fenderbender4

Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

mikeydk
20 hours ago, PaulO said:

My guess is most of the refilled bottles get sold to new enthusiasts via social media.

When it comes to LE bottles, I've always heard on premise accounts (restaurants and bars) get the first pick.  Everyone else gets what's left over, if any. 

I agree with your guess.  The restaurant business, especially the high end super groups, is all about relationships.  Emiril has been around a long time, and has established tight business relationships with enhanced buying power.  You make whiskey?  You want it in is places because he will showcase it and move volume.  With the brands now wanting impressions per bottle, it makes sense that they end up in restaurants and bars first, liquor stores second.  

I do wonder what Bobby Flay did that he never gets replacements at Mesa Grill. :)  

HoustonNit

^Amy chance Emeril has connections with BT LE’s through local networking with Sazerac in New Orleans?

• I like it 1

mikeydk
10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

^Amy chance Emeril has connections with BT LE’s through local networking with Sazerac in New Orleans?

I have heard this oft repeated rumor by so many people/locations that I believe it to be true.  Side note, there's a local grocery store there (Not Rouse's) where they apparently ALWAYS have Weller.  I asked how that was possible, and he said some bigwig from BT/Saz lives locally and it's their favorite, so it's readily available in town.  Again, cannot verify this, but it does enhance the Emiril group possibility (as well as a few others).  

Vosgar

Since there isn't an "Airline Lounge "Huh" Moments" thread, thought I'd post this one here. The lovely Mrs. Vosgar and I are sitting in the Alaska Airlines lounge in Anchorage tonight, waiting for our flight to Chicago. The only bourbon on the shelf is Old Forester 86, so I ask for a pour. I'm told it's part of their "premium" selections and it will cost $7. Shock sets in and I say I'll pass and have a Coke. The attendant then pulls out a bottle of Stillbrook from under the counter and tells me I can have an ounce and a half for free. Remembering that name from days gone by, I ask to look at the bottle. Hmmmmm…….. aged for 36 months in reused oak barrels. I politely tell her I'll stay with the Coke. Probably should've given it a chance, but the odds of it being worth a damn are slim to none.

Richnimrod
4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Since there isn't an "Airline Lounge "Huh" Moments" thread, thought I'd post this one here. The lovely Mrs. Vosgar and I are sitting in the Alaska Airlines lounge in Anchorage tonight, waiting for our flight to Chicago. The only bourbon on the shelf is Old Forester 86, so I ask for a pour. I'm told it's part of their "premium" selections and it will cost $7. Shock sets in and I say I'll pass and have a Coke. The attendant then pulls out a bottle of Stillbrook from under the counter and tells me I can have an ounce and a half for free. Remembering that name from days gone by, I ask to look at the bottle. Hmmmmm…….. aged for 36 months in reused oak barrels. I politely tell her I'll stay with the Coke. Probably should've given it a chance, but the odds of it being worth a damn are slim to none.

OF 86?   Premium pour?   Wow, how would they classify their bottle of ... say... 4-R SB?    ...Or, WTRB?

Of course many things in this part of the world are quite expensive, since so much of it must be shipped in from elsewhere, not to mention the 'captive' clientele who must pay whatever is asked or do without. 

I recall many years ago looking at a half-gallon of milk and seeing it priced at $3.49, when back home in The Mitten State it was around $.88.