he grabbed a bottle of Willett Pot Still.  I'm not passing judgement, I just had a "huh" moment that he would solicit a recommendation for which bourbon to mix with lemon lime soda...and then pay $45 for a bottle.

Jason

Reminds me of the story about the customer at Bourbon Bistro in Louisville who ordered Pappy 23 with Coke. The bar tender brought the Pappy with Coke on the side. He refused to pour in the Coke himself. You can have your bourbon any way you want but don't expect me to be an accomplice in malefaction.

• I like it 1

On 5/12/2016 at 9:54 AM, Flyfish said:

Reminds me of the story about the customer at Bourbon Bistro in Louisville who ordered Pappy 23 with Coke. The bar tender brought the Pappy with Coke on the side. He refused to pour in the Coke himself. You can have your bourbon any way you want but don't expect me to be an accomplice in malefaction.

I love that!  Good for the bartender.  He probably didn't get a good tip for doing that but at least his soul is still intact.

Edited by meadeweber
  • I like it 2

8 hours ago, meadeweber said:

I love that!  Good for the bartender.  He probably didn't get a good tip for doing that but at least his soul is still intact.

Maybe get his address, we should all send a tip to that bartender

• I like it 1

As a wine rep I have hundreds of "huh" moments, a la what's the best 25 dollar and above white zin do you have? But, my best bourbon one was a store owner, kinda sorta absentee store owner if you will, anyways I brought up a nice bottle to the store out of my own collection. WFE 12yr store select barrel. The manager is a good friend of mine and I wanted him to try it, just so happens the owner was present. I offered him a pour, he accepted. Took one sniff said "oh man that smells good". Went to the fridge grabbed a canned Coke, popped the top filled the glass up to the brim, downed it quickly and left. Myself and the manager had to pick our jaws up off the floor. Lots of character quirks and back story left out but man, that one was something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, RepTucker said:

As a wine rep I have hundreds of "huh" moments, a la what's the best 25 dollar and above white zin do you have? But, my best bourbon one was a store owner, kinda sorta absentee store owner if you will, anyways I brought up a nice bottle to the store out of my own collection. WFE 12yr store select barrel. The manager is a good friend of mine and I wanted him to try it, just so happens the owner was present. I offered him a pour, he accepted. Took one sniff said "oh man that smells good". Went to the fridge grabbed a canned Coke, popped the top filled the glass up to the brim, downed it quickly and left. Myself and the manager had to pick our jaws up off the floor. Lots of character quirks and back story left out but man, that one was something.

ha, I had to pick my own jaw off the floor after reading that...

• I like it 1

Visiting my local store I just ran into a jackwagon flipper.  In the bourbon aisle a young, new worker came up to me to ask if I needed help.  He started talking about bourbon even though it was pretty clear he didn't know very much.  He brought up Pappy and how hard it was to find.  I said something to the effect of there wouldn't be any Pappy until later this year.  Some guy walking by asked me "how much are you willing to pay for it?"  I gave him a look and said I was good.  This guy starts boasting to the kid about how much bourbon he has and how he bought two cases of Blanton's last month.  I just kept walking right out the door.  

• I like it 1

I have a liquor store "huh" moment every time I walk in to the big box stores and see that prices have gone up yet again. Seems like there's a price hike every two months or so. In addition to our insane taxes, we seem to have some of the highest base prices as well.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I have a liquor store "huh" moment every time I walk in to the big box stores and see that prices have gone up yet again. Seems like there's a price hike every two months or so. In addition to our insane taxes, we seem to have some of the highest base prices as well.

Come to Massachusetts - while we have high taxes on almost everything else, we don't pay taxes on wine, beer or spirits.  What you see on the price tag is what you pay.  And our prices are less than the NH State liquor stores (no taxes, too!) and certainly less than retail in Connecticut and New York.   :lol:

• I like it 1

While visiting one store the clerk saw me checking out the bourbon section, sidled up, and told me out of the corner of his mouth, "we have some Angel's Envy in the back room if you're interested."

I thanked him and then handed him my Old Scout to ring up.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, ken_mays said:

While visiting one store the clerk saw me checking out the bourbon section, sidled up, and told me out of the corner of his mouth, "we have some Angel's Envy in the back room if you're interested."

Haha.

I was at a South Indy store that has probably the largest beer selection.  A woman asks the casheer if they have any Pappy.  I say to the casheer "that has to be a running joke around here".  The woman says "I ask everyplace, and sometimes they have it" :rolleyes: and recently a store sold her a whole case of Zombie Dust (craft beer).  Then the casheer tells me "we had some Pappy, but one guy bought it all.  Then he came back and wanted to see if we could get more".

I was at another store looking at Tequila.  I had a list that I compiled from the Tequila Forum on this site.  The woman working there was interested in my list and we started talking.  I picked out a bottle of Ultimo Agave.  I asked if she had seen any ECBP.  There was a bottle they just got in behind the counter.  I payed MSRP :D, and the woman offered to put me on their list to call when they get VW items.  She said they just start calling and it's who ever gets there first.  I said thanks, but even at retail price I'm interested in other things.

Edited by PaulO

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:25 PM, RepTucker said:

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, DonutsNBourbon said:

ha, I had to pick my own jaw off the floor after reading that...

Unfortunately, nothing about that surprises me anymore. Especially when you described him as an "absentee owner".

On 5/22/2016 at 4:30 PM, ken_mays said:

Could it have been the Cask Strength version?

On May 24, 2016 at 11:40 AM, meadeweber said:

Could it have been the Cask Strength version?

Possibly, though it wasn't stated.  Not really interested in any AE stuff anyway.

Living in PA and being chained to the "state stores," you get "huh" moments almost every time you go in one of the stores. I was VERY surprised when a new younger dude started at our local store and knew exactly what Bottled-In-Bond meant. He said he had official training in wine and spirits a few years back.

• I like it 1