Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

5 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

I actually really dislike WSR, rates just above standard MM for me (not saying much).

I'll say it - I prefer MM to WSR...

• I like it 3

For less than $20 it’s perfectly fine, even good. I don’t ever crave it but it’s good at the end of the night when my palate is shot or if I’ve got a long night of poker ahead of me and want to pace myself. Yes, it’s ordinary, but so is Blanton’s to me, and I have plenty of WSR on hand and don’t feel guilty to drink it in bunches. It’s biggest flaw is sharing a name with some truly high QPR bourbons and a BTAC superstar. Keep making the WSR

On a fishing trip at Land Between the lakes (Eddyville, KY), stopped at a small liquor store noticed they had 1792 225th 10 deep on shelf at 39$.  Grabbed 3, went to counter they had EHT SMB 40$, EHT RYE 75$, KY OWEL 11YR 299$ AND 1792 FP at 85$....  asked why 1792 FP was so high and he said its becuase of demand for it....  Then went down street to anoyhrr shop they had 1792 SB for 59$ and Stagg Jr. For 59$ and ECB A for 99$..  pricing was all over the place...

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Kane said:

Big notice on the shelf "If you like THH you'll love this!!!" Pikesville for $60. Yeah, no.

Well, at least it wasn't something completely stupid behind that shelf talker.

11 hours ago, Kane said:

Big notice on the shelf "If you like THH you'll love this!!!" Pikesville for $60. Yeah, no.

Works for me, not that there all that similar but that I like both just about the same.

• I like it 2

I was was in Busan RoK recently and the only American Whiskeys that I could find were Jim Beam White Label and Jack Daniels. Had a broader selection of Scotches. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 3:38 PM, BottledInBond said:

98DDF129-0FFE-4505-A42F-35C8500BBDC2.png

These are good people! Model retail citizens! I hope this catches on with retailers, and they become open about what batches/etc are swill instead of putting lipstick on these pigs. 

• I like it 1

On 9/29/2018 at 1:33 PM, jvd99 said:

If that bottle of Pappy you chased down for years doesn’t taste as good as the hype, throw one of these in and supercharge into Pappiez!!

2F8E2BB8-A72D-4296-9A55-98232BBA795C.jpeg

Has anyone tried this? Doesn't seem immediately useful for most drinkable bourbon, but maybe if you wanted to add some wood to a lighter liquor? Website claims to laser open every wood pore for maximum liquor speed-aging action.

Snake oil and malarky? Nonsense trinket?  Maybe it has some application, but I dunno. I am intrigued.

On 10/21/2018 at 5:19 PM, Clueby said:

Just heard two guys discussing making their own distilled spirits out of grapes. Guy said his last batch was over 200 proof. :D  He also said he distills kiwi and watermelon.

That 214 proof hits hard lol.  Wow, them some rocket quality scientists there.

2 hours ago, Dannabis said:

Has anyone tried this? Doesn't seem immediately useful for most drinkable bourbon, but maybe if you wanted to add some wood to a lighter liquor? Website claims to laser open every wood pore for maximum liquor speed-aging action.

Snake oil and malarky? Nonsense trinket?  Maybe it has some application, but I dunno. I am intrigued.

Hmmmm.   I'd stay skeptical, and avoid being too intrigued.    I can't believe this would give much of value to anything above very young stuff (white dog, or rushed-to-market craft swill).   ...The kind of thing you shouldn't be opening your wallet for in the first place.   Just my own humble opinion of course, you may feel differently about the experimentation component of it.

I have a "liquor store huh moment" every time I enter a liquor store and see the bourbon prices.

Haha very true! Every time I hear what bourbon prices are in the US compared to the premium prices in Canada, I get a huh moment..

• 1 month later...

Total Wine (at least the one near me) started up with this neat trick.  A $10 upcharge for the privilege of acquiring their PS RRSiB over the standard RRSiB.  Such a deal!  

Capture+_2019-03-29-08-28-29.png

It's been that way at one of my local stores here as well for a few months.

21 minutes ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Total Wine (at least the one near me) started up with this neat trick.  A $10 upcharge for the privilege of acquiring their PS RRSiB over the standard RRSiB.  Such a deal!  

Sometimes they have 10% off coupons for their "Spirits Direct" selections so that would ease the pain somewhat...

• I like it 1

Blantons is now going for around a Benjamin in my neck of the woods. For me that's a huh. It's good but not that good.

Blantons is now going for around a Benjamin in my neck of the woods. For me that's a huh. It's good but not that good.

Agreed. I’ve always liked it quite a bit but the last one I bought was $75 and I won’t do that again.

1710769301_Capture_2019-03-29-08-28-29.thumb.png.be487800912c0f7bc2fe8b2920050a26.png

TW seems to do this was everything, it amazes me as they tend to have the highest priced private selections.

TW seems to do this was everything, it amazes me as they tend to have the highest priced private selections.

Because their picking crew is AWESOME!!!!! [emoji41]

10 hours ago, BigRich said:

Because their picking crew is AWESOME!!!!! emoji41.png

...At least in their own humble opinion, eh?         I however, do not agree.    I bought one of their overpriced picks... ONCE.   Won't do that again, as it was a hot mess ....to my taste buddies, at any rate.

13 hours ago, BigRich said:

Yes, they're a legend in their own mind. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, BigRich said:

Yeah, probably the same folks that tell you high priced young craft whiskey is what you should be buying.  Ha-ha  

• I like it 2