Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

The bottle on the left was purchased a couple of months ago from an online store located in So. Calif.  The bottle on the right was purchased last week from an online store located in the central Calif. coast.  What are the odds of getting two bottles from the same barrel from two different stores located hundreds of miles apart??? 

mckenna.jpg

• I like it 3

42 minutes ago, fosmith said:

The bottle on the left was purchased a couple of months ago from an online store located in So. Calif.  The bottle on the right was purchased last week from an online store located in the central Calif. coast.  What are the odds of getting two bottles from the same barrel from two different stores located hundreds of miles apart??? 

mckenna.jpg

I'd imagine slim but both locations are in California so maybe there's that. 

11 hours ago, fosmith said:

mckenna.jpg

Even though the stores are hundreds of miles apart they might ship out of the same warehouse.  And maybe Mckenna isn't a big seller in Cali. Or maybe not. ????

Edited by DCFan

4 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Same distributor? 

Most likely a distributor in Los Angeles that supplies stores in the central coast area.  Makes sense as there's no large cities on the coast between LA and the Bay Area.  But still, even from the same store, I'd be surprised to get a second bottle from the same barrel more than a month later...  Not complaining, mind you, it's a good barrel and single barrels can be a gamble. 

• I like it 1

I have actually found bottles from the same barrel in different stores in my area a year after my first purchase...obviously because they all came from the same distributor.

The other day I was in a small liquor store. They had most of the standard offerings. They had one very weird thing: standard Four Roses single barrel was priced at 39.99. Standard Four Roses small batch was priced at 79.99.

I asked the reasoning, but the guy working there just gave me an "I dunno".

On 3/11/2018 at 3:25 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

This one’s a different type of “huh”. There’s one liquor store in my area that’s had 375’s of  Bulleit and Bulleit Rye on sale for $8.99 or $9.99  on and off over the last few months. As of last week, they had a bunch of each on sale again. Today was shopping day, and I stopped in at another store just to take a look. This store had 750’s of Bulleit and Bulleit Rye on sale for $33.99. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

Great deal for you!  You never know....maybe the store is phasing out those 375s and just wants to get rid of them?  Maybe the distributor is phasing them out, or trying to stimulate movement by having a big promotion.  I am sure there is a specific market for people that buy 375s and they know who they are.  My guess is that there are reasons for this. 

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, fosmith said:

Online "Huh?!?!"

stagg jr.jpg

How could they lie to us. All these years we thought they were making it in KY. Turns out it's really made in NV. 

;) 

1 minute ago, Lenient said:

How could they lie to us. All these years we thought they were making it in KY. Turns out it's really made in NV. 

;) 

Good one!  :lol:

Hey, it's NYC - what else would you expect?  High prices and misinformation (unless they were referring to a "Non Vintage" whiskey).  LMAO . . . . 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Lenient said:

;) 

I think they are missing another 9 and a decimal point.

53 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I think they are missing another 9 and a decimal point.

You beat me to it Tim.  :P

Biba! Joe

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

Online "Huh?!?!"

stagg jr.jpg

Do you think they'd like to buy the Stagg Jr. I have in the bunker for $499?  I live in WashDC so local laws say they can buy it from me.  Just saying.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey, it's NYC - what else would you expect?  High prices and misinformation (unless they were referring to a "Non Vintage" whiskey).  LMAO . . . . 

I assumed they meant non-vintage. Although the price made me think it was a mistake for the Sr. 

• I like it 1

Yeah, Joe, me too.  But what do us "Novices" know about this stuff, anyways?  ROTFLMAOWDCCOOMN . . . . . . . .

Edited by GeeTen

My liquor store started charging $100 for Elmer T Lee.  I thought to myself since when has ETL become Weller 12???

3 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

My liquor store started charging $100 for Elmer T Lee.  I thought to myself since when has ETL become Weller 12???

If they're going by secondary prices (and it certainly seems that way), than I think the two bottles are just about equal value.

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Yeah, Joe, me too.  But what do us "Novices" know about this stuff, anyways?  ROTFLMAOWDCCOOMN . . . . . . . .

Yeah, ok.  I'll be the dumbass.  WTF is WDCCOOMN?  I figure W = while but can't get anything to fit DCCOOMN except some really filthy four-letter word strings.B)  If'n this requires a PM, please do so.  I'm sitting here with baited breath finishing off an OGD BIB bottle while watching the Nats LOSE to the Braves (yeah, gloat, Joe.  After what you've suffered through the last two years, you've earned it).

Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A$$ Off With Diet Coke Coming Out Of My Nose.

13 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

That's a surprisingly widely-applicable and reusable acronym. I'll be borrowing that, thanks! ;)

20 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

More often than not, you never fail to amuse me G.    ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

TNFWIGTRWTM.

OR, there's no way I'm going to remember what that means.  OTOH, Nats WON!  I feel sort of sorry for smokinjoe.  All that good bourbon consumed in a losing cause.  By joe, not by me.  Used the 1792 BP in a cocktail - 1792+orange bitters+Blood Orange Soda from Wegmans over ice.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

TNFWIGTRWTM.

OR, there's no way I'm going to remember what that means.  OTOH, Nats WON!  I feel sort of sorry for smokinjoe.  All that good bourbon consumed in a losing cause.  By joe, not by me.  Used the 1792 BP in a cocktail - 1792+orange bitters+Blood Orange Soda from Wegmans over ice.

I’m liking the sound of that cocktail, Harry! Buying me some blood orange Sodey water tomorrow.  And, I appreciate your condolences.  Scherzer?  Really?  That’s the guy who comes in as a pinch hitter and gets the rally starting hit?  Baseball.  The greatest game.  

• I like it 1