Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

^Amy chance Emeril has connections with BT LE’s through local networking with Sazerac in New Orleans?

I have heard this oft repeated rumor by so many people/locations that I believe it to be true.  Side note, there's a local grocery store there (Not Rouse's) where they apparently ALWAYS have Weller.  I asked how that was possible, and he said some bigwig from BT/Saz lives locally and it's their favorite, so it's readily available in town.  Again, cannot verify this, but it does enhance the Emiril group possibility (as well as a few others).  

• 2 weeks later...

Since there isn't an "Airline Lounge "Huh" Moments" thread, thought I'd post this one here. The lovely Mrs. Vosgar and I are sitting in the Alaska Airlines lounge in Anchorage tonight, waiting for our flight to Chicago. The only bourbon on the shelf is Old Forester 86, so I ask for a pour. I'm told it's part of their "premium" selections and it will cost $7. Shock sets in and I say I'll pass and have a Coke. The attendant then pulls out a bottle of Stillbrook from under the counter and tells me I can have an ounce and a half for free. Remembering that name from days gone by, I ask to look at the bottle. Hmmmmm…….. aged for 36 months in reused oak barrels. I politely tell her I'll stay with the Coke. Probably should've given it a chance, but the odds of it being worth a damn are slim to none.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Since there isn't an "Airline Lounge "Huh" Moments" thread, thought I'd post this one here. The lovely Mrs. Vosgar and I are sitting in the Alaska Airlines lounge in Anchorage tonight, waiting for our flight to Chicago. The only bourbon on the shelf is Old Forester 86, so I ask for a pour. I'm told it's part of their "premium" selections and it will cost $7. Shock sets in and I say I'll pass and have a Coke. The attendant then pulls out a bottle of Stillbrook from under the counter and tells me I can have an ounce and a half for free. Remembering that name from days gone by, I ask to look at the bottle. Hmmmmm…….. aged for 36 months in reused oak barrels. I politely tell her I'll stay with the Coke. Probably should've given it a chance, but the odds of it being worth a damn are slim to none.

OF 86?   Premium pour?   Wow, how would they classify their bottle of ... say... 4-R SB?    ...Or, WTRB?

Of course many things in this part of the world are quite expensive, since so much of it must be shipped in from elsewhere, not to mention the 'captive' clientele who must pay whatever is asked or do without. 

I recall many years ago looking at a half-gallon of milk and seeing it priced at $3.49, when back home in The Mitten State it was around $.88.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, fosmith said:

Whaaaa?  Really?

old fitz 11.jpg

It’s only $400 plus tax in Bardstown, KY (not HH gift shop). 

A real bargain. 

:)

Edited by 0895

At the Vegas LS yesterday-- the customer who was adamant that CEHT Four Grain was shown in stock and therefore available to him was led to the Clyde Mays and was assured the profile and experience would be equal if not better. The place was dripping with Stagg Jr., HPR, multiple (8) Four Roses PS and other solid pours at discounted prices-- so he was just as much to blame. 

• I like it 1

At the Vegas LS yesterday-- the customer who was adamant that CEHT Four Grain was shown in stock and therefore available to him was led to the Clyde Mays and was assured the profile and experience would be equal if not better. The place was dripping with Stagg Jr., HPR, multiple (8) Four Roses PS and other solid pours at discounted prices-- so he was just as much to blame. 

I think the Clyde Mays bourbon is actually pretty decent (likely sourced from HH, which you probably already knew), but obviously not comparable to CEHT Four Grain nor as good as the others you mentioned. So, the novice bourbon customer must share in some of the blame, but the store was also certainly dishonest with him or perhaps just as clueless as the customer.

Not my regular store, but one near me has a pretty extensive lineup of Whistle Pig labels, including the Boss Hog Black Prince sitting on a regular shelf.  The Huh thing is that the BHBP ($499) is on the end of the shelf with no sides, at Butt level,  in a tight and hard to maneuver part of the store.  These things are just itching to be knocked off and broken.  I literally hate to go by there as I’ll be the clod who turns and bends down to pick up a Pikesville and ass whallops $1500 worth of whiskey into oblivion...  ????

Of course, that may be exactly what they want to happen to these overpriced shelf turds...????

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

SNIP...

I literally hate to go by there as I’ll be the clod who turns and bends down to pick up a Pikesville and ass whallops $1500 worth of whiskey into oblivion...  ????

Of course, that may be exactly what they want to happen to these overpriced shelf turds...????

Haha this sounds like me- ???? both in the ass whallops department and sentiment toward the Boss Hog

I went into a new regular store for me and the owner was there. He got excited that I walked in and he ran to get me a bottle of WLW- with a price of $699. That isn’t all that weird these days, but when I declined, he began basically pleading with me to buy it. “Please just take it” well sir, even if I wanted to, my wife might murder me in my sleep, I said back to him thinking surely any man with a wife would relate, also while trying to walk out of the store without further weirdness. “It’s okay, we’ll tear up the receipt and she will never know, come on take it”. Now I’m just feeling like giving it all back to him and told him I would take it if he set up a 30 year mortgage on the bottle and I can pay a few dollars a month. He continues on, telling me this is the only bottle, there won’t be more and even if there was then it will be a different year bottle, etc. I told him its really it that good of whiskey, not for $700 any way and he can call me when it’s $200 or below, just to end this fiasco. This is usually a great store but I’ve never seen an owner so obviously stubborn on price while also price gouging, yet also seemingly desperate to make a sale

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Surtur said:

I went into a new regular store for me and the owner was there. He got excited that I walked in and he ran to get me a bottle of WLW- with a price of $699. That isn’t all that weird these days, but when I declined, he began basically pleading with me to buy it. “Please just take it” well sir, even if I wanted to, my wife might murder me in my sleep, I said back to him thinking surely any man with a wife would relate, also while trying to walk out of the store without further weirdness. “It’s okay, we’ll tear up the receipt and she will never know, come on take it”. Now I’m just feeling like giving it all back to him and told him I would take it if he set up a 30 year mortgage on the bottle and I can pay a few dollars a month. He continues on, telling me this is the only bottle, there won’t be more and even if there was then it will be a different year bottle, etc. I told him its really it that good of whiskey, not for $700 any way and he can call me when it’s $200 or below, just to end this fiasco. This is usually a great store but I’ve never seen an owner so obviously stubborn on price while also price gouging, yet also seemingly desperate to make a sale

The part you don’t know about is that he probably just got his wife’s credit card bill...

;)

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

On 8/13/2018 at 3:11 AM, Surtur said:

Well there is a reason he still has the bottle nearly a year after it's release.  

• I like it 1

Jack Daniel’s Unaged Rye for $150!! Huh? Everything else I saw in this store was very close to MSRP. 

16 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Jack Daniel’s Unaged Rye for $150!! Huh? Everything else I saw in this store was very close to MSRP. 

Pretty odd! Locally my store couldn’t sell it even at the already very high MSRP of around $50. I think the local distributor had to buy it off the shelf to convince the owner to make room on the store shelf for their latest underage overpriced small barrel crap, I mean “craft”, whiskey.

I thought this was funny. Not too often does a store honestly call a spade a spade. This distillery makes awful shit for sure. It gets pushed around here by some because it’s a “local craft” product to the uninformed. I’m sure the people at the distillery weren’t too pleased when this got back to them but if your product sucks, make a better product 

98DDF129-0FFE-4505-A42F-35C8500BBDC2.png

• I like it 13

Liquor Barn in Middletown Kentucky had a special release today with old Carter Stagg jr. Basil Hayden two buy two ride and rhetoric 24 year. everyone in line gets to the front and realizes they are charging secondary prices 200 a bottle for rhetoric 24 old Carter absolutely ridiculous Stagg jr. Was the only thing priced at retail this is getting out of hand

That's why I didn't even bother getting in line this morning at the E'town store.

Kroger had ONE bottle of Blantons. Have not seen it on any shef around here for 2 years. 52 dollars.  It came home with us.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, cdcdguy said:

Kroger had ONE bottle of Blantons. Have not seen it on any shef around here for 2 years. 52 dollars.  It came home with us.

Blanton's for $52?  SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

I find it worth the $60 that I pay here. That is a worthy grab!!!

17 minutes ago, Jav said:

The only time I've seen Blanton's in my town was at a liquor store last Friday.  $350.  No thanks.

That's absurd.  It's $60 here.

2 hours ago, Jav said:

The only time I've seen Blanton's in my town was at a liquor store last Friday.  $350.  No thanks.

That's really not a bad price if the 2 hookers that came with it are std free!!!

• I like it 3