Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

A local store has Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for $99.99, I'm guessing this is waaaaay over priced? Let me know if I'm wrong. I truly do want to know if this is a  good price.  If so, I'm going to pick one up, if not, I'll let it sit and see if it goes on special.

Let it sit! Depending on the market it should be somewhere in the $60 to $80 range, although some areas are able to get it a little cheaper. I can usually find it for $65 to $70, but I also pass on it at $99.99 in stores like you’ve found.
  • I like it 1

A local store has Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for $99.99, I'm guessing this is waaaaay over priced? Let me know if I'm wrong. I truly do want to know if this is a  good price.  If so, I'm going to pick one up, if not, I'll let it sit and see if it goes on special.

Way overpriced. ECBP oddly seems a ghost in Houston. Odd because last time I was in Louisiana they where swimming in it. Also saw a bunch in New York.

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

As of a week ago I can get you the A119 batch for $59.99+tax here in OKC. So I'd def let it sit. I'm guessing it's still available.  

(I'll likely be in Rockwall to visit family in July if you're interested)

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

That seems to be the going rate in Dallas right now, but I don't think it has hit distributors in a while here. I was able to grab some on a trip in Phoenix for $70 and that's about the max I would pay for it.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, afinchmustang said:

That seems to be the going rate in Dallas right now, but I don't think it has hit distributors in a while here. I was able to grab some on a trip in Phoenix for $70 and that's about the max I would pay for it.

I saw one here in Houston for $129.00 "behind the counter", so yeah, no thanks. 

Appreciate the info, going to let it sit and see if they put it "on sale" at some point.

45 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Appreciate the info, going to let it sit and see if they put it "on sale" at some point.

You’ve gotten good advice from veteran bourbon drinkers. Since you asked the question, I’m assuming you’re new to the hobby. Welcome! As a newbie, your perspective is different than most here. 

The price is marked up somewhere between 30-60% depending on where you are. I wouldn’t pay 60% markup on my second bottle but I might consider it on my first. Most all of us have paid that markup for something we wanted that was really good and limited. I know it took me several hours of driving and hunting to find my first ECBP at retail pricing. If I wanted to rationalize overspending and added the cost of my time to the price. Or considered that Booker’s is 6 year BP whiskey at $65 and ECBP is 12 year BP whiskey... 

I’m not saying this is a no brainer. But ECBP is really good and you likely won’t hate yourself or have buyer’s remorse if you pull the trigger. Is it worth the stretch? Not in my market. But if I never had a bottle and knew I loved it... maybe. If you could find it in a bar and try it first, you might be willing to stretch if you’re sure it’s not available elsewhere in your area. See what Total Wine or Specs or another large retailer tells you about availability. Good luck and welcome. 

• I like it 2

Incidentally, as a newbie, BP whiskeys in general may be difficult to start. Again, I’m making assumptions by your question. Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Stagg Jr. and Booker’s are some good BP whiskeys to try and at least two of the three are pretty commonly available for $55-75. Enjoy!

• I like it 3

20 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

wouldn’t pay 60% markup on my second bottle but I might consider it on my first. Most all of us have paid that markup for something we wanted that was really good and limited. 

This is really sound advice IMO.  I completely agree that it is a huge markup.  However, in today's market a 12 year age stated Barrel Proof Whiskey is going to run close to $100.  For example, I would,  and have, snapped any Blaum  Brothers 12 year bottles at $99 and willl continue to do so, although I believe they are gone now..

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

You’ve gotten good advice from veteran bourbon drinkers. Since you asked the question, I’m assuming you’re new to the hobby. Welcome! As a newbie, your perspective is different than most here. 

The price is marked up somewhere between 30-60% depending on where you are. I wouldn’t pay 60% markup on my second bottle but I might consider it on my first. Most all of us have paid that markup for something we wanted that was really good and limited. I know it took me several hours of driving and hunting to find my first ECBP at retail pricing. If I wanted to rationalize overspending and added the cost of my time to the price. Or considered that Booker’s is 6 year BP whiskey at $65 and ECBP is 12 year BP whiskey... 

I’m not saying this is a no brainer. But ECBP is really good and you likely won’t hate yourself or have buyer’s remorse if you pull the trigger. Is it worth the stretch? Not in my market. But if I never had a bottle and knew I loved it... maybe. If you could find it in a bar and try it first, you might be willing to stretch if you’re sure it’s not available elsewhere in your area. See what Total Wine or Specs or another large retailer tells you about availability. Good luck and welcome. 

New to the forum, but not new to drinking bourbon. Been drinking it for around 15 years. Fairly new to the 'higher end' bourbons. For most of my years, I would buy stuff regularly available, so I can tell what a good price is on the regular line of BT, Bulleit, EC, Woodford, etc. The barrel proof versions and what I would consider 'higher end' bourbons, I'm just now starting to dip my to in the water. For years, I would talk myself out of them, couldn't justify the prices (in my mind at the time). Had quite a life changing event happen last year, and my perspective on appreciating the finer things in life has changed. So, I'm now diving into the 'good stuff' as it were.  I do appreciate all  of the input. I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy when I saw the price.  For example, I picked up Booker's and Henry McKenna 10 year today for $64 and $40 respectively, knew those were good prices given I've seen them sitting at another shop for $99 and $69 respectively. The McKenna has skyrocketed in price at most places (at least $10 - 20 increase) since it's world championship win. 

Most things in Dallas or the surrounding areas, if it can be had at Spec's or Total Wine at retail prices, it is gone within hours if not even minutes. 

Edited by FatherOfPugs
  • I like it 2

Found 8 bottles of Blantons on a shelf today, $199

each.  Now it makes sense how there could be so many on the shelf.

Now my closest Kroger grocery store has a glass case of high end bottles behind the customer service counter.

An employee told me there was a problem with shoplifters.

34 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Now my closest Kroger grocery store has a glass case of high end bottles behind the customer service counter.

An employee told me there was a problem with shoplifters.

Haha...Our local Kroger (Brownsburg) has a glass case with a few good bottles along with some that seem odd to lock up.  They keep some bottles like certain Crown Royal bottles at Customer Service.  I haven't seen a 30% off sale for quite a while.

Theres a LS near my job that I found out carries BTAC, etc, but to my surprise (or lack there of) everything is priced at secondary and on the higher side of secondary to make
It even worse!

WLW at $800, ORVW at $1000, PVW15 at $1500, etc etc

I immediately left with sadness, thinking so close, but so far lol

Luckily I’ve had ORVW and although I very much enjoy it, I’d never say it’s worth much more than MSRP, especially with such great bourbons at $30

Was in a Liquor Store in Kentucky yesterday and a customer asks if I know anything about bourbon because she’s from Kansas and her brother asked her to pick up a bottle of something he can’t get back home.  I told her she should get him 4 Roses Small Batch Select  but she didn’t like my answer so she asked the clerk who promptly told her Old Bardstown(Willett Distilled) is only available in Kentucky and no where else. I can’t help but wonder what her brother will say. 

• I like it 1

Was in a Liquor Store in Kentucky yesterday and a customer asks if I know anything about bourbon because she’s from Kansas and her brother asked her to pick up a bottle of something he can’t get back home.  I told her she should get him 4 Roses Small Batch Select  but she didn’t like my answer so she asked the clerk who promptly told her Old Bardstown(Willett Distilled) is only available in Kentucky and no where else. I can’t help but wonder what her brother will say. 

I actually tried some of the Old Bardstown BIB (Willett distillate) this week in Bardstown, thanks to Pete (NovaMan), and I actually liked it. It’s not great bourbon, and there are still better options at a lower price, but it was much better to me than EW BIB. I think I prefer EW 1793 or HH90 6yr, for example, but I’ll pick up a bottle the next time I’m in KY, if I find it for less than $20.
  • I like it 1

On 4/24/2019 at 11:13 AM, Tex Rob said:

I saw one here in Houston for $129.00 "behind the counter", so yeah, no thanks. 

I found a store with 3 or 4 bottles of the ECBP B518 at $59.99.     That's almost a reverse "huh" moment

Edited by skidfive
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, skidfive said:

I found a store with 3 or 4 bottles of the ECBP B518 at $59.99.     That's almost a reverse "huh" moment

I think $59.99 is a good and fair price.  I tried to buy 2 A119 on Sat.  The LS owner said if you buy 3 you can have them at $52.99.  That was easy.....he went in the back and brought out the nice 3PK case.  I'm a big fan of these.

• I like it 8

On 4/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Haha...Our local Kroger (Brownsburg) has a glass case with a few good bottles along with some that seem odd to lock up.  They keep some bottles like certain Crown Royal bottles at Customer Service.  I haven't seen a 30% off sale for quite a while.

They had a 30% off sale around the third week of March; only this time you had to buy 12 bottles for the discount.  I bought nothing.  I'm going to contact the company and tell them 12 bottles is too much.

Even if I did want to participate, unless you get in early the first day - the good stuff will be gone.  Hey, how about a rain check?

I was in Bardstown for our Spring Bash last year. I bought a 750 of Weller SR at one store for $29.99. During our Spring Bash this year, I returned to that same store just in case. As luck would have it, they had a Weller SR. This year it was priced at $69.99. <_<

Joe

On 4/24/2019 at 7:43 AM, afinchmustang said:

I'm taking a trip to Phoenix soon.  Any good liquor stores I should know about??

16 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

I'm taking a trip to Phoenix soon.  Any good liquor stores I should know about??

I was only able to look at grocery stores near where I was staying in Scottsdale; there aren't a ton of liquor stores from what I saw. I went to a smaller chain and they still had a pretty decent selection; probably at least 50 ECBP between the large display and shelves. It might be worth giving Costco a shot while you're there as well. I wish I had some time to explore while I was there, but I didn't see much when I was researching

• 1 month later...

Today, 7 June, while on a regional road trip for "other reasons" (heh heh heh), I took a small detour on the way home and stopped in several stores that usually have some nice things as well as overpriced things.  I passed on basic (NOT store pick) BT 750s @ $45 (yup, $45 and only one per buyer per day; $45 is $15-20 more than I usually see it closer to home) BUT I instead picked up Bakers which was further down the shelf for $46 per 750 (about $8-10 less than I usually see it).  Same place had Weller 12 for $200 which made the store pick OWA @ $60 attractive (at least to me).  I usually like their picks.

Pricing in non-control jurisdictions is CRAZY;  I really have to pay attention to the sticker prices.

On 5/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, afinchmustang said:

I was only able to look at grocery stores near where I was staying in Scottsdale; there aren't a ton of liquor stores from what I saw. I went to a smaller chain and they still had a pretty decent selection; probably at least 50 ECBP between the large display and shelves. It might be worth giving Costco a shot while you're there as well. I wish I had some time to explore while I was there, but I didn't see much when I was researching

Well I went to a Costco in Glendale and didn't see much.  Settled on a 1 Liter of Old Forester Rye from Total Wine.  It got me through my trip!