Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

11 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

So is this a case of an establishment unable to control their bartender on straight pours so they shaft the customers instead, 

Yep.

11 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Back in the day, South Carolina was a mini bottle state. No open bottles in the bar. Kind of a pain if you are a bar back (I was). As a consumer, nice knowing you were getting a solid, consistent pour. 

I remember going to Myrtle Beach 30 some years ago and seeing those huge racks of minis along the wall behind the bar. The downside for the consumer was that a tip wasn't going to get you a longer pour. ;)

• I like it 2

Nice how the Bird Dog Maple will set you back a buck more than the Wild Turkey.

It’s the artisanal maple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, BigRich said:

It’s the artisanal maple

Oh, well then.    'Artisanal'?   Hell a bargain, if only a dollar upcharge. 

Anything 'Artisanal' is well worth double whatever the 'regular' stuff goes for. 

...And, if there are any adjectives in addition to artisanal,  well the price is entitled to escalate, almost without limit.  

(I'm thinking about adjectives such as: Straight, Small Batch, Single Barrel, low calorie, fat-free, boneless, gluten-free, et al.)

• I like it 2

On 1/26/2018 at 6:36 PM, Clueby said:

So how do you order it to avoid the $2 surchage?  With water or soda I guess?

Maybe they will pour it directly into your mouth! Or would that be considered neat as well?

What is the name of this place? I need to know so that I can do my best to avoid it...

• I like it 1

I like the idea of just having them add 1 single drop of water.  Its not neat, and its not on the rocks.

• 1 month later...

This one’s a different type of “huh”. There’s one liquor store in my area that’s had 375’s of  Bulleit and Bulleit Rye on sale for $8.99 or $9.99  on and off over the last few months. As of last week, they had a bunch of each on sale again. Today was shopping day, and I stopped in at another store just to take a look. This store had 750’s of Bulleit and Bulleit Rye on sale for $33.99. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

This one’s a different type of “huh”. There’s one liquor store in my area that’s had 375’s of  Bulleit and Bulleit Rye on sale for $8.99 or $9.99  on and off over the last few months. As of last week, they had a bunch of each on sale again. Today was shopping day, and I stopped in at another store just to take a look. This store had 750’s of Bulleit and Bulleit Rye on sale for $33.99. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

About a month ago I found a liquor store that had a 375 Maker’s Mark CS for $16 but the 750 was $69.99. Huh indeed but I bought the 375 before they realized 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

A guy walks in and seems to be in a hurry. He scans quickly up and down the bourbon aisle a couple times. Then he asks the worker.."Dont't you carry Blanton's?" She explains that they do carry it but that they only get it in maybe once a month or once every two months and that when they do its normally gone in an hour.  He shakes his head in what appears to be frustration and disbelief and says "What is it with you guys and Blanton's around here?" She said he might find it a few places (even named one of them) around but at twice the price.....its a matter of if you want it or you want it NOW on what you'll pay. I was going to ask him where he was from but he left as quickly as he came in.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

A guy walks in and seems to be in a hurry. He scans quickly up and down the bourbon aisle a couple times. Then he asks the worker.."Dont't you carry Blanton's?" She explains that they do carry it but that they only get it in maybe once a month or once every two months and that when they do its normally gone in an hour.  He shakes his head in what appears to be frustration and disbelief and says "What is it with you guys and Blanton's around here?" She said he might find it a few places (even named one of them) around but at twice the price.....its a matter of if you want it or you want it NOW on what you'll pay. I was going to ask him where he was from but he left as quickly as he came in.

I love these guys. They seem to really want something and then get pissed off when other people want it too so it isn’t always easy to find. Like, only they should be looking for it or something

• I like it 1

On 5/10/2016 at 10:11 PM, squire said:

The price of either is about twice what I expect to pay for a good grade Bourbon, which both of these two ain't.

I was VERY skeptical about Stranahan's at almost 60-80$ for some upstart distillate around 4 years old.

I by nature don't trust "newer" distilleries of any sort.

And then I was gifted a bottle of yellow label by my love and it is actually a very good bourbon IMO, atleast that bottle was. It is a very oaky bourbon for only 4 years old. I really enjoyed the bottle.

Been seeing the yellow label for 45$ lately which is tempting, if it comes down to $30-$40 I will definitely be buying two bottles.

8 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

I was VERY skeptical about Stranahan's at almost 60-80$ for some upstart distillate around 4 years old.

I by nature don't trust "newer" distilleries of any sort.

And then I was gifted a bottle of yellow label by my love and it is actually a very good bourbon IMO, atleast that bottle was. It is a very oaky bourbon for only 4 years old. I really enjoyed the bottle.

Been seeing the yellow label for 45$ lately which is tempting, if it comes down to $30-$40 I will definitely be buying two bottles.

Just FYI Stanahan's isn't bourbon, it's a 100% malted barley mash. So not bourbon or rye, but closer to an unpeated scotch style spirit. I agree that as far as the smaller craft distilleries go, Stanahan's is pretty okay. I wouldn't pay $60 or so for a bottle, but I enjoyed the glass I had at a bar, which is more than I can say for most craft stuff.

Just FYI Stanahan's isn't bourbon, it's a 100% malted barley mash. So not bourbon or rye, but closer to an unpeated scotch style spirit. I agree that as far as the smaller craft distilleries go, Stanahan's is pretty okay. I wouldn't pay $60 or so for a bottle, but I enjoyed the glass I had at a bar, which is more than I can say for most craft stuff.

Over the last year and a half I've found two different single barrel store picks of Stranahan's that were priced around $40, and they are really good. I was never a buyer of Stranahan's at the introductory price of around $60, but at $40 it's a more compelling purchase and a different diversion...an American Single Malt Whisky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 2

On 2/20/2017 at 7:05 PM, Richnimrod said:

I really do like the 'packaged-in-a-net' offering in your pic, musekatcher.    I'm not sure I'd equate Blanton's with a carp (or is that a sucker?); but I love the comparison, and the pic is quite nice.

Yes its a red horse sucker.  I don't consider Blanton's to be sucker bait.  One of my favorites.  

On 7/29/2017 at 1:32 AM, musekatcher said:

That's odd - Nothing against Stranahan's (Is this Colorado scotch?), but I'm pretty sure Buffalo Trace isn't aware their product is being used to extort sales, much less sales from a competitor. 

It does taste quite like bourbon whiskey. I would not call it a scotch. Maybe they will get their heads together and put out a legitimate bourbon. I will email them about it. 

On 1/26/2018 at 3:53 PM, jvd99 said:

Not an LS moment, but a bar menu.  Notwithstanding the prices, I just don’t understand the “surcharge” notice at the bottom, I mean is there any other common way of ordering off the Whisky menu I don’t know about?

590385FD-3E30-4F1B-B097-D3571D84523C.jpeg

Fuck those assholes!!! I don't care how much selection they have. Neat is the best and cheapest type of pour. Don't ruin my whiskey by adding soda.  I guess I'd ask for it with a side of club soda if it beat the surcharge. Fuggers

On 3/11/2018 at 3:25 PM, Surtur said:

About a month ago I found a liquor store that had a 375 Maker’s Mark CS for $16 but the 750 was $69.99. Huh indeed but I bought the 375 before they realized 

I've been seeing those 375 MMCS for 40$

easy pass.

I like my CS or BP but it's gonna take  while before I buy a 375 for 40$+

15 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I know it's not a bourbon, I slipped in my typing. Thank you for catching that. Tastes like a bourbon though.

I know it's not a bourbon, I slipped in my typing. Thank you for catching that. Tastes like a bourbon though.

Uhh....it doesn’t really taste like a bourbon to me. I like it, and it’s a diversion from bourbon or true scotch, but it’s not bourbon

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Over the last year and a half I've found two different single barrel store picks of Stranahan's that were priced around $40, and they are really good. I was never a buyer of Stranahan's at the introductory price of around $60, but at $40 it's a more compelling purchase and a different diversion...an American Single Malt Whisky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It can be found for $60 or more here every day. A store pick for $40? Too good to pass up IMO.

• I like it 1

From the Virginia ABC website entry for Fighting Cock:

"At 103 proof this bourbon has a substantially bigger kick than your average bourbon. Fighting Cock is truly a bourbon man's bourbon. Most Bourbon is made from grain mixture of corn, barley and wheat. We use rye instead to give Fighting Cock a little extra kick."

I had no idea that "most bourbon" is made from corn, barley, and wheat instead of corn, rye, and barley.:rolleyes:  I'm glad somebody told me THE TRUTH.  I'd hate to not know what I'm drinking.:huh:

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

From the Virginia ABC website entry for Fighting Cock:

"At 103 proof this bourbon has a substantially bigger kick than your average bourbon. Fighting Cock is truly a bourbon man's bourbon. Most Bourbon is made from grain mixture of corn, barley and wheat. We use rye instead to give Fighting Cock a little extra kick."

I had no idea that "most bourbon" is made from corn, barley, and wheat instead of corn, rye, and barley.:rolleyes:  I'm glad somebody told me THE TRUTH.  I'd hate to not know what I'm drinking.:huh:

Hahahahahahaha!

Somehow, a small local liquor store still had a 1990s bottle of Bushmills Black Bush, and that's what they gave me when I asked if they had it. Of course I thought it was a new label/bottle. No, I'd never seen it before because I was a baby when that bottle/label were used! The 2nd time I uncorked it, the cork broke inside the bottle...I swear it didn't taste quite right either. 

A moment of imbecility from me on one hand, but I did keep the bottle for the hell of it. 

• I like it 1