Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

I mean the ultra-rich have to shop somewhere right?

Let's say your net worth is $100,000,000. Dropping $60,000 on a bottle is roughly equivalent to me splurging on a $180 bottle. That's not to say that I think it's a sensible use of money, but man, if I was richer than Croesus, I would probably make some dumb purchases too.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

When someone buys that, do they haggle or ask for the 10% discount?  Geez

That was after the 10% discount for cash, seriously!  ?

Edited by GeeTen

It's entirely possible that such bottles are purchased as a gift and the price written off as a business expense.

• I like it 1

On 7/11/2019 at 11:11 PM, The Black Tot said:

'Tain't gettin' bought by me, that's for sure.

Heck, my wife's from a family of undertakers.  I could get you a hand-made, burl oak full-size coffin for less than the price of that bourbon.  With the rest of the money, you could buy a lot of top shelf stuff then lay in it and drink yourself to death.:o

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Heck, my wife's from a family of undertakers.  I could get you a hand-made, burl oak full-size coffin for less than the price of that bourbon.  With the rest of the money, you could buy a lot of top shelf stuff then lay in it and drink yourself to death.:o

This is never a thing I knew I wanted, but now I absolutely want a burl oak coffin. Bourbon bottle sized.

• I like it 5

19 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

You guys are looking at it wrong. When people buy bottles like that, it pretty much nearly pays for an entire still full of new distillate.

Well, when you put it that way...C’mon you 1%ers, stop lollygaggin and get to shopping!!! Crack those wallets and start spending already,  times awaistin. Oh and pass on EVERYTHING sub 10K, its all swill and not befitting such refined palates.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

From the breakfast menu the other morning. What's wrong with this picture…

IMG_1933.thumb.jpg.2cd1ac877795d7464fc9b302114727be.jpg

Wow! A lot of those prices make no sense...for example, BH 10yr for $30 while THH is a relatively decent price of $22! I think I’d order the Handy!
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

That has to be baby Saz instead of THH.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

That was my thought exactly.  I would want to see the bottle they pour from.

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Nope-- I was having breakfast at the bar and have known the bartender for years. It was most certainly THH.

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Nope-- I was having breakfast at the bar and have known the bartender for years. It was most certainly THH.

I know what I would have had for breakfast!

5 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I know what I would have had for breakfast!

I actually passed on the THH and went for the Samaroli Guadeloupe and Clément Select Barrel-- seemed a better fit with breakfast.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Uhhhh.....2oz. pours of whiskey for breakfast? :blink:

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

53 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Well, rye whiskey is arguably the closest thing to breakfast on that menu...

just close your eyes and pretend it’s toast. 

:)

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Breakfast of champions!  ?

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a liquor store, but the Big Box store I work for.
We sell beer, wine and liquor in Southern California. Sometimes we get “orphan cases” that aren’t normally sold in our store. Last week it was Four Roses yellow label that they marked down to $9.99 a bottle. I bought 4. Gave one to a neighbor.
A couple of months ago we had Whistle Pig 10 year that the department manager manger marked with the UPC for Jameson. Regularly $24.99, on sale for $21.99 that week. I bought 5 bottles of the 10 year.
There is another whiskey aficionado at work and we check for “Orphan Cases” everyday.

• I like it 2

• 4 months later...

I was at a chain store today, and I saw a liter bottle of a product priced 10% higher than a 1.75 of the same product. I asked a guy working there what was up with that pricing, and the guy said he had double checked it when asked previously, and it was correct. He said “I guess they just really want you to buy the 1.75s for some reason”. Bizarre.

I found a couple places in north Georgia that sells BT 750ml bottles for $49.99 and Eagle Rare for $36. Im not sure what that rationale is 

I found a couple places in north Georgia that sells BT 750ml bottles for $49.99 and Eagle Rare for $36. Im not sure what that rationale is 

Bison are bigger than eagles?
  • I like it 4

19 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I was at a chain store today, and I saw a liter bottle of a product priced 10% higher than a 1.75 of the same product. I asked a guy working there what was up with that pricing, and the guy said he had double checked it when asked previously, and it was correct. He said “I guess they just really want you to buy the 1.75s for some reason”. Bizarre.

Virginia ABC did this with Rare Breed 375s and 750s last year by putting the 375s on sale at a per ounce price about 10% below the 750's per ounce price.  I am somewhat ashamed by my shelf-clearing that store of 375s but internally delighted as were several bourbon persons who got RB grenades for Christmas.

• I like it 3

42 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Virginia ABC did this with Rare Breed 375s and 750s last year by putting the 375s on sale at a per ounce price about 10% below the 750's per ounce price.  I am somewhat ashamed by my shelf-clearing that store of 375s but internally delighted as were several bourbon persons who got RB grenades for Christmas.

The older RB 375mL grenades were the perfect size for holiday gift baskets (plus, it's the perfect egg nog addition).

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

There was only one left when I came across that deal.   Must have been a different store or one was hiding from you.   

When you see something like that, best not to reason why.

• I like it 1

On 7/13/2019 at 11:30 AM, EarthQuake said:

I mean the ultra-rich have to shop somewhere right?

Let's say your net worth is $100,000,000. Dropping $60,000 on a bottle is roughly equivalent to me splurging on a $180 bottle. That's not to say that I think it's a sensible use of money, but man, if I was richer than Croesus, I would probably make some dumb purchases too.

I had to do the math.  Not that I'm remotely curious about how much you're worth, but it was like an SAT problem that needed to be solved.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, afmadd said:

I had to do the math.  Not that I'm remotely curious about how much you're worth, but it was like an SAT problem that needed to be solved.

It's all good, I had to do some math to come up with the figures in the first place, so I appreciate that you took the time to reverse engineer it!

• I like it 1