Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

• 3 weeks later...

At Kroger today. The box is empty. You take to the office and they sell you ONE. I got one a month or two ago. They must only have a few because the box goes off and on the shelf as we shop there every week. A steal for sure.

image.jpg

• I like it 1

Visited a liquor store in Madison, Wi. I had heard had a decent selection.  They did have a few store picks of standard bottles. Knob Creek, Russels and a few others.  When I asked if they had any special releases or age stated Old Scout or such he said no. " But these picks we made on these single barrels we sampled a whole bunch of barrels and then chose one and had them "teak" it to our instructions  before it was bottled."  "Really" I said "Are you allowed  to tell me what the "tweaks" were" ?  "No I couldn't do that it's our own secret recipe."  :lol::lol:

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

Visited a liquor store in Madison, Wi. I had heard had a decent selection.  They did have a few store picks of standard bottles. Knob Creek, Russels and a few others.  When I asked if they had any special releases or age stated Old Scout or such he said no. " But these picks we made on these single barrels we sampled a whole bunch of barrels and then chose one and had them "teak" it to our instructions  before it was bottled."  "Really" I said "Are you allowed  to tell me what the "tweaks" were" ?  "No I couldn't do that it's our own secret recipe."  :lol::lol:

Sounds like some of the things I’ve heard from Steve’s in the past. :unsure:

Joe

• I like it 1

At Kroger today. The box is empty. You take to the office and they sell you ONE. I got one a month or two ago. They must only have a few because the box goes off and on the shelf as we shop there every week. A steal for sure.
image.thumb.jpg.271236796d7fa753e40e01822ef87edc.jpg

I don’t know man, for that price I would put up with a lot.
  • I like it 1

Just heard two guys discussing making their own distilled spirits out of grapes. Guy said his last batch was over 200 proof. :D  He also said he distills kiwi and watermelon.

• I like it 5

6 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

Sounds like the basis for a new Templeton Rye private barrel program, you pick the barrel and tweak it with additives to create your own grandpappies pre-prohibition formula.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

image.jpg

You have to buy a total of six bottles to get the $45.04 price.  So one Blanton's, mix and match five non-allocated items.

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Sounds like the basis for a new Templeton Rye private barrel program, you pick the barrel and tweak it with additives to create your own grandpappies pre-prohibition formula.

Ha!

Yeah, that sounds good in theory, but a lot of it would end up tasting of hard farm life and hoarding...

good news is you can buy a whole bottle for a nickel!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

"tasting of hard farm life and hoarding..."

That almost made me spill my coffee!  it reminded me of a Patton Oswalt routine where he described a certain fast food offering as "failure pile in a sadness bowl".

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

You have to buy a total of six bottles to get the $45.04 price.  So one Blanton's, mix and match five non-allocated items.

Oh that's how it works. Still without the discount 52.99 is pretty fantastic.

• I like it 1

I got a phone call today from one saying they got a bottle of WSR.  Not 107, not 12, but regular old WSR.  Is this what it’s come to now?  I get special phone calls for WSR???  What a time to be alive...

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

3 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I got a phone call today from one saying they got a bottle of WSR.  Not 107, not 12, but regular old WSR.  Is this what it’s come to now?  I get special phone calls for WSR???  What a time to be alive...

I hafta tell ya', O1K; It's always a great time to be alive.    ...Or at least it's never a good time to be otherwise... as far as I know...

• I like it 6

10 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The infatuation among consumers (mostly newer consumers, I presume) over the WSR, where it is treated almost like a LE and people pay incredible markups on it, is just baffling to me. Frankly I’ve only had a few bottles of it, but that’s because it is just so “meh” to me every time I’ve tried it. Sure, I love the OWA and W12 as much as the next guy, but the WSR is just above an entry offering IMO, languishing in mediocrity and riding a wave of pure hype... that said, I was looking for a bottle recently because I wanted to do a low cost wheater, low rye, high rye mashbill blind tasting, and I have not seen it for months!

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The infatuation among consumers (mostly newer consumers, I presume) over the WSR, where it is treated almost like a LE and people pay incredible markups on it, is just baffling to me. Frankly I’ve only had a few bottles of it, but that’s becaise it is just so “meh” to me every time I’ve tried it. Sure, I love the OWA and W12 as much as he next guy, but the WSR is just above an entry offering IMO, languishing in mediocrity and riding a wave of pure hype... that said, I was looking for a bottle recently because I wanted to do a low cost wheater, low rye, high rye mashbill blind tasting, and I have not seen it for months!

I still haven't cracked my bottle of WSR.  I've tried W12 and OWA and loved them both.  How does WSR compare?

@PhantomLamb as I said, mediocre at best IMO. Smooth and inoffensive but very little character on my palate. To compare to other BT offerings, I would say it’s roughly equivalent to the standard BT, whereas OWA and W12 would equate to maybe EHTsmB and Blanton’s, respectively (I know I know, I’m mixing-up mashbills in this analogy). The regular BT doesn’t do much for me either, but I would take it ten times out of ten over WSR. Just one mans humble opinion, I’m sure others disagree.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

@PhantomLamb as I said, mediocre at best IMO. Smooth and inoffensive but very little character on my palate. To compare to other BT offerings, I would say it’s roughly equivalent to the standard BT, whereas OWA and W12 would equate to maybe EHTsmB and Blanton’s, respectively (I know I know, I’m mixing-up mashbills in this analogy). The regular BT doesn’t do much for me either, but I would take it ten times out of ten over WSR. Just one mans humble opinion, I’m sure others disagree.

Cool, good to know!  Honestly, BT is a go-to for me and an excellent mixer.  Will share my thoughts on WSR when I get around to opening it...

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Cool, good to know!  Honestly, BT is a go-to for me and an excellent mixer.  Will share my thoughts on WSR when I get around to opening it...

I guess thats my point: I would not use OWA, W12, EHT, or Blanton’s as a mixer, but BT or WSR, why not?

6 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I guess thats my point: I would not use OWA, W12, EHT, or Blanton’s as a mixer, but BT or WSR, why not?

Only thing I mix with OWA and W12 is each other.

15 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Only thing I mix with OWA and W12 is each other.

Not quite Joe’s Weller Blend, but you have my blessing. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Agree with all of the above. WSR is great for what it is.  Think BigSky had it correct as smooth,  easy drinking.  No reason to hold out on opening Phantom.  Last time I bought a bottle the price had "crept up" to $18.99 which is only $1 less then OWA which makes it somewhat "expensive" now.  Not worth seeking out or paying much over $20, but a nice solid pour.

WSR is good for it’s msrp price, that’s about it.  No hate, I’ll drink it, but it’s nothing to call me for to hold & pick up.  I appreciate their effort to call me, I really do, but I’m good.  Maybe they’ll call me on something else worth it in the future. ;)

I actually really dislike WSR, rates just above standard MM for me (not saying much).

Was recently in Seoul (talk about a bourbon desert in general due to beyond the importation just a low ranking in terms of priority for distributors) and saw a bottle of W107 for $90.  The real funny moment was seeing Bulleitt for ~$80 and Buffalo Trace for ~$50...needless to say bought the $50 BT.  Stupid?  Yeah but as much as I like soju mixed with stuff I couldn't last three weeks on it.

1 hour ago, fenderbender4 said:

I actually really dislike WSR, rates just above standard MM for me (not saying much).

Was recently in Seoul (talk about a bourbon desert in general due to beyond the importation just a low ranking in terms of priority for distributors) and saw a bottle of W107 for $90.  The real funny moment was seeing Bulleitt for ~$80 and Buffalo Trace for ~$50...needless to say bought the $50 BT.  Stupid?  Yeah but as much as I like soju mixed with stuff I couldn't last three weeks on it.

I drank JD in China a few years back because there were no other options. You do what you gotta do. On our last day there I came across some Beam while label and thought I had hit the lottery.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Agree with all of the above. WSR is great for what it is.  Think BigSky had it correct as smooth,  easy drinking.  No reason to hold out on opening Phantom.  Last time I bought a bottle the price had "crept up" to $18.99 which is only $1 less then OWA which makes it somewhat "expensive" now.  Not worth seeking out or paying much over $20, but a nice solid pour.

It's a pain in the rear to find here in PA which is why I'm holding out I guess.  After tasting OWA and W12, I'm sold but can't find any here.  May have to make a trip to Ohio for these...