fenderbender4

Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

PowderKeg
2 hours ago, DCFan said:

It's because you get a healthier pour when ordering neat or with ice. Most bartenders will take care of a neat/ice drinker. With a mixed drink the actual quantity of liquor is hidden with the mix.

So is this a case of an establishment unable to control their bartender on straight pours so they shaft the customers instead, or a case of a dishonest establishment screwing over customers expecting an honest pour because they can't hide a short pour?  The cantankerous side of me, upon seeing an insult like this, would be tempted to call over a manager and LOUDLY question the honesty and integrity of the establishment, before  LOUDLY exiting to an adjacent competitor...

Mako254
2 hours ago, DCFan said:

It's because you get a healthier pour when ordering neat or with ice. Most bartenders will take care of a neat/ice drinker. With a mixed drink the actual quantity of liquor is hidden with the mix.

Back in the day, South Carolina was a mini bottle state. No open bottles in the bar. Kind of a pain if you are a bar back (I was). As a consumer, nice knowing you were getting a solid, consistent pour. 

Marekv8

Nice how the Bird Dog Maple will set you back a buck more than the Wild Turkey.

Kane

We should totally have a thread dedicated to reviewing menus.

DCFan
11 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

So is this a case of an establishment unable to control their bartender on straight pours so they shaft the customers instead, 

Yep.

DCFan
11 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Back in the day, South Carolina was a mini bottle state. No open bottles in the bar. Kind of a pain if you are a bar back (I was). As a consumer, nice knowing you were getting a solid, consistent pour. 

I remember going to Myrtle Beach 30 some years ago and seeing those huge racks of minis along the wall behind the bar. The downside for the consumer was that a tip wasn't going to get you a longer pour. ;)

BigRich
Nice how the Bird Dog Maple will set you back a buck more than the Wild Turkey.

It’s the artisanal maple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richnimrod
22 minutes ago, BigRich said:

It’s the artisanal maple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, well then.    'Artisanal'?   Hell a bargain, if only a dollar upcharge. 

Anything 'Artisanal' is well worth double whatever the 'regular' stuff goes for. 

...And, if there are any adjectives in addition to artisanal,  well the price is entitled to escalate, almost without limit.  

(I'm thinking about adjectives such as: Straight, Small Batch, Single Barrel, low calorie, fat-free, boneless, gluten-free, et al.)

tanstaafl2
On 1/26/2018 at 6:36 PM, Clueby said:

So how do you order it to avoid the $2 surchage?  With water or soda I guess?

Maybe they will pour it directly into your mouth! Or would that be considered neat as well?

What is the name of this place? I need to know so that I can do my best to avoid it...

Clueby

I like the idea of just having them add 1 single drop of water.  Its not neat, and its not on the rocks.